Harlan Lachman

Default largest, fastest trailerable cruiser

The subject line says it all. What are some of the largest, fastest
(40+ mph), trailerable (8'6" beam) cruising capable boats worth
considering?
Harlan

--
Tro respond, obviously drop the nospam!
Harry Krause

Harlan Lachman wrote:

The subject line says it all. What are some of the largest, fastest
(40+ mph), trailerable (8'6" beam) cruising capable boats worth
considering?
Harlan

You need to consider all sorts of aspects of how and where you want to
use the boat and what you want to haul it with, and how far, before you
start asking these kinds of questions.

--
Email sent to is never read.
David Ward

"Harlan Lachman" wrote in message
. net...
: The subject line says it all. What are some of the largest, fastest
: (40+ mph), trailerable (8'6" beam) cruising capable boats worth
: considering?
: Harlan
:
A question to the entire group:
Would you consider the Parker 2830 a cruising capable boat?

Harlan Lachman

Harry, I read a lot of your posts and respect them, but this one I
don't get.

I rented a pick up to trailer my boat the last time I wanted to trailer
it someplace so I would just rent a vehicle big (or small) enough as
necessary. I want to be able to trailer it at least 1000 miles each way
(but I don't see why that matters either). And, I plan to cruise on it
(last year from Boston, P Town, Marthas, Block and Newport so it has to
be able to weather real seas but go fast when they are relatively
calm).

Given these considerations, what is the fastest, largest, trailerable
boat one can take cruising (oh, BTW, as an asthmatic with OSA, I need
AC and enough battery power to run my CPAP or at least a plug near the
berth I use).

Is that clearer or am I still missing your point?

Harlan

In article , Harry Krause
wrote:

Harlan Lachman wrote:

The subject line says it all. What are some of the largest, fastest
(40+ mph), trailerable (8'6" beam) cruising capable boats worth
considering?
Harlan

You need to consider all sorts of aspects of how and where you want to
use the boat and what you want to haul it with, and how far, before you
start asking these kinds of questions.

--
Tro respond, obviously drop the nospam!
Calif Bill

The Davis Rock Harbor out of Morrow bay is a very good trailer boat. Is
only a 25'er. The Scout Abaco is 28' and with twin F225 Yama's runs 45-50.
YOu may need to look at the 9'6" width boats. If a permit is required, only
a wide load sign and some time restrictions on towing is required.
Bill

wrote:

Harlan Lachman wrote:

The subject line says it all. What are some of the largest, fastest
(40+ mph), trailerable (8'6" beam) cruising capable boats worth
considering?
Harlan

You need to consider all sorts of aspects of how and where you want to
use the boat and what you want to haul it with, and how far, before you
start asking these kinds of questions.

--
Tro respond, obviously drop the nospam!

jchaplain

wrote:

Harlan Lachman wrote:

The subject line says it all. What are some of the largest, fastest
(40+ mph), trailerable (8'6" beam) cruising capable boats worth
considering?
Harlan

You need to consider all sorts of aspects of how and where you want to
use the boat and what you want to haul it with, and how far, before you
start asking these kinds of questions.

Yes, you're missing the point.
There are all KINDS of boats. What do you want to do? Fish? waterski?
Go real fast? Overnight? Once you figure out what KIND of boat you
want, then you can look at prices, towing weights considering the
vehicle you have....etc...

For instance, I decided....

Fishing - not important.
Comfort and style - important.
Speed - fairly important.
Berth for live aboard ( week at a time) - important.
Ability to trailer anywhere anytime important.
Price range had to be moderate.
I ended up with a Stingray 240CS with a tandem trailer.

http://www.stingrayboats.com/product...hp?model=240cs

Had I wanted a speedboat, I would have gotten something else ( mine
only does 50mph.)

Had I wanted a fishing boat, I would have gotten something else (
Grady White or Parker.)

And even when you finally decide, it's always a tradeoff. Heck, part
of me really wanted a sailboat!

John C.
Harry Krause

David Ward wrote:
"Harlan Lachman" wrote in message
. net...
: The subject line says it all. What are some of the largest, fastest
: (40+ mph), trailerable (8'6" beam) cruising capable boats worth
: considering?
: Harlan
:
A question to the entire group:
Would you consider the Parker 2830 a cruising capable boat?

It's a more than capable boat, but for offshore fishermen. If I were
interested in "cruising," as that term generally is defined, it wouldn't
be a boat I would pick. It has a decent cabin, but it isn't posh, and I
wouldn't want to spend more than a weekend in it. And it requires two
big-horse outboards to move it along.

But as a fishing boat in the 28' category? It's one of the best.

--
Email sent to is never read.
jchaplain

It's a more than capable boat, but for offshore fishermen. If I were
interested in "cruising," as that term generally is defined, it wouldn't
be a boat I would pick. It has a decent cabin, but it isn't posh, and I
wouldn't want to spend more than a weekend in it. And it requires two
big-horse outboards to move it along.

But as a fishing boat in the 28' category? It's one of the best.

I dunno Harry, I think I'd be very happy living on that boat ( the
Parker,) for a week at a time, but then I can be happy with a fairly
spartan existance for a week or two, as long as I can sit and enjoy
the summer days and sunsets on the water. I'm sure with a good
bedroll, some good lounge chairs and cold beers, life could be pretty
nice there for a week! .... the gas bill for the two big outboards
might make me ill though.
John C.
Harry Krause

jchaplain wrote:

It's a more than capable boat, but for offshore fishermen. If I were
interested in "cruising," as that term generally is defined, it wouldn't
be a boat I would pick. It has a decent cabin, but it isn't posh, and I
wouldn't want to spend more than a weekend in it. And it requires two
big-horse outboards to move it along.

But as a fishing boat in the 28' category? It's one of the best.

I dunno Harry, I think I'd be very happy living on that boat ( the
Parker,) for a week at a time, but then I can be happy with a fairly
spartan existance for a week or two, as long as I can sit and enjoy
the summer days and sunsets on the water. I'm sure with a good
bedroll, some good lounge chairs and cold beers, life could be pretty
nice there for a week! .... the gas bill for the two big outboards
might make me ill though.
John C.

Different boats for different folks. I like that boat, but not for
"Cruising."

--
Email sent to is never read.
Capt. Frank Hopkins

Hi Harlan

Have a look at this:

http://www.formulaboats.com/fastech/

both 27 and 29 will fit your "trailable" requirement, and both live up
to the FAST-TECH name.

My personal boat is a 1991 Formula 26 PC. I have found Formula's to be
well built and reliable. They are very seaworthy. Their service
department is second to none. Weather you are in Boston or the Bahamas
in need of a widget, Formula will get it to you overnight express.

I plan to trade in my boat next year for a larger one. It will be a Formula.

Capt. Frank