Tim Tim is offline

Default So cold!

9:12 AMIts Me
Yeah, it was 13 F here this morning, and will barely break freezing for a few hours today. Then back down into the teens tonight. Wintry mix headed in Wednesday down on the coast, but it's not supposed to extend up this far into the midlands. That's unusual... it normally comes from the NW, not the coast. You son should get a dose of it. Tell him to stock up on milk and bread early, there won't be any available tomorrow.

If there’s a hard winter storm from coming through here, the store shelves are immediately emptied of all the bread, milk, and beer.,.

On Tue, 02 Jan 2018 12:47:56 -0500, John H
wrote:

On Tue, 2 Jan 2018 09:45:49 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 1/2/2018 8:31 AM, John H wrote:

A friend reported it was so cold this morning that he actually saw a liberal with his hands in his
own pockets!

Pushing 12F right now.

A regular heat wave. I'll take it.

Eyeing this potential coastal storm for Thurs - Fri.
Might luck out and have it go too far out to sea. Otherwise ...

Only problem is that after it passes, the cold returns with overnight
lows predicted to be minus 8 or so. That's temp, not wind chill.

This has been one of the coldest December/January months I can remember
having for a long time. Soon will break a 100 year record for temps
remaining below 20 (F). For the past week the daytime temps haven't
even got close to 20, staying in the low to mid teens at best. 0
degrees yesterday morning. This morning it actually warmed up to 3 degrees.

Remote starter getting a workout! :-)

My remote starter, which has been working just fine for years, decided to go haywire. The truck
starts, runs about three seconds and dies. A 'check engine' light showed up about two weeks ago, and
I've not yet run the diagnostics. Maybe they are related.

===

You can take your truck, or any vehicle, to an AutoZone store and they
will diagnose it for you right on the spot at no charge.

---
http://www.avg.com

On Tue, 2 Jan 2018 11:52:37 -0500, Keyser Soze wrote:

On 1/2/18 10:47 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 1/2/2018 10:12 AM, Its Me wrote:
On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 9:45:56 AM UTC-5, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 1/2/2018 8:31 AM, John H wrote:

A friend reported it was so cold this morning that he actually saw a
liberal with his hands in his
own pockets!

Pushing 12F right now.

A regular heat wave.Â* I'll take it.

Eyeing this potential coastal storm for Thurs - Fri.
Might luck out and have it go too far out to sea. Otherwise ...

Only problem is that after it passes, the cold returns with overnight
lows predicted to be minus 8 or so.Â* That's temp, not wind chill.

This has been one of the coldest December/January months I can remember
having for a long time.Â* Soon will break a 100 year record for temps
remaining below 20 (F).Â* For the past week the daytime temps haven't
even got close to 20, staying in the low to mid teens at best.Â* 0
degrees yesterday morning.Â* This morning it actually warmed up to 3
degrees.

Remote starter getting a workout!Â*Â* :-)

Yeah, it was 13 F here this morning, and will barely break freezing
for a few hours today.Â* Then back down into the teens tonight.Â* Wintry
mix headed in Wednesday down on the coast, but it's not supposed to
extend up this far into the midlands.Â* That's unusual... it normally
comes from the NW, not the coast.Â* You son should get a dose of it.
Tell him to stock up on milk and bread early, there won't be any
available tomorrow.Â*

He's been sending me text messages with pictures of the temp down there.
Â*It's cold, but not like up here.Â* He does it just to rub it in.Â* I am
hoping this coastal storm dumps about a foot of snow in his driveway.

We have a small window of snow opportunity on Thursday, but not much.
Plenty cold, though.

The news here made it sound like you were going to get clobbered. They
don't really differentiate between north and south of DC tho.
The worst case for So Md is a low coming up from the south, crashing
into a cold front coming across the mountains and stalling there.
I am not sure of that is what is going on but if that is true, you
will get buried if it is cold enough. Usually the snow stops in
Montgomery County tho because the warm air from the bay and ocean hold
it back.
There were lots of nights when I left Clinton in sleet and freezing
rain to hit 4" or more of snow about the time I got to Rockville. By
the time you got to Gathersburg/Germantown it was a white out.

