Benjamin Ransum

Default Evinrude 25 hp problem

Hello,
I have a 1991 25hp Evinrude motor model E25REIE. It was purchased
about two years ago on Ebay. It has run great up until this year. My
family and I were fishing in Lake Lanier and we were getting into
shallow water. The motor was not running. Before the foot drug bottom
I tilted the motor up. We fished a while longer and I lowered the
motor and cranked it up. The motor started like it wanted to go wide
open but would cut out and sputter. Then feel like it wanted to go
wide open then started cutting out and sputtering again. I thought it
was an air leak in the fuel system.
I did take the cover off and pumped the gas line bulb and saw gas
leaking from the round thing that is part of the fuel pump where the
gas line connects to the pump.
Since then I have replaced the fuel pump, but it still does the same
thing. Also I have replaced the gas line, gas tank, rebuilt the
carburetor, bought new speak plugs. When I put the new speak plugs in
it did seem to fix the problem. It ran wide open far about five
hundred feet before it started cutting out and sputtering and doing
the same old thing.
Can anyone help? I want my fast motor back!

Sincerely,

Benjamin
Bill Kiene

Hi Ben,

You might look for an old OMC mechanic with some gray in his hair.

Most of the big boat dealerships are not interested in working on our old
motors.

I would try to get a good reference here for your area.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

"Benjamin Ransum" wrote in message
om...
[...]

basskisser

(Benjamin Ransum) wrote in message . com...
[...]

I fish Lake Lanier, too! Went out weekend before last, and fishing
sucked!!!
Anyway, some things I'd look at, seeings how when you put new
sparkplugs in it, and it helped would be electrical connections. But,
it still sounds like a fuel delivery problem to me. Where in the area
are you?

Benjamin Ransum

I live in Lawrenceville.

My motor seems to run fine until it travels about 500 feet then the
trouble starts. The only thing I have not changed is the fuel lines
inside the motor.
What puzzles me is why it started so suddenly. My motor has the
S.L.O.W. thing that limits RPMs when it gets hot, but the p hole is
squirting water just as it always has. Plus it had been sitting for
over an hour the day it started this.

On 11 Nov 2003 10:36:40 -0800, (basskisser) wrote:

[...]

basskisser

Benjamin Ransum wrote in message . ..
I live in Lawrenceville.

My motor seems to run fine until it travels about 500 feet then the
trouble starts. The only thing I have not changed is the fuel lines
inside the motor.
What puzzles me is why it started so suddenly. My motor has the
S.L.O.W. thing that limits RPMs when it gets hot, but the p hole is
squirting water just as it always has. Plus it had been sitting for
over an hour the day it started this.

That really sounds like something to do with the throttle cable/timing
set up. I'd suggest getting a good repair manual for that motor. Look
at the Boat U.S. (I think it is) across from Sam's on Steve Reynolds
Blvd.

Except for the over rev part, sounds a lot like an experience I had years
ago with some bad gas(water was my guess). Get all the old fuel out and
start over with fresh. It took me several trips to the mechanic and $$$,
before we figured out the simple answer.
Sometimes you can get lucky.

[...]

Benjamin Ransum

I tried the gas thing. I too thought it might be that.

Benjamin
YZF-R6

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 14:45:04 GMT, wrote:

[...]

fuel delivery problem on outboard? help Russell Hermansen General 9 October 7th 03 01:40 AM
Johnson outboard problem Garland Gray II General 10 October 3rd 03 06:45 PM
back with a problem now Nancy General 14 August 2nd 03 04:43 AM
Need help with 92 Evinrude 150EX snownut 670 General 0 July 14th 03 09:46 PM
Problem starting Evinrude dmp General 9 June 30th 03 04:28 PM