Short Wave Sportfishing

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 22:05:22 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

The Naples city council has just approved a new slow speed zone for
most of Naples harbor, at least during certain hours. This was
supposedly advocated by a group named the South Florida Conservancy.

Does anyone know the politics of this situation, and how a major
boating town like Naples could let this group get control? I'm of the
opinion that boaters need to get organized and find ways of nipping
these proposals in the beginning stages, and make it financially
painful for groups that sponsor this sort of legislation.

We also need to realize that irresponsible operation of PWCs and noisy
go fasts is frequently a big part of the problem and we're all
suffering for it.

I can tell you the experience of a fishing group that I'm a member of.
They instigated "Freedom to Fish" legislation due to a growing effort
on the part of landowners to keep their beaches clear of "riff raff".

It languished for several years until one of the more active members
of the club formed a PAC, made a few campaign contributions to certain
members of the state legislature and guess what?

The measure passed and was signed into law by the Govenor in record
time.

What the boaters need to do is get together under a universal
umbrella, elect a spokesman, make some contributions and get done what
needs to get done.

Simple in concept - not so simple in execution.

Take care.

Tom

"The beatings will stop when morale improves."
E. Teach, 1717