Tony Thomas

Default piranha props

It is a choice. And you get what you pay for. Cheap is cheap.
You have to remember that a huge portion of the performance of your boat
comes from the prop and its design.
There is a reason that performance boaters use SS props that are more
expensive.

Tony

"Randy" wrote in message
.. .
Anyone out there have any experience with them? I have to buy a new prop

and
was looking at these as a choice.

Wayne Brownlee

I have had one for 5 years because the lake I use has lots of rock. MY 4
blade is more power to pull skiers than my SS 2 blade.

Tony Thomas

Any 4 blade prop (for that matter any 3 blade prop) will be better than a 2
blade prop for pulling skiers. Not a valid comparison.

Tony
my boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Wayne Brownlee" wrote in message
I have had one for 5 years because the lake I use has lots of rock. MY 4
blade is more power to pull skiers than my SS 2 blade.

Lloyd Sumpter

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 18:13:39 +0000, Randy wrote:

Anyone out there have any experience with them? I have to buy a new prop and
was looking at these as a choice.

I got one for my Campion because it was cheaper than the standard Merc
prop. Looked great! but I couldn't really tell any difference in
performance from the standard Merc aluminum.

Lloyd

Ed Hale

No one said that Piranha was a performance prop. If you want
performance, get a stainless.

I have a new Piranha on a SeaRay 190 and after approx 1,000 miles of
cruising on the Tennessee River, I love it. I have broken two blades,
but no damage to the drive shaft. Performance is almost exactly like a
standard aluminum prop of the same pitch. Comparing to a stainless I
don't see much difference out of the hole and at my normal cruising
power setting of 3000-3200 rpm. The stainless maybe show 1 mph more at
this power setting, but no more. I don't have a problem with a 1 mph
loss at cruising speed when I can repair a blade for $20. We all know
what repairing a stainless costs not to mention what happens if the
dinged stainless also bent the drive shaft. Now you are talking much
bigger bucks.

At WOT the stainless shows me 6 mph more than the Piranha, but I don't
do that anymore anyway. I love the Piranha and plan to continue using it.

All my speeds were measured with a WAAS enabled GPS.

captain Ed