z1r1200cc

Default New Trailer Question ?

I have to purchase a new trailer, I have a Shorland 'r now and it is painted
and I used it in sal****er and it is now finished.
I am looking at the same model galvanized.
I have also been looking at aluminum also, by FloatOn and other companies.

What are the pros and cons of aluminum, the boat looks like it would sit
higher on the aluminum trailers, any suggestions and or experience?

Thanks in advance,
Joe

JDavis1277

Joe,

Aluminum with stainless hardware, torsion suspension and stainless disc brakes
is about as bullet proof as you can get.

Galvanized with galvanized hardwear and standard suspension and brakes will
eventually fail. Just tightening any loose bolts will provide an opening for
corrosion. If it starts in a more or less hidden spot it can do a lot of
damage before it's noticed.

If you plan to use the trailer for several years, aluminum is the only smart
way to go, IMO.

I know of no downside to aluminum.

Butch

I have to purchase a new trailer, I have a Shorland 'r now and it is painted
and I used it in sal****er and it is now finished.
I am looking at the same model galvanized.
I have also been looking at aluminum also, by FloatOn and other companies.

What are the pros and cons of aluminum, the boat looks like it would sit
higher on the aluminum trailers, any suggestions and or experience?

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Basspro*

I've heard that once a rivet rust on an aluminum trailer forget it.
Rust will spread like wildfire. On the other hand, galvanized only
stays rust resistant for a small period of time even after washing it
down with fresh water after each use. I personally own a galvanized
trailer and my fishing partner owns a aluminum trailer. I've seen both
in action and have towed both. My advice: galvanized are good because
they don't flex which makes for a more sturdy feel when trailering.
However, take into consideration galvanized will rust faster than
aluminum I'd take aluminum. Make sure you buy stainless stell hardware
for your aluminum trailer. If you're not willing to spend money on the
stainless hardware buy galvanized steel. I will probably last about
the same amount of time in that situation and cost less.

F330 GT

I've heard that once a rivet rust on an aluminum trailer forget it.
Rust will spread like wildfire.

This is a terrible situation. If a rivet rusts, it is iron or steel.
An iron bearing rivet in aluminum is just begging for dissimilar metal
corrosion.... big trouble.

Have you ever seen a steel rivet on an aluminum trailer? Can't say that I have
and I've had at least 5 aluminum trailers that I can think of.. Any steel parts
that I can remember were galvanized and fastened with galvanized bolts. I don't
ever remember rust being a problem on the main frames of aluminum trailers. The
springs and spring connectors and the axles maybe. All are parts that are
generally considered replacement parts.

Barry