OldAsDirtSchool

Default B.O.A.T.

RGrew176 wrote:

Bring on another thousand. It is time to replace my current props and put them
into service as spares. I have the original equipment Mercruiser Bravo II
drives swinging counterrotating 17 1/2" dia 23 pitch props. At this time only
Mercury seems to make these props as I have called some of the other
replacement prop companies and they do not have my props in stock yet.

The price for the aluminum props is $550 each. The price for the stainless
steel props is $675 each. I am debating whether or not to spend the extra $250
and upgrade to stainless while keeping my current aluminums as spares.

I understand that stainless will give my boat somewhat better all around
performance due to their design, thinner blades, somewhat I am told more cupped
and thus a better bite.

What would you do? Seeking advice.

Thanks in advance.

I'm no expert, but $550 sounds very high for aluminum props. Even
specialty ones. Even though they might not have one for your specific
application I'll add another option to the list just in case. I recently
bought a pair of Piranha composite props as backups to my stainless Merc
props. Very reasonable price, no corrosion concerns, replaceable blades,
Stronger yet lighter than cast aluminum. I can't vouch for actual
performance though, I've been lucky enough not to need them yet.
www.piranha.com. I have no affiliation with these guys, just seemed like
a good choice for my emergency needs.