RG

Default 2 or 4 stroke?

I have the opportunity to add a new engine onto an older, re-built 16 ft.
flats boat with a tunnel hull. It will be a 50 h.p. according to the ratings
etc.. I've read a lot recently about the new 4 cycles not having anywhere
near the "pep" that the 2 cycles do. The weight difference is 50 lbs between
two choices of engines, and the engine will be hung on a jack-plate. As a
comparison, I'm looking at 2 and 4 cycle Yamahas, though the final choice
might be Johnson/Evinrude or Mercury. The cost difference is not the
over-riding issue this time.

The typical running pattern of this boat will be short, quick runs between
various flats. Longest run will be a few miles at a time. Getting up on
plane and racing a few hundred yards will not be unusual, with maybe a dozen
such moves over a half-day fishing. I might be working birds, which, of
course, requires getting up and "over there" as quickly as possible as an
important consideration. Any comments comparing the 2 vs. 4 strokes based on
power and pep? I know all about the discussion about pollution, banning 2
cycles, etc. and that is not part of my concerns today.

Thanks for your help. RichG

F330 GT

[...]

I don't see where the question is. The 2 stroke meets all your criteria and the
4 stroke doesn't. And, I don't think you can beat the Yamaha's, except maybe in
price.

Barry

Greg

50hp is 50hp. 4 strokes are heavier. 2 strokes burn more gas and need oil.
Both are now pretty complicate

The Honda 4 stroke is about the same weight as a 2 stroke but with that said I
agree with the first poster. This guy would probably be as happy with a 2
stroke. 2 strokes are usually the best choice for guys who use the throttle as
a switch. (off or wide open)
If he added trolling to his list of requirements I would say 4 stroke since
they are a lot better at low RPMs
RG

Thanks for pointing out the trolling issue. Trolling is NOT a normal
operation for me on the Texas flats where the boat would be used. If it
were, it certainly would change my outlook.

Please keep the comments coming and thanks to all of you. RichG

"Greg" wrote in message
50hp is 50hp. 4 strokes are heavier. 2 strokes burn more gas and need

oil.
Both are now pretty complicate

The Honda 4 stroke is about the same weight as a 2 stroke but with that

said I
agree with the first poster. This guy would probably be as happy with a 2
stroke. 2 strokes are usually the best choice for guys who use the

throttle as
a switch. (off or wide open)
If he added trolling to his list of requirements I would say 4 stroke

since
they are a lot better at low RPMs

Don White

Try here...might help.....
http://www.smalloutboards.com/4Stroke.htm

Harry Krause

Don White wrote:

Try here...might help.....
http://www.smalloutboards.com/4Stroke.htm

Nice site. Thanks.

--
Email sent to is never read.
Lloyd Sumpter

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 19:27:19 +0000, Don White wrote:

http://www.smalloutboards.com/4Stroke.htm

Some interesting stuff. In particular, I like the last comment: "You really
cannot go wrong with either choice." Some may overthink these things...

One comment: Curious he says 4-stroke technology is "new" - small 4-strokes have
been around for a hundred years, and lightweight 4-strokes have been in
motorbikes for 40 or so.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Tin Boat" Mirrocraft 12 c/w Johnson 9.9 2-stoke, probably to be replaced with
4-stroke this summer.

Billgran

"Don White" wrote in message

Try here...might help.....
http://www.smalloutboards.com/4Stroke.htm

It is a nice comparison that is for small outboards but is out of date as
it does not include DFI outboards. Every 2-stroke "CON" on the site does not
pertain to the new Evinrude E-TECs They also have less emissions, quicker
starts, and less maintenance than equivalent 4-strokes.

On small 4-strokes the carbs gum up quicker due to their smaller jets and
passageways. Also carbureted 4 strokes are sometimes harder to start, and
have to be warmed up foe quite a while before they will idle and accelerate
smoothly, EFI models do not have that drawback. You have to use the fast
idle lever for warm-up and carb 4-strokes engines do not meet the Caliornia
3-star emission rating. Overheating problems on 4-strokes can result in
scored pistons that allow oil burning and a blue smokey exhaust, unless the
engine is expensively rebuilt.

Bill Grannis
service manager

Billgran

50hp is 50hp. 4 strokes are heavier. 2 strokes burn more gas and need

oil.
Both are now pretty complicate

The Honda 4 stroke is about the same weight as a 2 stroke but with that

said I
agree with the first poster. This guy would probably be as happy with a 2
stroke. 2 strokes are usually the best choice for guys who use the

throttle as
a switch. (off or wide open)

I think this would be an good application for the new Evinrude E-TEC 50hp
outboard. It has the smoothness, quietness and smoke-free operation of a
4-stroke along with the acceleration and performance of a 2-stroke. The best
part is that it does not need the extra maintenance and expense that a 4
stroke requires. They are available now, come with a full 3 year warranty,
and in-field reports are very favorable. Check out the www.evinrude.com web
site for info and specs.

Bill Grannis
service manager

Changing Spark Plugs Mercury 4 Stroke Engine Ernie General 0 October 7th 03 04:01 AM
old 2 stroke oil mix calhoun General 5 October 6th 03 07:45 PM
evinrude 2+4 & 2 stroke oil question Clams Canino General 3 September 28th 03 01:28 PM
what is the right spark plug for a 25 hp johnson/evenrude 2 stroke mike General 2 September 3rd 03 10:00 AM
Honda 4 stroke engines Dan General 11 August 13th 03 02:25 PM