RGrew176

Default B.O.A.T.

Bring on another thousand. It is time to replace my current props and put them
into service as spares. I have the original equipment Mercruiser Bravo II
drives swinging counterrotating 17 1/2" dia 23 pitch props. At this time only
Mercury seems to make these props as I have called some of the other
replacement prop companies and they do not have my props in stock yet.

The price for the aluminum props is $550 each. The price for the stainless
steel props is $675 each. I am debating whether or not to spend the extra $250
and upgrade to stainless while keeping my current aluminums as spares.

I understand that stainless will give my boat somewhat better all around
performance due to their design, thinner blades, somewhat I am told more cupped
and thus a better bite.

What would you do? Seeking advice.

Thanks in advance.
bowgus

An aquaintance boats in a lake, docking in relatively shallow water meaning
that sticks, gravel etc are constantly getting kicked up into the prop. He's
had his stainless prop for ... 14 years? He described how it recently
"walked across" a semi-floating 2x10 taking bite size chunks out of the
plank every 4" or so ... no damage to the prop. I suggested he might use it
to chop his kindling in the fall. No debate ... stainless.

"RGrew176" wrote in message
[...]

OldAsDirtSchool

RGrew176 wrote:

Bring on another thousand. It is time to replace my current props and put them
into service as spares. I have the original equipment Mercruiser Bravo II
drives swinging counterrotating 17 1/2" dia 23 pitch props. At this time only
Mercury seems to make these props as I have called some of the other
replacement prop companies and they do not have my props in stock yet.

The price for the aluminum props is $550 each. The price for the stainless
steel props is $675 each. I am debating whether or not to spend the extra $250
and upgrade to stainless while keeping my current aluminums as spares.

I understand that stainless will give my boat somewhat better all around
performance due to their design, thinner blades, somewhat I am told more cupped
and thus a better bite.

What would you do? Seeking advice.

Thanks in advance.

I'm no expert, but $550 sounds very high for aluminum props. Even
specialty ones. Even though they might not have one for your specific
application I'll add another option to the list just in case. I recently
bought a pair of Piranha composite props as backups to my stainless Merc
props. Very reasonable price, no corrosion concerns, replaceable blades,
Stronger yet lighter than cast aluminum. I can't vouch for actual
performance though, I've been lucky enough not to need them yet.
www.piranha.com. I have no affiliation with these guys, just seemed like
a good choice for my emergency needs.

Florida Keyz

Default Is this the trailers full of hot air discusion group??

SHEESH!
basskisser

(Florida Keyz) wrote in message ...
SHEESH!

Oh, you know better than that, it's the Bush's Resume group.

RGrew176

Bring on another thousand. It is time to replace my current props and put
them
into service as spares.

Thanks for all the advice. I ordered the stainless and they should be in this
week. I will have my aluminums refurbished over the winter and keep them for
spares.

Jesse Jackson, Jim Baker and Jimmy Swaggert have written an impressive
new book. It's called, "Ministers Do More Than Lay People.

RGrew176

From: OldAsDirtSchool

I'm no expert, but $550 sounds very high for aluminum props. Even
specialty ones. Even though they might not have one for your specific
application I'll add another option to the list just in case. I recently
bought a pair of Piranha composite props as backups to my stainless Merc
props. Very reasonable price, no corrosion concerns, replaceable blades,
Stronger yet lighter than cast aluminum. I can't vouch for actual
performance though, I've been lucky enough not to need them yet.
www.piranha.com. I have no affiliation with these guys, just seemed like
a good choice for my emergency needs.

You are correct that is HIGH, but that is the price they are asking. I have a
rare prop I guess and so far none of the other propellor makers make the prop I
need. My boat performs very well with them so I do not want to change anything
therefore I will go with the stainless for the difference in price.

"Transvestite: A guy who likes to eat, drink and be Mary.

Steve Barker

Did you check with http://www.midwestpropeller.com/ ??

--
Steve (here to have fun) Barker
Stilwell, Kansas

Remove the not dot from my address to abuse my email box