Default Freaking cold

On Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 1:29:56 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 08:16:33 -0500 (EST), Justan Ohlphart
wrote:

Wrote in message:
On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 22:40:43 -0500 (EST), Justan wrote:True North Wrote in message: Just got in from walking the dog. Temp is minus 14 C with a strong northerly wind.Hard to walk into it..especially into the strong gusts. Weatherman says we should get relief around the end of March.Oldest son is flying to Europe from Toronto tomorrow with an hour and a half stop in Iceland.Toronto is expecting 15 cm of snow tomorrow and Iceland is expecting strong winds. Hope he's able to get there without major delays.Your numbers don't computr in America===I appreciate that you're just busting chops but in case not, this willhelp:https://www.google.com/search?source...K0_rAb0---This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.https://www.avg.com

If he wants to talk to Americans, let him do the translatin.

===

Except for the few Americans who wanted to continue living in the dark
ages, we'd be totally on the metric system now like the rest of the
civilized world. It will happen eventually anyway but it's taking a
lot longer than it should have. Some of the arguments presented
against converting were right out of the lunatic fringe.

There are some years of GM vehicles that are a mix of metric and fractional.. You never know what set of sockets or wrenches to grab.

wrote:

Wrote in message:
[...]

Bingo!
Your lagging makes it a bit tougher on us also.
When we changed the idea was so we could trade easier with the rest of the world. Trouble is, the US has remained our biggest partner by far.
Of course that could change if Trump continues his disastrous ways.

wrote:

Wrote in message:
[...]

When teaching and the kids complained about fractions, I'd ask them to tell their parents to urge
Congress to go completely metric. Why we haven't is beyond me. It is so much simpler.

===

The reason why we're not metric is because ignorant dumfochs argued
that it was some sort of communist plot to make them buy new tools and
form a "one-world" government. No joke.

---
https://www.avg.com

wrote:

Wrote in message:
[...]

So we had to buy new tools anyway, and now we're still on track for an OAC style "one-world" government, right?

wrote:

Wrote in message:
[...]

I think metric is inevitable. It's just taking longer than it should.
We should be teaching it in schools from an early age so everyone gets
used to the idea. Of course that would turn it into another communist
plot. :-) It really needs strong bi-partisan support and we all know
what the probability of that is.

---
https://www.avg.com

wrote:

Wrote in message:
[...]

I have both side by side in my tool assortment because my boats are a
mixture of both. No big deal.

---
https://www.avg.com

wrote:

Wrote in message:
[...]

Tools and liquor seem to be the most successful conversion so far. Of
course the tools were driven by the fact that we don't actually make
much here and the rest of the world assembles things with metric
fasteners.

wrote:

Wrote in message:
[...]

It is the same with a Mercury outboard. The power head is a licensed
Yamaha (metric) and the rest is SAE.
It just depends on where the assembly is sourced from.

wrote:

Wrote in message:
[...]

Yeah the "Commie Metric" thing. I still use that as a joke.
I guess it is just that we always resist any kind of change.
I am pretty much bilingual. My water stuff is all metric and half of
the mechanical stuff I have is metric but I still have "American"
thermostats and measuring cups.
Wood is increasingly metric although we are in denial. Instead of
saying you have 12mm plywood, they come up with the 15/32ds thing that
nobody understands. I guess nobody wants commie plywood. We would
rather just think the Koch Brothers are ripping us off for 1/32" of
wood.
I do know if you buy a 12mm router bit, your joints fit perfectly.
You can still buy domestically produced hardwood veneer ply in
American sizes and most "marine" ply is American size.

So cold! John H[_2_] General 76 January 5th 18 01:01 PM
it is as cold outside... Keyser Söze General 3 February 16th 15 06:15 PM
Something we can do in the cold Frogwatch General 21 January 6th 10 12:46 PM
Maxprop's a freaking jerk liar.... Ellen MacArthur ASA 22 January 20th 07 04:52 PM