N.L. Eckert

Default anchor question?

Michael wrote:
I believe the purpose of the chain is to hold the flukes down to
initially set the anchor. Please correct me if I am wrong MW
=================================
Sure is and you can get the same effect by attaching a small navy anchor
about 6 to 8 feet ahead of your main anchor. Its called "increasing the
apparent scope".
Most of my boating is in Lake St. Clair where the water is 10 to 15 ft.
deep. I carry 100 ft. of 1/2" line for the main 8 lb. anchor and 175
ft. for the emerg. 13 lb. anchor. I don't bother with a chain because
of the shallow water, but up in Lk. Huron, I carry the 6 lb. navy
anchor just in case.
Norm