Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Gary

Default HMS permit

OK...I know...this is a boating group, but since boating and fishing go hand
in hand, and since the sal****er fishing group is almost completely dead and
there seems to be a lot of expertise here, I thought I'd try here as well.

I recently purchased an offshore fishing boat. I need to obtain one of
those permits that used to be called a Tuna permit and is now called a HMS
permit I think. I called to order one and was told that I can't get one
until my federal documentation paperwork is finished...a process that the
broker told me could take 6 months! I can't believe this is true. I
mean...I pay 160K for a boat and can't fish on it for 6 months because I
need to obtain a 22 dollar permit that they won't issue until they get
around to finishing my paperwork!

Is this really true? I've fished all of my life, but this is the first boat
I've owned. I really wonder if the number they need is simply the Hull
Identification Number...which isn't going to change, or will I be issued a
documentation number when the process is complete and that's what they need
to issue the HMS permit?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Gary