Default anchor question?

"Larry" wrote in message
nom=de=plume wrote:
If the windlass fails, you cut and run. I'll bet there are tens
of thousands of anchors on the bottom of the ocean that were
stuck and the Captain had no other choice.

Really? How much does 100' of chain and a big anchor cost? You're
going to leave it? Sounds pretty stupid to me, but you don't own
a boat, right? So, you wouldn't even have a clue.
Unlike you, I do own a boat - my fourth actually. What does the
cost of the anchor and it's rode have to do with it? If you can't
recover it you don't call AAA and fix your makeup while you wait
for them. It only "sounds" stupid to you because you _are_
stupid.

Unlike you, I'm not a moron. Looking at the West Marine website, an
anchor for a 40' boat costs about $400 plus 100' of chain at $5/ft
is $500. So, that's nearly $1000 you, the moron, is willing to
leave on the bottom. I guess stupid is as stupid does.

So your plan it to dive it and release it by hand? The loss is a
small price to pay.

How about disconnecting the chain, attaching a light line to it that
is long enough to reach the surface, and have a small float on the
end. Then, take your handy, dandy GPS and mark the spot. Go into a
dock, get some help from the locals, and retrieve your anchor. What's
the worst case... someone steals it? You can't find it again? Nobody
is willing to help?

Sure. That happens everyday.

Why don't you start an anchor retrieval business?

Why don't you get someone else to drive and check the tires while he
backs up..

The liberal admission of defeat. Sorry you gave up so soon.

You're the one who cuts and runs.

No, I choose to not post dumb remarks like yours.

Are you claiming you never said that?? Should we add liar to your resume?

"Larry" wrote in message
YukonBound wrote:

"Larry" wrote in message
nom=de=plume wrote:

"Moose" wrote in message

"Larry" wrote in message
nom=de=plume wrote:

"Larry" wrote in message
nom=de=plume wrote:

"Larry" wrote in message
nom=de=plume wrote:

"Larry" wrote in message
nom=de=plume wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 14:54:54 -0700, "nom=de=plume"
wrote:

Half a boat length of chain is the recommended minimum.
Most serious
cruisers are using all chain (with a snubber) for a variety
of good
reasons.

Did you get a copy of Chapman's yet ? You'll learn a lot
from it and
get more details than anyone here can provide:

http://www.amazon.com/Chapman-Piloti...Small-Handling

Yes, have a copy though not the latest. So, a 40' boat would
have at least
20 feet. Seems like with all chain that could get pretty
heavy if you need
to get it out without a windlass... Seems like picking a
good place with
(among other things) less likelihood of coral would mean you
wouldn't need
to have as much use for all chain.

There are a number of ways to pull a heavy anchor and chain
without a
windlass, but a windlass is certainly the preferred way of
doing it.
Most serious cruisers prefer all chain simply because it
provides more
security when anchoring, and when you are living on your boat
in
remote places, that counts for a lot. Chain sets faster
because the
catenary effect reduces the angle of pull on the anchor.
Chain offers
a great deal of protection from accidental or intentional
cuts/abrasion. Chain has a very high ultimate breaking
strength,
etc., etc.

99 out of 100 international/offshore cruising boats can't be
all
wrong. Get the big anchor, get the chain, and get the
windlass
unless you intend to spend all of your time in a marina.

Interesting... I'd like to know how you would go about raising
an anchor with all that chain by hand? I didn't read anything
like that so far. You can't put the chain on a regular winch
right? So, I was thinking you would have to sail up to just
above the anchor, but that's still a lot of chain/anchor.

Not saying the cruisers are wrong... obviously they're right.
I'm just wondering how they do it, esp. in the case of
mechanism failure. That's the point of being a sailor..
dealing with adversity, etc.

[...]

She would have to give us shares of the business. After all we did
show her the "ropes".

In your case, it would be (rope-a-)dope.

Dumb. Did Don write that for you?

Wish I could take credit... that was quite witty and 'bang-on', as y'all
like to say.

It was stupid and no one I know say's "bang-on", bozo.

yeah...I forgot, you're from Floriduh.

nom=de=plume wrote:

"Larry" wrote in message
nom=de=plume wrote:
[...]

I never said that in reference to a post and you know it. Try again,
lawyer.

YukonBound wrote:

"Larry" wrote in message
YukonBound wrote:

"Larry" wrote in message
nom=de=plume wrote:

"Moose" wrote in message

"Larry" wrote in message
nom=de=plume wrote:

"Larry" wrote in message
nom=de=plume wrote:

"Larry" wrote in message
nom=de=plume wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I'm not from Florida, Don. I've flown to Canada in less than two hours.

"Larry" wrote in message
nom=de=plume wrote:

"Larry" wrote in message
nom=de=plume wrote:
[...]

Really? Well, here it is:

From: Larry

I don't think your apology is forthcoming, but one never knows.

From: Larry

I don't think your apology is forthcoming, but one never knows.

Wrong context, dummy.

From: Larry

I don't think your apology is forthcoming, but one never knows.

Wrong context, dummy.

Nope. Same context. Anchoring. Continue to lie. It really enhances your
stature among men.

From: Larry

I don't think your apology is forthcoming, but one never knows.

Wrong context, dummy.

Nope. Same context. Anchoring. Continue to lie. It really enhances
your stature among men.

Me: The liberal admission of defeat. Sorry you gave up so soon.

You: You're the one who cuts and runs.

Want to try again, liar?

From: Larry

I don't think your apology is forthcoming, but one never knows.

Wrong context, dummy.

Nope. Same context. Anchoring. Continue to lie. It really enhances your
stature among men.

Me: The liberal admission of defeat. Sorry you gave up so soon.

You: You're the one who cuts and runs.

Want to try again, liar?

You're a liar. You said and you won't admit it. It's there for all to see.
You must be feeling inadequate.