Gould 0738

Default anchor question?

...but that only gives me 8 minutes. )

Courtesy of Lee Yeaton,
See the boats of rec.boats
www.TheBayGuide.com/rec.boats

Que lastima!

(first liar doesn't stand a chance)
noah

On 11 Jul 2003 00:26:51 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

...but that only gives me 8 minutes. )

Courtesy of Lee Yeaton,
See the boats of rec.boats
www.TheBayGuide.com/rec.boats

Que lastima!

(first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Aliquantus falso pro veritas!!

(A good lie is as good as the truth!) )
noah

Courtesy of Lee Yeaton,
See the boats of rec.boats
www.TheBayGuide.com/rec.boats
Keith

I think you'll find that Bruce doesn't hold well in mud. If it drags around
on you, look at a Fortress or other Danforth type anchor. They hold best in
mud.

--

Keith
__
"Michael Wright" wrote in message
I see. I overlooked using all chain. I have set up about 5 feet of 3/4"
chain placed before a Bruce anchor. Mind you I don't need to use all

chain
and the bottom around here is all mud and weeds making setting a lot

easier
than in other conditions. Cheers MW
"RG" wrote in message news:Xi4Pa.506$Bp2.66@fed1read07...

"Michael Wright" wrote in message
I believe the purpose of the chain is to hold the flukes down to

initially
set the anchor. Please correct me if I am wrong MW

Well, you're on the right track, but I think your wording could use some
improvement. There are two purposes for adding chain to a nylon rode.

The
first, which is very much related to your suggestion, is to lower the

angle
of the pull of the rode on the anchor. Since chain is heavy, it tends

lie on the bottom and stay there more so than straight nylon would. An
anchor will always take and hold a set much better with a horizontal

pull,
rather than a vertical pull. In fact, the most common way to break the

set
of an anchor for retrieval is to position the boat directly above the
anchor, thereby changing the pull to pure vertical. Generally, the more
chain that is added to the rode, the less scope is required for a given

set
of conditions, because of the increased horizontal pull effect that

chain
provides over straight nylon.

The second reason for adding chain is for chafe protection. It stands

reason that the part of the rode closest to the anchor will be subject

the most abuse from rocks, coral, or other items on the bottom that

could,
over time, chafe nylon to the point of needing to be replaced. By
positioning a length of chain next to the anchor, the chain takes the
majority of such abuse rather than the nylon section of the rode, and

the
chain obviously holds up much under such conditions than does nylon.

Keith

Good thing you can use radar to get ACTUAL distances when navigating!

--

Keith
__
"noah" wrote in message
On 10 Jul 2003 23:21:39 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

Just today, I saw several "ideal bottoms", but I confess that I did
not have one thought of "chain". At this rate, I'll *never* get my
Capt's License. )
noah

Yeah, but maybe the rule "one minute of holding power for every inch of

scope"
might still apply.

...but that only gives me 8 minutes. )

Courtesy of Lee Yeaton,
See the boats of rec.boats
www.TheBayGuide.com/rec.boats

noah

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 08:14:21 -0500, "Keith"
wrote:

Good thing you can use radar to get ACTUAL distances when navigating!

GPS is less painful. No "microwave" effect. )
noah

Courtesy of Lee Yeaton,
See the boats of rec.boats
www.TheBayGuide.com/rec.boats
N.L. Eckert

Michael wrote:
I believe the purpose of the chain is to hold the flukes down to
initially set the anchor. Please correct me if I am wrong MW
=================================
Sure is and you can get the same effect by attaching a small navy anchor
about 6 to 8 feet ahead of your main anchor. Its called "increasing the
apparent scope".
Most of my boating is in Lake St. Clair where the water is 10 to 15 ft.
deep. I carry 100 ft. of 1/2" line for the main 8 lb. anchor and 175
ft. for the emerg. 13 lb. anchor. I don't bother with a chain because
of the shallow water, but up in Lk. Huron, I carry the 6 lb. navy
anchor just in case.
==========
Norm

John Gaquin

"Keith" wrote in message
.... look at a Fortress or other Danforth type anchor. They hold best
in
mud.

I believe the flukes of a standard danforth type only open to about 30
degrees, marvelous in a sandy bottom but less than optimal in mud. The
Fortress can be set to open to 45 degrees, which gives a much more effective
set in a muddy bottom.

JG

Keith

The Bruce will set and reset better than almost any anchor, but it's holding
power suffers greatly. In mud, it's holding power is only about 30% of a
Danforth's.

I've used my Fortress in mud for years, in it's standard 30 degree position
with no problems. I've never had to use the 45 degree position. That's what
they recommend for mud, but I've always got a good set with the standard
position, so I think the Danforth would do the same.

As always, YMMV (your mileage may vary). Anchor discussions are usually
almost as good as political ones!

--

Keith
__
"Michael Wright" wrote in message
Well I have both on board. What do you recommend the Bruce for? I find

the
danforth does not set in the weedy bottom here. Cheers MW

[...]

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 22:17:21 -0400, "Michael Wright"
wrote:

I believe the purpose of the chain is to hold the flukes down to initially
set the anchor. Please correct me if I am wrong MW

I thought the chain was to connect the anchor to the boat.

Casady