Default Towing golf car

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 11:13:14 -0500, wrote:

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 09:50:51 -0500, John H
wrote:

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 09:41:25 -0500 (EST), justan wrote:

John H Wrote in message:
On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 20:10:44 -0500 (EST), justan wrote:

Wrote in message:
On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 15:37:39 -0500 (EST), justan wrote:

I put together a 1720 lb rated Harbor Freight folding trailer.
Approx 300 lbs
On it, I have a 1050 lb golf car.
Tongue weight is 108 lbs with the car as far forward as I can get it.
Some say the tongue weight should be 10 to 15 % of total. Others
say 5 to 10 %.
Let's hear your opinions on the subject.

===

Towing a 7200 lb boat and trailer with my pickup truck, I found that
700 or 800 lb tongue weight was about right. I also increased
pressure on the rear truck tires about 5 lbs to stiffen up the side
walls. If you're towing with your big RV, that should be more stable
than a pickup truck. What I did when setting up was to take it out on
the highway and slowly increase speed. With an RV you might want to
have someone following unless you have a good rear facing camera.

I'd also recommend carrying one or two spare trailer tires.

---
http://www.avg.com

I'm going to try towing with the car first. I do have one spare.

Don't worry about spares. If a trailer tire blows, just hop in the golf cart and get to the nearest
gas station! :)

Good thought. I wouldn't even have to detach the trailer from the car.

Depending on the height of the trailer, you may not even need a ramp.

Sometimes I'm just pretty damn ingenious!

Just back down into a swale and you can directly load into most trucks
and trailers. A Club Car will fit in a standard full size pickup. I
assume most are the same size. You are best backing them in tho
because they are heavier in the back and it gets the weight centered
better. We hauled ours around in "Brownie" our old F150.

Backing down a swale with a blown tire may be a bit difficult.

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 14:00:22 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 12/13/2017 1:53 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 13:20:38 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

Towing a trailer with a load on it? The max speed while towing in
Florida is 65 mph.

There are no signs saying that.

Don't feel bad. In Massachusetts the max legal towing speed is 55 mph.
65 mph in FL is listed in several online sources in addition to this one:

http://www.hitchemup.com/statetowinglaws.htm

I am not sure I have ever seen that enforced. Would that include semi
trailers? If so it is definitely ignored. There are semis going 80
every day on I-70 and 70 on the 2 lane blacktops (with 60 MPH limits).
I also see plenty of regular trailers going over 70 on the interstate
without much attention from the cops. I also believe the counties
around me are "tags optional" since I see trailers without one a lot
and occasionally cars and trucks. When I said something to the part
time cop who worked for IBM he just laughed and said it was not
something they were told to "police". He did get a kick out of the
"tags optional" line tho and said he would start using it. He also
liked "speeder maid" to describe state troopers. Evidently there is a
bit of animosity between them and the deputies. He was an aux deputy
(but "sworn") at the Charlotte sheriff department and was the senior
officer there. (as a volunteer). None of the full time had more years
on the force. The newly elected sheriffs tend to clean house when they
take over and there was a lot of churn in Charlotte county.

Your state DMV laws may be loosely enforced but they still *are* laws.
Florida technically requires tags and insurance on trailers as well.

Trailers are not titled, you are supposed to have a tag but there is
no insurance requirement according to my tag renewals. Same with a
boat.
Perhaps they may require insurance over a certain weight, maybe after
brakes are required but Mine is pretty light as boats and trailers go.

When I travel down a turnpike or divided highway I am not as concerned
about big semi-trailer trucks being driven by professional drivers. I
am far more wary of the weekend warrior heading down to the Cape, towing
his boat with a Jeep Cherokee or something and doing 70-80 mph. Those
are the ones most likely to lose control and end up killing someone.

Life is a terminal condition. At this point dying in a horrible car
crash may be preferable to what I see afflicting my neighbors

On 12/13/2017 3:19 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 14:00:22 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

When we left Florida for the last time I had a dilemma. I had two
Harleys down there, an Ultra Classic and a Softail. My options were to
ship them, sell them or haul them. I ended up buying an enclosed
trailer made by "Iron Horse Trailers". In fact, the dealer where I
picked it up wasn't far from where you are. It was my first drive over
to the West Coast of FL via "Alligator Alley".

Anyway, it required a title and a tag. At that time Florida issued a
temporary paper tag, good for 30 days. I loaded it up and left within
that time frame, so I never applied for a permanent tag. When I got to
MA my son wanted it, so I gave it to him. Trailer was kinda cool
looking. Similar to these images:

http://www.ironhorsetrailers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/towing-a-ironhorse-trailer.jpg/

http://www.ironhorsetrailers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/wing-and-bike-trailer.jpg

I know someone who might like something like this for his golf cart car:

http://www.ironhorsetrailers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/motorhome-trailers.jpg

When I travel down a turnpike or divided highway I am not as concerned
about big semi-trailer trucks being driven by professional drivers. I
am far more wary of the weekend warrior heading down to the Cape, towing
his boat with a Jeep Cherokee or something and doing 70-80 mph. Those
are the ones most likely to lose control and end up killing someone.

