z1r1200cc

Default Trailer Galvanized finish question

I just purchased a new Load Rite trailer, and like an idiot, I listened to a
friend of mine, and used Mothers metal polish on the rails. They looked
great initially.

Now overnight the rails turned grey and have a white residue on them!
The parts I did not do are still shiny.

Is there anything I can do to restore the shine?
What did I do, the metal polish is not abrasive?
Is there any cleaner that can restore the shine?
What about Chembrite? I saw it in a trailer parts catalog.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Distressed in Long Island
Joe

Gfretwell

Maybe an acid wash of some sort. I'd guess you accelerated the oxidation of
the lead somehow.

Zinc?

I would leave it alone. The dull grey color of oxidized zinc is what tells you
the galvanizing is working. You are supposed to leave it alone.
Buy a polished aluminum trailer if you want a shiny one.
Tony Thomas

What has happened is the polish has gotten down into the pores of the zink.
You will need to remove the dry polish somehow. My guess is water and a
brush will help but may not get it all.

--
Tony
My boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"z1r1200cc" wrote in message
I just purchased a new Load Rite trailer, and like an idiot, I listened to

friend of mine, and used Mothers metal polish on the rails. They looked
great initially.

Now overnight the rails turned grey and have a white residue on them!
The parts I did not do are still shiny.

Is there anything I can do to restore the shine?
What did I do, the metal polish is not abrasive?
Is there any cleaner that can restore the shine?
What about Chembrite? I saw it in a trailer parts catalog.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Distressed in Long Island
Joe

noah

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 13:52:15 GMT, "z1r1200cc"
wrote:

I just purchased a new Load Rite trailer, and like an idiot, I listened to a
friend of mine, and used Mothers metal polish on the rails. They looked
great initially.

Now overnight the rails turned grey and have a white residue on them!
The parts I did not do are still shiny.

Is there anything I can do to restore the shine?
What did I do, the metal polish is not abrasive?
Is there any cleaner that can restore the shine?
What about Chembrite? I saw it in a trailer parts catalog.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Distressed in Long Island
Joe

I have no clue what the ingredients in Mother's Metal Polish are. Can
you post a follow-up?

It sounds like the polish removed whatever topcoat was used on the
trailer at the factory. It might have been something as simple as an
oil shine over the galvanize. When I was a kid (4 or 500 years ago),
I worked in roofing. Before we painted galvanized roofing metal, we
would wash it with vinegar to remove the latent oil, and slightly
oxidize the galvanizing. It would dull the finish, but the primer
would stick better.

Good luck,
Regards,
noah

To email me, remove the "OT-" from wrecked.ot-boats.noah.
....as you were. )