Michael

Default Permit required to leave the US by boat

As a US owned and registered boat (state/fed doesn't matter) you are
always under the jurisdiction of the USCG as a minimum. The permit for
leaving. Most of us call it a passport.

Nothing new there. Yesterdays stuff. The people want to move on ..... (I
remember that lastline from somewhere but where?)

M.

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
I don't know what the limit on the Pacific Coast is... 3 miles I thought,
but when we were off San Diego about 200 miles, we were overflown
by a CG search and rescue. Clearly, they knew were there and came
over for a look-see.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"FamilySailor" wrote in message
In Texas the State has jurisdiction out 3 miles. If you are more that 3
miles offshore you are out of the state, but the line for the US goes

out
into the Gulf of Mexico until it borders Mexican waters and that

is........
not sure exactly, but over 150 miles offshore. The US / Mexican border

runs
straight out from where the Rio Grand river spills into the Gulf of

Mexico.
I know, because I commercial fished along the line 20 years ago and

Mexican
gun boats ran along the line looking for boats that floated across that

line
staying by their fishing gear as it drifted. They would confiscate your
boat, gear, crew and you and throw you in jail, until your family could

pay
some ungodly $200,000 fine or more, depending on how nice your boat was

and
how much they thought your family might have. I would have rotted there.

Not sure how far it extends out in the Atlantic or Pacific. I know there

are
no international water in the Gulf of Mexico though.

Sea Yawl,
John

Vito

"krj" wrote in message
. ..
....The new restrictions, part of the Bush administration's crackdown on
travel to Cuba, prevent boaters from leaving any part of the United
States without first getting a permit, not just from the Coast Guard,
but also from the U.S. Treasury and Commerce departments.

Ahhh, err, what does "leaving the US" mean? Can I sail just outside the
limit to dump tanks then return? Sail out far enough to catch the gulf
stream going to Newport?

Sounds like great material for a Rush Limbaugh type comedian.

krj

The article was unclear as to what "leaving the US" meant. I don't think
my sailing from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale and going out 4 milew to catch
the stream and dump the tanks are "leaving the US", but we are outside
the 3 mile limit so technically I suppose we "left the US" if we were to
be stopped by the coasties.
krj

Vito wrote:

"krj" wrote in message
. ..

....The new restrictions, part of the Bush administration's crackdown on
travel to Cuba, prevent boaters from leaving any part of the United
States without first getting a permit, not just from the Coast Guard,
but also from the U.S. Treasury and Commerce departments.

Ahhh, err, what does "leaving the US" mean? Can I sail just outside the
limit to dump tanks then return? Sail out far enough to catch the gulf
stream going to Newport?

Sounds like great material for a Rush Limbaugh type comedian.

FamilySailor

If there are any drilling rigs within a few hundred miles of the East or
West coast, my bet is they extended the US border to include it so it could
be taxed!

FamilySailor

Next time they fly over have your crew dress in Arab garb and wrap a towel
around their head and then you can talk and visit with the Coast Guard in
person and give them a tour of your boat. You might even get a tow back.

I don't know what the limit on the Pacific Coast is... 3 miles I thought,
but when we were off San Diego about 200 miles, we were overflown
by a CG search and rescue. Clearly, they knew were there and came
over for a look-see.

Scott Vernon

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote

but when we were off San Diego about 200 miles, we were followed
by a CG search and rescue. Clearly, they knew my sailing abilities.

Rodney Myrvaagnes

THis confuses economic or fishing zones with territorial waters, which
are 3 miles for US, although many countries claim 12.

There is a similar line (Called "The Hague Line") between US and
Canadian fishing waters south of the Bay of Fundy. Canadian CG
sometimes arrests US fishboats that cross the line.

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 13:31:17 -0500, "FamilySailor" wrote:

[...]

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Never eat more in a single day than your head weighs." --Jim Harrison
Jonathan Ganz

Clearly, they were so impressed after they saw us sailing that
they discounted those reports.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
wanted: live-aboard boaters Power & Motoryacht Cruising 6 September 16th 03 02:25 AM