Wayne.B

Default Naples, Florida - New Speed Restrictions

The Naples city council has just approved a new slow speed zone for
most of Naples harbor, at least during certain hours. This was
supposedly advocated by a group named the South Florida Conservancy.

Does anyone know the politics of this situation, and how a major
boating town like Naples could let this group get control? I'm of the
opinion that boaters need to get organized and find ways of nipping
these proposals in the beginning stages, and make it financially
painful for groups that sponsor this sort of legislation.

We also need to realize that irresponsible operation of PWCs and noisy
go fasts is frequently a big part of the problem and we're all
suffering for it.
Short Wave Sportfishing

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 22:05:22 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

The Naples city council has just approved a new slow speed zone for
most of Naples harbor, at least during certain hours. This was
supposedly advocated by a group named the South Florida Conservancy.

Does anyone know the politics of this situation, and how a major
boating town like Naples could let this group get control? I'm of the
opinion that boaters need to get organized and find ways of nipping
these proposals in the beginning stages, and make it financially
painful for groups that sponsor this sort of legislation.

We also need to realize that irresponsible operation of PWCs and noisy
go fasts is frequently a big part of the problem and we're all
suffering for it.

I can tell you the experience of a fishing group that I'm a member of.
They instigated "Freedom to Fish" legislation due to a growing effort
on the part of landowners to keep their beaches clear of "riff raff".

It languished for several years until one of the more active members
of the club formed a PAC, made a few campaign contributions to certain
members of the state legislature and guess what?

The measure passed and was signed into law by the Govenor in record
time.

What the boaters need to do is get together under a universal
umbrella, elect a spokesman, make some contributions and get done what
needs to get done.

Simple in concept - not so simple in execution.

Take care.

Tom

"The beatings will stop when morale improves."
E. Teach, 1717
Marc Auslander

As a sailboat sailor, I can tell you that the biggest speed problem in
tight areas is neither the PCW or a planning boat like a "go fast".
Its the big motor yachts using giant engines to plow through the water
at speed that create wakes which can literally put green water over
the bow of a nearby boat. IIRC, a death was caused a few years ago in
Gardners Bay, Long Island when a small anchored boat was swamped and
overturned by such a wake. The big boys coming out of Sag Harbor are
something to behold - the arrogant b......s.

Wayne.B writes:

The Naples city council has just approved a new slow speed zone for
most of Naples harbor, at least during certain hours. This was
supposedly advocated by a group named the South Florida Conservancy.

Does anyone know the politics of this situation, and how a major
boating town like Naples could let this group get control? I'm of the
opinion that boaters need to get organized and find ways of nipping
these proposals in the beginning stages, and make it financially
painful for groups that sponsor this sort of legislation.

We also need to realize that irresponsible operation of PWCs and noisy
go fasts is frequently a big part of the problem and we're all
suffering for it.

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 23:07:51 GMT, Marc Auslander
wrote:

As a sailboat sailor, I can tell you that the biggest speed problem in
tight areas is neither the PCW or a planning boat like a "go fast".
Its the big motor yachts using giant engines to plow through the water
at speed that create wakes which can literally put green water over
the bow of a nearby boat. IIRC, a death was caused a few years ago in
Gardners Bay, Long Island when a small anchored boat was swamped and
overturned by such a wake. The big boys coming out of Sag Harbor are
something to behold - the arrogant b......s.

Try fishing the Westerly, RI reef when one of those mega-yachts on
their way to Newport runs up the channel from Mystic.

I've got 32 feet of center console and have almost been swamped by
some of those nimrods.

Damn furriniers....... :)

All the best,

Tom
--------------

"What the hell's the deal with this newsgroup...
is there a computer terminal in the day room of
some looney bin somewhere?"

Bilgeman - circa 2004
Wayne.B

wrote:
As a sailboat sailor, I can tell you that the biggest speed problem in
tight areas is neither the PCW or a planning boat like a "go fast".
Its the big motor yachts using giant engines to plow through the water
at speed that create wakes which can literally put green water over
the bow of a nearby boat.

============================

The biggest wake I've ever seen on the water was caused by a tugboat
in a hurry although some of the fast freighters can throw up a pretty
good wall of water as well.

There ARE some legit issues with wakes but I don't think that's what
is behind these so called "Conservancy" organizations. Most of them
seem to be non-boaters who wouldn't know a large wake from Finnigan's
Wake.

The PWCs and loud go fasts get the attention of the folks on shore.

Short Wave Sportfishing

wrote:
As a sailboat sailor, I can tell you that the biggest speed problem in
tight areas is neither the PCW or a planning boat like a "go fast".
Its the big motor yachts using giant engines to plow through the water
at speed that create wakes which can literally put green water over
the bow of a nearby boat.

============================

The biggest wake I've ever seen on the water was caused by a tugboat
in a hurry although some of the fast freighters can throw up a pretty
good wall of water as well.

There ARE some legit issues with wakes but I don't think that's what
is behind these so called "Conservancy" organizations. Most of them
seem to be non-boaters who wouldn't know a large wake from Finnigan's
Wake.

The PWCs and loud go fasts get the attention of the folks on shore.

Well, we are starting to see this nonsense up here now - down in
Branford and over in Newport. Curious about the Newport because the
big yachts are the ones creating the problem.

Later,

Tom

"Beware the one legged man in a butt
kicking contest - he is there for a
reason."

Wun Hung Lo - date unknown

Wayne.B

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 10:23:03 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

The PWCs and loud go fasts get the attention of the folks on shore.

Well, we are starting to see this nonsense up here now - down in
Branford and over in Newport. Curious about the Newport because the
big yachts are the ones creating the problem.

It's all perception and who has the political power. If you have a
place on or near the water and some yahoo persists in doing donuts in
front of your house on a PWC, or rattling your windows with his
exhaust or stereo, you will soon find someone who can take action.

Enter tthe "Conservancy" folks.

Greg

Read the action alerts from the Save The Manatee Club. You will quickly figure
out why any body of water in SW Fla suddenly becomes slow/no wake.
Theitr objective is to "no wake" everything inshore of the COLREG line
Frank

Yep, they've already messed up the St. Johns River. It takes me 90 minuits
to get from the dock to a spot that's not "minimum speed". Get organized
now my friend.

Frank
--
Start engine, untie, enjoy
_________________________

Georgie Porgie Puddin Pie
Killed our troops with a lie,
And before the killin's done,
Maybe next will be your son

Oil prices jumped sky high,
Education's been left dry,
Old folks cry for a crust of bread,
I'm sure he'd rather they were dead

Debt's so high, I cannot cope,
Even my grandchild has no hope,
Healthcare is only for the rich,
Hey man, ain't that a bitch,

Kerry's a flopper, that may be true,
But Bush don't care a damn for you,
His Rush-nazi buddies, say no fair,
Tax me not and jobs will bear,

35 million lost last year,
Did republicans even shed a tear?
Suffer more, you poor, as long as I profit,
Now we say, Georgie stop it!

Have to put a end to you,
For the good, of the red, white and blue.