RCE RCE is offline

Default Comcast Cable problem solved!

None of my thoughts on the problem were valid.

Turns out the cable line that runs *under* my driveway has
a fault or cut in it and moisture has been slowly attacking
it over the years.

It's not buried very deep apparently. What was happening
is that every time I left the house and the truck drove
over the spot with the damaged cable, it disturbed the
connection and I'll lose Internet. TV was still ok but
the TV service only uses a small part of the overall
bandwidth. Internet and Voice (if you have it) uses a
lot of bandwidth.

Super tech found it using a meter that picks up leakage.

He ran a new temporary cable from the pedestal at the end
of the driveway to the house and all works good again.

He even upgraded to the newest cable box and programmed
two of the voice activated remotes.

Comcast will contact Dig-Safe to check for power lines, etc.
and then they will bury the new cable.

Finally! After almost a month it works great.

https://www.avg.com

On Fri, 12 Jun 2020 12:19:10 -0400, RCE wrote:

[...]

===

It's good that you had a sharp service guy. Some problems like that
can be difficult to find.

Many years ago on our first sailboat, I had a weird problem with the
depth sounder, one of the only bits of electronics on the boat, the
old rotating, flashing bulb type. I traced it down to bad co-ax, but
it was the outer braid that high resistance which seemed impossible to
my untrained eye. It turned out that the insulation had developed a
pin hole leak in the middle of the cable run. The copper braid in
that area had turned into a green mush.

[...]

Good show. Glad all is well.
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

On Friday, June 12, 2020 at 12:19:17 PM UTC-4, RCE wrote:
[...]

Very good!

The weird thing about this is that the signal was back to normal, but the modem would disconnect and then not reconnect until you unscrewed the cable from it and re-attached it. If the signal was good enough to reconnect, why wouldn't it just do it without having to lose the signal first by disconnecting? And why when your phone reconnected? That's not much data.
Sounds like a bug in the firmware to me.

Oh well, welcome back.

RCE wrote:

None of my thoughts on the problem were valid.

Turns out the cable line that runs *under* my driveway has
a fault or cut in it and moisture has been slowly attacking
it over the years.

It's not buried very deep apparently.Â* What was happening
is that every time I left the house and the truck drove
over the spot with the damaged cable, it disturbed the
connection and I'll lose Internet.Â* TV was still ok but
the TV service only uses a small part of the overall
bandwidth.Â* Internet and Voice (if you have it) uses a
lot of bandwidth.

Super tech found it using a meter that picks up leakage.

He ran a new temporary cable from the pedestal at the end
of the driveway to the house and all works good again.

He even upgraded to the newest cable box and programmed
two of the voice activated remotes.

Comcast will contact Dig-Safe to check for power lines, etc.
and then they will bury the new cable.

Finally!Â* After almost a month it works great.

Nice!Â* What a strange issue.Â* I guess they will have to bury it away
from the driveway?

RCE RCE is offline

On 6/12/2020 9:17 PM, Alex wrote:
RCE wrote:

[...]

Yup. They have to contact Dig Safe to come out and mark any utilities,
water, electricity, etc. and will then send a crew out to witch ditch
a new access along the driveway, under a walkway and into the house.
They run the cable through a plastic conduit.

Cool thing is I now have the latest and greatest "Gateway" plus the
super tech upgraded my primary cable box to the newest X1 type,
programmed and gave me
two X1 voice controlled remotes and made sure it was all working.
I had been using the old school type remotes.

All for free. Plus, Comcast is giving me a unspecified credit on my
account for the inconvenience.

[...]

I don't know why they need a "locate" since they will bury it directly
under the sod. ;-)

wrote:
[...]

Cheaper than a lawsuit. They located when I had to have my water line
replaced. Even though they did a trenchless replacement.

RCE wrote:
On 6/12/2020 9:17 PM, Alex wrote:
RCE wrote:

[...]

Yup.Â* They have to contact Dig Safe to come out and mark any utilities,
water, electricity, etc. and will then send a crew out to witch ditch
a new access along the driveway, under a walkway and into the house.
They run the cable through a plastic conduit.

Cool thing is I now have the latest and greatest "Gateway" plus the
super tech upgraded my primary cable box to the newest X1 type,
programmed and gave me
two X1 voice controlled remotes and made sure it was all working.
I had been using the old school type remotes.

All for free.Â* Plus, Comcast is giving me a unspecified credit on my
account for the inconvenience.

How are they going to get it under your walkway?Â* Those directional
boring machines can't be cheap to bring in and operate.Â* The are also
big and might screw up your lawn.