Life is a terminal condition. At this point dying in a horrible car
crash may be preferable to what I see afflicting my neighbors

On 12/13/2017 5:05 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:

Anyway, it required a title and a tag.Â* At that time Florida issued a
temporary paper tag, good for 30 days.Â* I loaded it up and left within
that time frame, so I never applied for a permanent tag.Â* When I got to
MA my son wanted it, so I gave it to him.Â* Trailer was kinda cool
looking.Â* Similar to these images:

http://www.ironhorsetrailers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/towing-a-ironhorse-trailer.jpg/

http://www.ironhorsetrailers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/wing-and-bike-trailer.jpg

I know someone who might like something like this for his golf cart car:

http://www.ironhorsetrailers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/motorhome-trailers.jpg

Whoops. First link doesn't work. Try this instead:

On Wednesday, 13 December 2017 18:53:37 UTC-4, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 12/13/2017 5:05 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:

Anyway, it required a title and a tag.Â* At that time Florida issued a
temporary paper tag, good for 30 days.Â* I loaded it up and left within
that time frame, so I never applied for a permanent tag.Â* When I got to
MA my son wanted it, so I gave it to him.Â* Trailer was kinda cool
looking.Â* Similar to these images:

http://www.ironhorsetrailers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/towing-a-ironhorse-trailer.jpg/

http://www.ironhorsetrailers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/wing-and-bike-trailer.jpg

I know someone who might like something like this for his golf cart car:

http://www.ironhorsetrailers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/motorhome-trailers.jpg

Whoops. First link doesn't work. Try this instead:

http://www.ironhorsetrailers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/towing-a-ironhorse-trailer.jpg

Our trailers have to be licensed...which needs to be renewed each year at $40.00 + HST = #46.00
We also have to have then safety checked every two years. Until a few years ago it was a yearly inspection.

I tow at the sensible speed of 90km but sometimes creep up to 100km on the 100 series highways.

wrote:

[...]

It appears that there is no law in Florida about trailer speed. I went
through the statutes and several different "trailer" sites with mixed
results. I think the confusion is the basic speed law here is the max
speed limit is 65MPH (for everything) but if it is an interstate or
other limited access divided highway, they bump that up to 70 in
another statute. Trailers are not mentioned in either of these
statutes and I have never seen a sign about trailer speed, truck speed
either. They do have truck lane restrictions tho.

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 15:03:49 -0500, John H
wrote:

Backing down a swale with a blown tire may be a bit difficult.

Why? It will thump a might but you should be able to do it. You never
drove on a flat? My sister drove about 6 miles on a blown tire but
when she got home the tire was pretty much gone. It came off the rim
and rolled up into a neighbor's yard when she turned down her street.
For the last block there were just 2 grooves in the road from the rim.

On 12/13/2017 8:19 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 14:00:22 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Thinking about it, I can see where you are coming from. I looked for
"towing max speed laws" and the results come back with 65 mph for
Florida and 70 mph where posted. If that's the same as for all vehicles
then I can see your point. I'd still get nervous being passed by
someone hauling a boat at 80 mph though. :-)

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 17:05:26 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

I know someone who might like something like this for his golf cart car:

http://www.ironhorsetrailers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/motorhome-trailers.jpg

You pretty much need a 4x8 spot for a cart and my club car fits in a
full sized F150 with the tail gate up.
I am curious about the weight Justan was talking about. I bet mine is
less than that (36v with 6 batteries). Other than the motor/transxle
itself, the rest is all aluminum angle and fiberglass.

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 20:34:38 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

It appears that there is no law in Florida about trailer speed. I went
through the statutes and several different "trailer" sites with mixed
results. I think the confusion is the basic speed law here is the max
speed limit is 65MPH (for everything) but if it is an interstate or
other limited access divided highway, they bump that up to 70 in
another statute. Trailers are not mentioned in either of these
statutes and I have never seen a sign about trailer speed, truck speed
either. They do have truck lane restrictions tho.

Thinking about it, I can see where you are coming from. I looked for
"towing max speed laws" and the results come back with 65 mph for
Florida and 70 mph where posted. If that's the same as for all vehicles
then I can see your point. I'd still get nervous being passed by
someone hauling a boat at 80 mph though. :-)

Well speed up and I won't have to pass you ;-)

On golf... Poco Deplorevole General 5 February 23rd 17 04:46 AM
New golf hat... John H[_2_] General 2 August 21st 13 09:04 PM
Why I play golf John H[_2_] General 31 June 11th 11 02:10 AM
Golf Humor John H.[_6_] General 0 August 21st 08 01:13 AM
Golf... Short Wave Sportfishing General 23 February 29th 08 01:30 AM