Peter Janssen

Default Night vision scope

I need some advise on purchasing a night vision scope (1st generation).
Possible candidates a
- Newcon MB-3
- Rigel 1100
- ATN Night Leopard
- ATN Night Storm

Can anybody, preferably from own experiences with one or more of these
scopes, advise me on wich one to buy regarding the quality of the image?
Advise about other scopes, reviews, etc. are also welcome!

Thanks in advance,

Kind regards,

Peter Janssen, The Netherlands

bomar

Night is the best time to hunt spotted owls!

"Don White" wrote
Why?
It must be illegal to hunt at night over there.

Peter Janssen wrote

I need some advise on purchasing a night vision scope (1st generation).
Possible candidates a
-

Peter Janssen, The Netherlands

JimL

Regarding above posts, the models that Peter has listed are not
rifle scopes! These are all night vision monoculars. If you've
never used one, they are cool toys! And no, I don't do any night
hunting! :^)

-JimL

Don White

That's better. My nephew received a night vision unit for Christmas last
year.
I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

JimL wrote in message
Regarding above posts, the models that Peter has listed are not
rifle scopes! These are all night vision monoculars. If you've
never used one, they are cool toys! And no, I don't do any night
hunting! :^)

-JimL

JimL

Peter,

I have no personal experience with any of the models you listed,
but hope you realize that 1st generation are not known for
longevity. I don't remember just how short that life expectancy
is though. Personally, I have a Night Owl Optics model NODS3.
I don't use it a lot, but it is really a cool toy! At least in
the USA, it seems that all of these units are imported from
Russia. Not that this is a problem, I just don't know how many
manufacturers there actually are there, so I don't know if one
would be that much better than another or if it's mostly
marketing/packaging differences.

What is your application for the night vision? IF you intend to
use it a lot and especially in a high moisture environment, then
definitely consider one of the waterproof models you listed.
Mine isn't waterproof but I haven't really had the need for that
feature. I haven't done any night fishing in the boat (yet) but
would still take mine along if I did. I would just need to take
extra precautions not to get it wet. Even though mine is a lower
end unit, I'm very satisfied with the image quality. I also
appreciate the fact that it runs on 2 AA batteries. Since I have
so much stuff using AA's, I have a pile of Ni-Mh and they work
well with the unit.

Again, I don't have any personal experience with the models you
listed, but it seems to me that you need to mainly consider the
features of those models to make your decision based on your
usage.

-JimL

Almus Kenter

Peter Janssen wrote:
: I need some advise on purchasing a night vision scope (1st generation).
: Possible candidates a
: - Newcon MB-3
: - Rigel 1100
: - ATN Night Leopard
: - ATN Night Storm

: Can anybody, preferably from own experiences with one or more of these
: scopes, advise me on wich one to buy regarding the quality of the image?
: Advise about other scopes, reviews, etc. are also welcome!

: Thanks in advance,

: Kind regards,

: Peter Janssen, The Netherlands

All the first generation units are pretty poor in terms
of imaging quality; they all have poor contrast, substantial distortion etc.
I *highly* recommend that you look through them to get an idea of what
you are getting; the pictures in the catalogs showing
extremely clear images of owls, coyotes are a far cry from
what you will see. All the 1st gen ones have simple image intensifiers.
I have compared them with my sony video ccd which has nightshot (tm)
and the video camera is much better. 3d gen microchannel plate units
are another story; imaging (and price) are an order of magnitude
greater.

-A
Richard Curtis

I too, tried a second generation. My boy and I carried a first and a second
gen unit to the house overnight. They ARE junk in the real world. I also
have a Sony video camera with NightShot(c). It works better. The third
generation, which is really good is just too much money for my use, hince
the video camera.