Almus Kenter

Default Night vision scope

Peter Janssen wrote:
: I need some advise on purchasing a night vision scope (1st generation).
: Possible candidates a
: - Newcon MB-3
: - Rigel 1100
: - ATN Night Leopard
: - ATN Night Storm

: Can anybody, preferably from own experiences with one or more of these
: scopes, advise me on wich one to buy regarding the quality of the image?
: Advise about other scopes, reviews, etc. are also welcome!

: Thanks in advance,

: Kind regards,

: Peter Janssen, The Netherlands

All the first generation units are pretty poor in terms
of imaging quality; they all have poor contrast, substantial distortion etc.
I *highly* recommend that you look through them to get an idea of what
you are getting; the pictures in the catalogs showing
extremely clear images of owls, coyotes are a far cry from
what you will see. All the 1st gen ones have simple image intensifiers.
I have compared them with my sony video ccd which has nightshot (tm)
and the video camera is much better. 3d gen microchannel plate units
are another story; imaging (and price) are an order of magnitude
greater.

-A