Diver1055

Default 3 or 4 blade props?

Hi

I have just purchased a 2950 Proline with twin 225 OceanRunners. I am trying
to get the best economical cruise speed I can. I was wonderig what would be
the advantages to a 4 blade prop as apposed to a three blade prop...

Thanks
Rick
Tony Thomas

For this application, good performance SS 4 blade props would be the best
choice. They will give you better acceleration, planing speed, and low
speed cruising ability. You will loose a few mph on top end but chances are
your not trying for top end speed anyway. You will definetly like the way
the boat behaves. Prop for right at max rpms on the engines at wide open.

Don't waist your money on aluminum 4 blade or composite 4 blade as you have
too much torque for these props to hold their shape over time.

--
Tony
my boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Diver1055" wrote in message
Hi

I have just purchased a 2950 Proline with twin 225 OceanRunners. I am

trying
to get the best economical cruise speed I can. I was wonderig what would

be
the advantages to a 4 blade prop as apposed to a three blade prop...

Thanks
Rick

F330 GT

"Diver1055" wrote in message
Hi

I have just purchased a 2950 Proline with twin 225 OceanRunners. I am

trying
to get the best economical cruise speed I can. I was wonderig what would

be
the advantages to a 4 blade prop as apposed to a three blade prop...

Thanks
Rick

Tony,

I don't disagree with the response as far as the qualities of 4 blades but he
was asking for the most economical cruise. I can't imagine a 4 blade being more
economical than a 3. Common sense tells me there would be less drag with one
less blade.

Barry
Tony Thomas

The most economical cruise is going to be at the lowest rpms and maintaining
plane. A 4 blade will allow for a lower rpm than the 3 blade at minimal
plane speed. It will also give you better throttle response and quicker
planing.

--

"Diver1055" wrote in message
Hi

I have just purchased a 2950 Proline with twin 225 OceanRunners. I am

trying
to get the best economical cruise speed I can. I was wonderig what

would
be
the advantages to a 4 blade prop as apposed to a three blade prop...

Thanks
Rick

Tony,

I don't disagree with the response as far as the qualities of 4 blades but

he
was asking for the most economical cruise. I can't imagine a 4 blade being

more
economical than a 3. Common sense tells me there would be less drag with

one
less blade.

Barry

Trond Solem

"Tony Thomas" wrote in message
The most economical cruise is going to be at the lowest rpms and

maintaining
plane. A 4 blade will allow for a lower rpm than the 3 blade at minimal
plane speed. It will also give you better throttle response and quicker
planing.

Nope! Not 100% correct.
The most economical cruise is going to be near the most effective RPM of the
motor. It is going to be a bit higher than the max torque RPM, but still a
bit under max HP RPM.
To find what RPM gives the most economical cruise, you just have to do som
testing.
As speed increases, the drag increases. This will offset the economy RPM. A
4 blade prop has more drag due to one more blade to push through the water,
so the 3 blade may be better for economy. This again depends on propeller
design. A good 3 blade SS prop is probably best for economy. A good 4 blade
prop gives better accelration and less vibration, but lower top speed.

Trond

Capt. Frank Hopkins

In the lower rpm range, while traveling in displacement mode, (I do a
lot of that) will a 4 blade "push" more water at a lower rpm? That is to
say will a 4 blade 21"x18" stainless perform as well as a 3 blade
21"x21" or would I simply be overloading the motor?

Capt. Frank

Trond Solem wrote:
[...]

Tony Thomas

First of all, normally a 4 blade prop will have a smaller diameter than the
3 blade to compensate for the extra blade surface.
You want to go with the same pitch prop. The 18 will be way too small a
prop and will travel less and be less efficient than the 21. Stay with same
pitch which is inches of travel forward per revolution (in theory not
compensating for slip). A 4 blade will have less slip at lower rpms than a
3 blade which is why it will be more efficient at cruise.

--
Tony
my boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

.net...

Trond Solem wrote:
[...]

Capt. Frank Hopkins

Ok, Tony,

That makes sense. Is there a formula for calculating a prop's thrust?
rpm vs hp? Given 21" pitch and the current 3 blade a 21" diameter
(stainless steel)

21?R²(0.66)=19.0250?R²(0.80) it doesn't work out exactly.

If the formula doesn't display in the newsgroup, I will try a different
venue.

Thanks,

Capt Frank

Tony Thomas wrote:
First of all, normally a 4 blade prop will have a smaller diameter than the
3 blade to compensate for the extra blade surface.
You want to go with the same pitch prop. The 18 will be way too small a
prop and will travel less and be less efficient than the 21. Stay with same
pitch which is inches of travel forward per revolution (in theory not
compensating for slip). A 4 blade will have less slip at lower rpms than a
3 blade which is why it will be more efficient at cruise.

Tony Thomas

Only formula I am aware of is the speed formula.

rpm x pitch
------------------ = theoritical speed x efficiency = actual speed
1056 x gear ratio

1056 is a conversion factor to get from inches of pitch and rev per minute
into miles per hour.

gear ratio will be 1.5 or 1.86 or 2.0 depending on your motor usually.

--
Tony
my boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

nk.net...

Tony Thomas wrote:
First of all, normally a 4 blade prop will have a smaller diameter than

the
3 blade to compensate for the extra blade surface.
You want to go with the same pitch prop. The 18 will be way too small a
prop and will travel less and be less efficient than the 21. Stay with

same
pitch which is inches of travel forward per revolution (in theory not
compensating for slip). A 4 blade will have less slip at lower rpms

than a
3 blade which is why it will be more efficient at cruise.

Capt. Frank Hopkins

Thanks a lot Tony.

I will see what else I can find on the subject and post it.

CF

Tony Thomas wrote:
Only formula I am aware of is the speed formula.

rpm x pitch
------------------ = theoritical speed x efficiency = actual speed
1056 x gear ratio

1056 is a conversion factor to get from inches of pitch and rev per minute
into miles per hour.

gear ratio will be 1.5 or 1.86 or 2.0 depending on your motor usually.

Bad News for Lake Erie: From the Toledo Blade RGrew176 General 4 September 27th 03 03:10 PM
Rigging knife Doug Kanter General 7 August 19th 03 05:40 AM
B.O.A.T. RGrew176 General 7 July 20th 03 10:59 PM
piranha props Tony Thomas General 4 July 18th 03 02:44 AM