Gene Kearns

Default Trailering

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 14:27:51 GMT, "Mark Davis"
wrote:

Okay, so I know this is a loaded question. But it will at least be fun.

I just bought a larger boat, 27' Concorde with a single Inboard. We got it
for the room and the ability to go further in the boat, but now we have a
question. I am of the mindset to dock it and be done and only trailer when
going to the Keys etc. However, there is a valid alternative to putting it
on a trailer so I can launch at alternative inlets without the need to motor
too far.

What are the opinions, pros/cons of trailering a inboard around.

Just my $.02 so far is that it seems getting it on and off the trailer will
be a bit more difficult as will finding ramps deep enough to accomodate it.

Opinions please?

Thanks!
Mark

Trailering, as I see it....

Pros

Your boat.... where... and when.... you want it.
New territories conquered
Surrogate RV

Cons

Major PITA
Expense of Tow Vehicle and 2 MPG to get to where you are going.
Mountains
Trailer Upkeep
Dealing with state motor vehicle laws (other than your own)
Crappy ramps 2000 miles from home
breakdowns on the road... boat, trailer, tow vehicle.....

IMHO......

I wet slip....
Screw the trailer... it is for maintenance.
YMMV.....

JR North

I wouldn't know. I hauled my boat out of there with 25 days
into my next month's rent with my middle ensign flying high
at the gaping owner.
JR

Gould 0738 wrote:

Just so you'll think about it...
I had my MaXum 2550 stored on the trailer at a "secure"
storage lot in the middle of a busy district. 8' barbed
fences and 24 hr attendant. The drive and numerous items
within the boat were stolen within 1 month.
JR

If this type of thing occurs there routinely:
Look closely at the attendant.

--
Remove X to reply

jchaplain

Yeh, but you left out a few more things on the plus side Gene...

Gas- street pump price
Boat bottom - stays clean
work on the boat - at home
load supplies - right in the driveway

I agree though, major PITA and I'm on a waiting list for a mooring,
but in no big hurry.
Anyway, it's all good, just different ways to deal with things.

John C.

wrote:

[...]

DaveH

I've got a similar size boat, and a truck capable of towing it. However,
95% of my boating is done from my slip, and I wouldn't have it any other
way. I don't know about other marinas, but one of the hidden advantages of
mine is the boating and fishing knowledge I've gained from other boat owners
there.

The bottom line on trailering though, is that for day to day boating, it was
not for me.

Dave

wrote:

[...]

Marcus AAkesson

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 23:38:43 GMT, "Mark Davis"
wrote:

I got snagged by a damn detour. It put me on "historic" downtown streets
with a 30 foot trailer and a 1 Ton Dodge DWR, talk about wide and long!

Just out of curiosity, how much (in pounds or kg) does your ton weigh?
As a metric user I have no idea, here only the smallest cars weigh in
at 1 ton.....

/Marcus

--
Marcus AAkesson
Gothenburg Callsigns: SM6XFN & SB4779

Rod McInnis

"Mark Davis" wrote in message
link.net...

What are the opinions, pros/cons of trailering a inboard around.

If it is in a slip, you are more likely to go use it on a weekend, and it
would certainly be less hassel.

How much does this beast weigh?

I assume it is under the 8'6" width restriction, otherwise towing it around
will be a greater hassel.

on the other hand:

Filling up the boat will be a lot cheaper on a land based gas station.
Far less maintenance with it sitting on a trailer instead of in the water.

Opinions please?

You don't need to commit to just one way. Trailer it around to a couple of
different spots. Eventually you will find out for yourself what the trade
offs are. Many people I know would be terrified to tow a rig that large,
others don't have any problem with it. I would think that you might like to
leave it in one spot for a few weeks or months then tow it to a new spot.

Rod

Wayne.B

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 18:01:31 +0100, Marcus AAkesson
wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how much (in pounds or kg) does your ton weigh?
As a metric user I have no idea, here only the smallest cars weigh in
at 1 ton.....

A 1 ton truck will typically have a cargo capacity of about 900 kg and
a trailer towing capability of about 5,500 kg.

1 ton = 2,000 pounds, 1 kg = 2.2 pounds

Trucks in the US are typically referred to by their cargo capacity,
not their actual weight.

Mark Browne

wrote:

I got snagged by a damn detour. It put me on "historic" downtown streets
with a 30 foot trailer and a 1 Ton Dodge DWR, talk about wide and long!

Just out of curiosity, how much (in pounds or kg) does your ton weigh?
As a metric user I have no idea, here only the smallest cars weigh in
at 1 ton.....

http://ts.nist.gov/ts/htdocs/230/235/appxc/appxc.htm

One ton pickup has a load capacity of one ton.

Mark Browne

/Marcus

--
Marcus AAkesson
Gothenburg Callsigns: SM6XFN & SB4779
Sweden
Keep the world clean - no HTML in news or mail !

Mark Browne

Just out of curiosity, how much (in pounds or kg) does your ton weigh?

See this link, #4 for the definitive answer on the ton:

http://ts.nist.gov/ts/htdocs/230/235/h44-03/appxb.pdf

Mark Browne

Marcus AAkesson

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 21:53:28 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

A 1 ton truck will typically have a cargo capacity of about 900 kg and
a trailer towing capability of about 5,500 kg.

1 ton = 2,000 pounds, 1 kg = 2.2 pounds

Trucks in the US are typically referred to by their cargo capacity,
not their actual weight.

Thanks, interesting.

It's approximately 10% difference then to a normal metric ton (1000
kg).

Speaking about towing capacity, what kind of drivers license do You
need for this kind of towing ( truck + over 3000 kg trailer) ?

Just curious of the differences!

/Marcus