Tim Tim is offline

Default Pontoon 2nd thoughts.

I like these cool old engines I have but now having 2nd thoughts on the whole project. When someone said the could get 30 mph or to that effect, on a good day with their 24 ft’r

This is boggling meh about a 30, and loaded down for a couple weeks of river camping on the Ohio river and Kentucky lake. If your pushing against a 20 mi headwind and going against a 7 mph flow stream, sounds like a long day.. Especially when covering 250+ miles.

Barges and their Wakes? Errrr.

I might have to rethink my ideas of nautical adventures.

On 5/12/18 10:49 AM, Tim wrote:
I like these cool old engines I have but now having 2nd thoughts on the whole project. When someone said the could get 30 mph or to that effect, on a good day with their 24 ft’r

This is boggling meh about a 30, and loaded down for a couple weeks of river camping on the Ohio river and Kentucky lake. If your pushing against a 20 mi headwind and going against a 7 mph flow stream, sounds like a long day. Especially when covering 250+ miles.

Barges and their Wakes? Errrr.

I might have to rethink my ideas of nautical adventures.

When I fished the seaward ends of the St Johns River in Jax, I'd see
pleasure displacement trawlers capable of maybe 8 knots heading out and
working hard to overcome the incoming tidal current, which was, if I
recall, 4 to 5 knots at times, and with a wind coming from the east,
they'd make almost no headway for hours.
Tim Tim is offline

9:53 AMKeyser Soze
When I fished the seaward ends of the St Johns River in Jax, I'd see
pleasure displacement trawlers capable of maybe 8 knots heading out and
working hard to overcome the incoming tidal current, which was, if I
recall, 4 to 5 knots at times, and with a wind coming from the east,
they'd make almost no headway for hours.

And I’m beginning to appreciate that. Planning is best, and in many cases, you can’t plan enough.

I have thought of another option and that I’d have it converted to I/O. Then we’re talking lots of money and killing the fun factor. Oh well. I’ll keep thinking on this project...

On 5/12/2018 10:53 AM, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 5/12/18 10:49 AM, Tim wrote:
I like these cool old engines I have but now having 2nd thoughts on
the whole project. When someone said the could get 30 mph or to that
effect, on a good day with their 24 ft’r

This is boggling meh about a 30, and loaded down for a couple weeks of
river camping on the Ohio river and Kentucky lake.Â* If your pushing
against a 20 mi headwind and going against a 7 mph flow stream, sounds
like a long day. Especially when covering 250+ miles.

Barges and their Wakes? Errrr.

I might have to rethink my ideas of nautical adventures.

When I fished the seaward ends of the St Johns River in Jax, I'd see
pleasure displacement trawlers capable of maybe 8 knots heading out and
working hard to overcome the incoming tidal current, which was, if I
recall, 4 to 5 knots at times, and with a wind coming from the east,
they'd make almost no headway for hours.

The current in the Cape Cod Canal can exceed 7 knots at times. The last
time I took Mrs.E's 36' Grand Banks through the canal (against the
current) the people walking along the walker's path on the side of the
canal were going faster than I was and I had the throttle pretty much
wide open.

A few were laughing and waving at me as I struggled along making all of
about 2 knots forward.
Tim Tim is offline

10:17 AMMr. Luddite
The current in the Cape Cod Canal can exceed 7 knots at times. The last
time I took Mrs.E's 36' Grand Banks through the canal (against the
current) the people walking along the walker's path on the side of the
canal were going faster than I was and I had the throttle pretty much
wide open.

A few were laughing and waving at me as I struggled along making all of
about 2 knots forward.

lol hat sucked. Yknow, it seems that 24 foot toon boats are a lot more popular than 30s and I’m thinking I know why now.especialky this tri toon. I lobe the stability but the extra drag might not be good for what I’m wanting. Hmmm

On Sat, 12 May 2018 07:49:05 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

I like these cool old engines I have but now having 2nd thoughts on the whole project. When someone said the could get 30 mph or to that effect, on a good day with their 24 ft’r

This is boggling meh about a 30, and loaded down for a couple weeks of river camping on the Ohio river and Kentucky lake. If your pushing against a 20 mi headwind and going against a 7 mph flow stream, sounds like a long day. Especially when covering 250+ miles.

Barges and their Wakes? Errrr.

I might have to rethink my ideas of nautical adventures.

I don't see you getting 30 out of that with a 140 but you might.
Pontoons are not speed demons until you get a lot of power behind
them. Look at the bright side, going down river you will be making
good time ;-)
I hope you have places to buy fuel on that 250 mile trip.
Tim Tim is offline

On Sat, 12 May 2018 07:49:05 -0700 (PDT), Tim
I don't see you getting 30 out of that with a 140 but you might.
Pontoons are not speed demons until you get a lot of power behind
them. Look at the bright side, going down river you will be making
good time ;-)
I hope you have places to buy fuel on that 250 mile trip.

There’s several stops along the way.it also has 50 gal capacity and I could ad 30 more.

A few thoughts for those... HK General 42 July 1st 09 01:44 PM
AIS thoughts Gordon Cruising 8 August 19th 08 06:01 PM
2nd thoughts dene General 9 April 25th 07 12:15 AM
Second thoughts Joe ASA 0 September 2nd 04 04:59 PM
Any thoughts Steven Bennett Touring 8 April 15th 04 03:37 PM