Default Comcast Cable problem solved!

On Sat, 13 Jun 2020 22:38:39 -0400, Alex wrote:

RCE wrote:
On 6/12/2020 9:17 PM, Alex wrote:
RCE wrote:

None of my thoughts on the problem were valid.

Turns out the cable line that runs *under* my driveway has
a fault or cut in it and moisture has been slowly attacking
it over the years.

It's not buried very deep apparently.Â* What was happening
is that every time I left the house and the truck drove
over the spot with the damaged cable, it disturbed the
connection and I'll lose Internet.Â* TV was still ok but
the TV service only uses a small part of the overall
bandwidth.Â* Internet and Voice (if you have it) uses a
lot of bandwidth.

Super tech found it using a meter that picks up leakage.

He ran a new temporary cable from the pedestal at the end
of the driveway to the house and all works good again.

He even upgraded to the newest cable box and programmed
two of the voice activated remotes.

Comcast will contact Dig-Safe to check for power lines, etc.
and then they will bury the new cable.

Finally!Â* After almost a month it works great.

Nice!Â* What a strange issue.Â* I guess they will have to bury it away
from the driveway?

Yup.Â* They have to contact Dig Safe to come out and mark any utilities,
water, electricity, etc. and will then send a crew out to witch ditch
a new access along the driveway, under a walkway and into the house.
They run the cable through a plastic conduit.

Cool thing is I now have the latest and greatest "Gateway" plus the
super tech upgraded my primary cable box to the newest X1 type,
programmed and gave me
two X1 voice controlled remotes and made sure it was all working.
I had been using the old school type remotes.

All for free.Â* Plus, Comcast is giving me a unspecified credit on my
account for the inconvenience.

How are they going to get it under your walkway?Â* Those directional
boring machines can't be cheap to bring in and operate.Â* The are also
big and might screw up your lawn.

We use a pipe and a water hose here.
I shot a 2" PVC pipe 22' under my garage and hit a hole a foot wide.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Pipe%20shot...r%20garage.jpg
RCE RCE is offline

On 6/13/2020 10:38 PM, Alex wrote:
RCE wrote:
On 6/12/2020 9:17 PM, Alex wrote:
RCE wrote:

[...]

They do it hydraulically.

I saw them do this at a neighbor's house and they went under a 14' wide
driveway. They used a contraption that hooked up to the outdoor
water spigot. Dug a hole on either side of the driveway, put the
water pipe thing in and in about 20 minutes it had a tunnel under
the driveway.

In my case they are not going under the driveway again. The new cable
will be in a trench running along the driveway and then under a
3 foot wide walkway. Duck soup.

I did this myself in Florida when I was running power for the RV we
had parked on a slab in the back yard. I just used a 4-5 foot section
of plastic conduit, made up a jury-rigged adapter to attach a water
hose and just kept pushing it under the walkway. Once I had the
conduit through I disconnected the water hose, blew any remaining
water out of the conduit and ran the power cables through it.

https://www.avg.com

Alex Wrote in message:
RCE wrote: On 6/12/2020 9:17 PM, Alex wrote: RCE wrote: None of my thoughts on the problem were valid. Turns out the cable line that runs *under* my driveway has a fault or cut in it and moisture has been slowly attacking it over the years. It's not buried very deep apparently. What was happening is that every time I left the house and the truck drove over the spot with the damaged cable, it disturbed the connection and I'll lose Internet. TV was still ok but the TV service only uses a small part of the overall bandwidth. Internet and Voice (if you have it) uses a lot of bandwidth. Super tech found it using a meter that picks up leakage. He ran a new temporary cable from the pedestal at the end of the driveway to the house and all works good again. He even upgraded to the newest cable box and programmed two of the voice activated remotes. Comcast will contact Dig-Safe to check for power lines, etc. and then they will bury the new cable. Finally! After almost a month it works great. Nice! What a strange issue. I guess they will have to bury it away from the driveway? Yup. They have to contact Dig Safe to come out and mark any utilities, water, electricity, etc. and will then send a crew out to witch ditch a new access along the driveway, under a walkway and into the house. They run the cable through a plastic conduit. Cool thing is I now have the latest and greatest "Gateway" plus the super tech upgraded my primary cable box to the newest X1 type, programmed and gave me two X1 voice controlled remotes and made sure it was all working. I had been using the old school type remotes. All for free. Plus, Comcast is giving me a unspecified credit on my account for the inconvenience.How are they going to get it under your walkway? Those directional boring machines can't be cheap to bring in and operate. The are also big and might screw up your lawn.

Water jetting might work. I had some success with that method when
I lived up nawth. Works great in Florida.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

On Sun, 14 Jun 2020 09:46:52 -0400 (EDT), Justan Ohlphart
wrote:

Alex Wrote in message:
[...]

I doubt it would work at all where I lived in Maryland. Too much rock
in the soil, that is basically hard packed clay anyway. It was hard
enough just driving a stake in the ground.
RCE RCE is offline

wrote:

Alex Wrote in message:

[...]

Depends on how deep you go and what the fill is on the lot your house
was build on. Comcast doesn't bury the cable very deep.

https://www.avg.com

wrote:

Alex Wrote in message:
[...]

My cable is in conduit, so when they replaced the cable, just hooked the
new cable to the old and pulled it through.

RCE RCE is offline

wrote:

Alex Wrote in message:
[...]

The cable here is in some sort of plastic tubing but not rigid like
metal or PVC conduit. The tech tried pulling the old cable out but
it was hung up on something and then broke ... probably where the bad
spot was.

https://www.avg.com

wrote:

Alex Wrote in message:
[...]

In southern Maryland the fill will be the same bank run gravel that
was there before they built the house, usually from the basement down
the street or the one they dug for that house. They might put a couple
inches of top soil under the sod or not. I agree Comcast won't go much
below that top soil tho. They use an edger around here. Scratch a
little groove a few inches deep and stuff that orange coax in there.
I do understand they may be a little more tightly regulated in other
places but most people assume low voltage is not covered by the NEC
(not true at all, it is just un inspected most of the time)