snownut 670

Default Need help with 92 Evinrude 150EX

Hi,

First I would like to thank anyone for their help. I have a 92
Evinrude 150 EX and I am having a problem. I don't know a lot about
outboard motors and this one seems complicated, but I have fixed my
share of cars and aircraft.

Here is the problem. When the engine is warm after running for a
while and I shut it down for a time (1/2 hour or so) it does not want
to run again. It will start but as soon as I put it into gear to take
off it sputters and dies. I can rev the engine in neutral it seems to
be OK but again as soon as I try to take off it will die again. It
has been getting worse on every outing and takes me longer to get it
going (buy playing with the throttle, pumping up the fuel line while
running, and just plain aggravation) again every week. Saturday after
the second time it did this and I got it going it would sputter the
whole time and not run above about 2000 rpm all the way back to the
launch. It took me about 40 minutes to get across the lake and get
the boat out of the water, and it never did return to normal
operation.

What can I check to troubleshoot this problem? Has anyone experienced
this before and if so what fixed it? This is our first boat and with
the short season we have in the north I would like to get it fixed
soon.

Thanks again for any input.

Jason