Default anchor question?

"Richard Casady" wrote in message
On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 22:17:21 -0400, "Michael Wright"
wrote:

I believe the purpose of the chain is to hold the flukes down to initially
set the anchor. Please correct me if I am wrong MW

I thought the chain was to connect the anchor to the boat.

Casady

The anchor chain (usually long as boat length), helps keep the anchor set
and makes it less likely to drag.

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 16:50:21 -0300, "YukonBound"
wrote:

The anchor chain (usually long as boat length), helps keep the anchor set
and makes it less likely to drag.

Last but not least, chain provides abrasion resistance where it is
most needed. A nylon rode dragging on the bottom will not last long,
particularly on a rocky or coral bottom.

wrote:

I believe the purpose of the chain is to hold the flukes down to initially
set the anchor. Please correct me if I am wrong MW

I thought the chain was to connect the anchor to the boat.

Casady

I use rope to connect the chain to the boat. The purpose of my ten feet of chain
is to hold down the flukes, as stated.

wrote:

I believe the purpose of the chain is to hold the flukes down to initially
set the anchor. Please correct me if I am wrong MW

I thought the chain was to connect the anchor to the boat.

Casady

although it's a bit lengthy, the USCG boatcrew seamanship manual is
available online. has great info for basic boating questions.

wrote:

The anchor chain (usually long as boat length), helps keep the anchor set
and makes it less likely to drag.

Last but not least, chain provides abrasion resistance where it is
most needed. A nylon rode dragging on the bottom will not last long,
particularly on a rocky or coral bottom.

Can't you be fined for damaging coral? I thought that was the norm these
days. Seems like you shouldn't be anchoring where you can do damage, so that
leaves sand, mud, and rocks (which sounds hard, no pun intended).

wrote:

The anchor chain (usually long as boat length), helps keep the anchor
set
and makes it less likely to drag.

Last but not least, chain provides abrasion resistance where it is
most needed. A nylon rode dragging on the bottom will not last long,
particularly on a rocky or coral bottom.

Can't you be fined for damaging coral? I thought that was the norm these
days. Seems like you shouldn't be anchoring where you can do damage, so
that leaves sand, mud, and rocks (which sounds hard, no pun intended).

Depends where you lay anchor. But if you were a boater you would know
that. But as usual, just a dumb she-it ...

--
Taxation, modern day slavery. The loss of economic freedom.

wrote:

The anchor chain (usually long as boat length), helps keep the anchor
set
and makes it less likely to drag.

Last but not least, chain provides abrasion resistance where it is
most needed. A nylon rode dragging on the bottom will not last long,
particularly on a rocky or coral bottom.

Can't you be fined for damaging coral? I thought that was the norm these
days. Seems like you shouldn't be anchoring where you can do damage, so
that leaves sand, mud, and rocks (which sounds hard, no pun intended).

Depends where you lay anchor. But if you were a boater you would know
that. But as usual, just a dumb she-it ...

--
Taxation, modern day slavery. The loss of economic freedom.

Hey bozo... please tell us where you can put your anchor (assuming you had
one of course) on coral where you wouldn't damage it. I'm sure there are
some places where you wouldn't be caught or where the locals don't care, but
since you're not going to be going to any of those places...

As usual, you demonstrate just how asinine you really are.

Tim Tim is offline

wrote:
The anchor chain (usually long as boat length), helps keep the anchor set
and makes it less likely to drag.

Last but not least, chain provides abrasion resistance where it is
most needed. *A nylon rode dragging on the bottom will not last long,
particularly on a rocky or coral bottom.

Wayne, concerning my pontoon boat anchor. Does that mean that I need
to put a chain on my cement block?

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 17:50:53 -0700, "nom=de=plume"
wrote:

[...]

le

It turns out that there are stray bits of coral in many, many places.
They are scattered around the bottom like small rocks, are very sharp
and abrasive, and impossible to avoid in some areas. Since they are
not part of a living coral reef there is no real need to avoid them.

You have much to learn and should avoid being overly critical of those
who try to explain things to you.

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 17:55:08 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

Wayne, concerning my pontoon boat anchor. Does that mean that I need
to put a chain on my cement block?

Probably not if you only anchor in sand or soft muddy conditions. On
the other hand if you want to anchor securely in rocky conditions, the
chain is a good idea.

Can we assume that you don't encounter much coral in Illinois? :-)

I'm sure you're aware that a concrete block anchor is not likely to
hold in a major wind squall. If you can find an inexpensive 12 lb
Danforth type anchor, that's what I'd recommend. It would be easier
to haul up also.