On 1/2/2018 8:31 AM, John H wrote:

[...]

That could be a bad sensor. It runs in "open cycle" when it first
starts then switches to "closed cycle" where the ECU controls the
emissions and a bad O2 sensor or MAF sensor can screw up the mix
enough so it stalls at idle.

On 1/2/2018 1:08 PM, True North wrote:
On Tuesday, 2 January 2018 10:45:56 UTC-4, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 1/2/2018 8:31 AM, John H wrote:

A friend reported it was so cold this morning that he actually saw a liberal with his hands in his
own pockets!

Pushing 12F right now.

A regular heat wave. I'll take it.

Eyeing this potential coastal storm for Thurs - Fri.
Might luck out and have it go too far out to sea. Otherwise ...

Only problem is that after it passes, the cold returns with overnight
lows predicted to be minus 8 or so. That's temp, not wind chill.

This has been one of the coldest December/January months I can remember
having for a long time. Soon will break a 100 year record for temps
remaining below 20 (F). For the past week the daytime temps haven't
even got close to 20, staying in the low to mid teens at best. 0
degrees yesterday morning. This morning it actually warmed up to 3 degrees.

Remote starter getting a workout! :-)

Don't like this...we very seldom have a white Christmas here in the city and the cold weather usually holds off till January or February. This might make for a long winter as spring arrives about a month after you get it.

My acceptance of Global Warming is definitely being challenged.

On 1/2/2018 8:31 AM, John H wrote:

[...]

He has a diesel. Completely different system. In fact, it may not have
an O2 sensor at all. In a diesel, it gets full air and only the fuel
delivery through the injectors are controlled.

On Tue, 2 Jan 2018 10:13:19 -0800 (PST), True North wrote:

On Tuesday, 2 January 2018 10:46:06 UTC-4, Tim wrote:
7:31 AMJohn H
A friend reported it was so cold this morning that he actually saw a liberal with his hands in his
own pockets!

Pushing 12F right now.

Bright warm sun here but still -2.

That’s the saying about our Illinois Madigans

Tim, you're close to St Louis, eh?
Saw a cable program 'Abandoned' the other day about how the population had dropped in the city. Also the 22 schools that have closed up and are just left to fall apart. Too bad...that big arch and skyline always made the city seem prosperous.

For the past 60+ years the mayor of St. Louis has been a Democrat. It is suffering from the same
pains as many of our other major cities that have been led by Democrats for the past many years. As
long as the welfare keeps flowing, they'll continue to get elected and we'll see our big cities
become like Detroit.

On 1/2/2018 8:31 AM, John H wrote:

[...]

No, no, no! I bought one of those OBD2 scan tools, and by gar, I'm going to do it myself. Although,
I may take it to the Autozone across the street to get my findings verified.

On 1/2/2018 8:31 AM, John H wrote:

[...]

If I start it with the key in the ignition, there's no problem at all. I've had an MAF sensor go
bad. That affects the running of the truck. Don't think that's the problem, or at least I hope not.
Those damn sensors are not cheap.

On 1/2/2018 8:31 AM, John H wrote:

[...]

If you think about it, the remote starter has to tell the vehicle that your foot is on the brake with the "key" in the ignition and in the "start" position, then the "run" position to start it and keep it running. I would think it's done with software control and data these days, but if it's still done with relays simulating sensor activation, I could see the "run" relay being bad.

Be aware that your code scanner does engine codes, but there's a more advanced scanner that the dealership (and some indies) have that can also scan chassis codes. They are not standard codes but are specific to each manufacturer.

When the Corvette's braking ECM died, my scanner told me almost nothing (the dash info center told me more!). The indie shop had the GM scanner, and in less than two minutes told me exactly what was wrong.

it is as cold outside... Keyser Söze General 3 February 16th 15 06:15 PM
Something we can do in the cold Frogwatch General 21 January 6th 10 12:46 PM
If it's too cold to sail .... Vito ASA 9 January 27th 04 05:52 PM
So long cold SAIL LOCO ASA 37 January 23rd 04 06:49 PM