Default On tap for tonight

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 17:26:54 -0500,
wrote:

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 16:03:06 -0500,
wrote:

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 13:50:43 -0500, John H.
wrote:

Blackened mahi mahi. Costco had fresh mahi mahi on sale.

https://www.fromvalerieskitchen.com/...ned-mahi-mahi/

I always thought all that spice was just to brighten up mediocre fish.
Fresh Mahi seems just fine to me seared on the grill. It is crunchy on
the outside and the juice squirts out when you cut into it. Just don't
overcook it.
I save that cajun stuff for frozen Cod or EEEK, that septic tank grown
Tilapia. Actually we can catch Tilapia out of the pond right here in
the neighborhood. They got loose here in Florida and they are turning
up everywhere.

===

Yes, even the drainage ditches along 41.

I agree with you on preparing Mahi, no heavy seasoning required.

My neighbor pulled a "too small" Bass out of the catch basin along
Broadway, the main drag from 41 to my road. He threw it back into our
pond. If the gators didn't get it, we may have a lot of bass in there.
To my knowledge he is really the only guy who fished there. He used to
drop a line in every little puddle he saw and caught all sorts of
stuff.
The wild caught tilapia I have had, weren't horrible.

wrote:

Blackened mahi mahi. Costco had fresh mahi mahi on sale.

https://www.fromvalerieskitchen.com/...ned-mahi-mahi/

I always thought all that spice was just to brighten up mediocre fish.
Fresh Mahi seems just fine to me seared on the grill. It is crunchy on
the outside and the juice squirts out when you cut into it. Just don't
overcook it.
I save that cajun stuff for frozen Cod or EEEK, that septic tank grown
Tilapia. Actually we can catch Tilapia out of the pond right here in
the neighborhood. They got loose here in Florida and they are turning
up everywhere.

===

Yes, even the drainage ditches along 41.

I agree with you on preparing Mahi, no heavy seasoning required.

---
https://www.avg.com

What, if anything, do you put on it. How do you fix it, baked, broiled, grilled, fried, or what?

It is pretty good if you sear it over high heat on the grille. That is
how I usually get it in restaurants here. I give it a light dusting of
Adobo, basically garlic, salt and pepper. Don't kill it with spice and
don't overcook it.

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 16:45:18 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 12:50:44 PM UTC-6, John H wrote:
Blackened mahi mahi. Costco had fresh mahi mahi on sale.

https://www.fromvalerieskitchen.com/...ned-mahi-mahi/

Over in Hawaii, we saw some of those swim past our tour catamaran. Those are one fast fish!

I remember the first time I was fishing blue water off of Hattaras the
guy had the boat up on top and he put a few lines out with "Chinese
Feathers" on them, a big honking metal plug.
I asked if he was just doing that so we would think we were fishing
while we were running out to the good spot. He just laughed and a
minute later a Mahi hit a plug. We were doing about 25-30.
Mahi are the same way, fast fish.
The little schoolies are weird tho. If you have one hooked in the
water, they will all come around to see what he is eating and you can
fill the boat if you wanted to, as long as you keep one hooked in the
water.
Most responsible captains will say "That's enough" after you catch a
few each. They know preserving the resource is preserving their job.

Tim wrote:
On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 12:50:44 PM UTC-6, John H wrote:
Blackened mahi mahi. Costco had fresh mahi mahi on sale.

https://www.fromvalerieskitchen.com/...ned-mahi-mahi/

Over in Hawaii, we saw some of those swim past our tour catamaran. Those are one fast fish!

Most of the bigger warm water fish are fast. I had a small, maybe 30#,
Bluefin tuna strip a reel of about 165 yards in 20 seconds. Was fishing
20# test for Yellowtail when we hid a small schooler Skipjack tuna. The
bluefin were underneath the skippies.

wrote:

[...]

A nice coating of unsweetened coconut flakes and Panko and quickly fried

wrote:

[...]

When I go on long range trips, we can not use plugs on Dorado, same fish.
Have to use bait, as they are so fast and energetic that if they throw the
plug, it may come flying back aboard.

wrote:

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 12:50:44 PM UTC-6, John H wrote:
Blackened mahi mahi. Costco had fresh mahi mahi on sale.

https://www.fromvalerieskitchen.com/...ned-mahi-mahi/

Over in Hawaii, we saw some of those swim past our tour catamaran. Those are one fast fish!

===

Yes, and they are ferocious fighters also.

---
https://www.avg.com

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 15:04:59 -0800 (PST), True North wrote:

The John flushes his head...

"What, if anything, do you put on it. How do you fix it, baked, broiled, grilled, fried, or what?"

Hell Johnny. Dig out your collection of cookbooks.
I heard you have more than Ditzy has guns.

Did Lora tell you to post that?

wrote:

[...]

It can be very good with any of those choices. Lightly breaded and
fried is probably my favorite however.

---
https://www.avg.com

Will give that a shot next time. But, the blackened method I used last night even got rave reviews
from my wife. It was pretty damn good.

Will try it the easy way next week, if Costco still has it.

wrote:

[...]

In oil or butter? I used butter with the blackened seasoning.