Default Towing golf car

John H Wrote in message:
On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 20:10:44 -0500 (EST), justan wrote:

Wrote in message:
On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 15:37:39 -0500 (EST), justan wrote:

I put together a 1720 lb rated Harbor Freight folding trailer.
Approx 300 lbs
On it, I have a 1050 lb golf car.
Tongue weight is 108 lbs with the car as far forward as I can get it.
Some say the tongue weight should be 10 to 15 % of total. Others
say 5 to 10 %.
Let's hear your opinions on the subject.

===

Towing a 7200 lb boat and trailer with my pickup truck, I found that
700 or 800 lb tongue weight was about right. I also increased
pressure on the rear truck tires about 5 lbs to stiffen up the side
walls. If you're towing with your big RV, that should be more stable
than a pickup truck. What I did when setting up was to take it out on
the highway and slowly increase speed. With an RV you might want to
have someone following unless you have a good rear facing camera.

I'd also recommend carrying one or two spare trailer tires.

---
http://www.avg.com

I'm going to try towing with the car first. I do have one spare.

Don't worry about spares. If a trailer tire blows, just hop in the golf cart and get to the nearest
gas station! :)

Good thought. I wouldn't even have to detach the trailer from the car.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

"Mr. Luddite" Wrote in message:
On 12/13/2017 7:40 AM, John H wrote:
On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 05:22:13 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 12/13/2017 1:18 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 15:37:39 -0500 (EST), justan wrote:

I put together a 1720 lb rated Harbor Freight folding trailer.
Approx 300 lbs
On it, I have a 1050 lb golf car.
Tongue weight is 108 lbs with the car as far forward as I can get it.
Some say the tongue weight should be 10 to 15 % of total. Others
say 5 to 10 %.
Let's hear your opinions on the subject.

I would give it a shot. Short trailers have the sway problem worse
than long ones in my experience tho.
The tongue weight on my pontoon is less than 100 pounds and it tows
straight as an arrow at speeds up to 80 or so.
The tongue load may be more on the road tho since it loads with the
deck down at around 8-10 degrees so I imagine that may give me down
force at speed.

How far are you towing it and at what speeds? A surface road speed
you should not have any trouble at all.

Ummmm.... Greg ... just my opinion here but I think anyone pulling a
trailer loaded with a boat of any type doing "80 or so" shouldn't be
allowed on the road regardless of how skillful they think they are.

I can't imagine small trailer tires being rated for 80 or so. The ones on my RV are rated at 65.

Very true. Worse, it seems like the factory tires on small trailers are
usually 2 ply, cheap and prone to blowouts if used beyond their ratings.
I was pleased to see that the previous owner of the little camper I
bought last summer had replaced the original tires with Michelin 4 ply
tires with a 6 ply rating. Most important thing is to make sure they
are properly inflated. Not a guarantee against failure but more peace
of mind when cruising down the highway doing 80 mph or so. :-)

Many states have a reduced speed limit when towing.
I replaced the Goodyears on my steer axle with Michelins when they
became unserviceable after only 20,000 miles. Michilins are doing
fine after 10,000 miles.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Wrote in message:
[...]

Depending on the height of the trailer, you may not even need a ramp.

Sometimes I'm just pretty damn ingenious!

Wrote in message:
[...]

You are. But I can't even envision that scenario. ;-)

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

On 12/13/2017 1:18 AM, wrote:
[...]

Here's my peace of mind:

https://eezrvproduct.com/products/ti...systems-tpms-4

Absolutely love it.

Do you get quick notification with that system in case of a
blowout or a flat?
Those systems sometimes give you good information. Sometimes not.
Like when making a long desent down a mountain.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

On 12/13/2017 1:18 AM, wrote:
[...]

Yes, a catastrophic loss of pressure makes an immediate audible and visual warning. The audible
warning is loud...even I can hear it.

You set your own warning limits for over- and under-pressure. I've set mine for 10% under-pressure
and 20% over pressure.

On 12/13/2017 1:18 AM, wrote:
[...]

Dunno but what the hell. If I had a problem I would not have hurt
anyone but me. At 2 AM the interstate (Alligator Alley) was pretty
much deserted. If it means anything I am about half the load rating of
the tires.

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 09:47:56 -0500 (EST), justan wrote:

Many states have a reduced speed limit when towing.

It is the same as a car here.

Wrote in message:
[...]

Just back down into a swale and you can directly load into most trucks
and trailers. A Club Car will fit in a standard full size pickup. I
assume most are the same size. You are best backing them in tho
because they are heavier in the back and it gets the weight centered
better. We hauled ours around in "Brownie" our old F150.

On golf... Poco Deplorevole General 5 February 23rd 17 04:46 AM
New golf hat... John H[_2_] General 2 August 21st 13 09:04 PM
Why I play golf John H[_2_] General 31 June 11th 11 02:10 AM
Golf Humor John H.[_6_] General 0 August 21st 08 01:13 AM
Golf... Short Wave Sportfishing General 23 February 29th 08 01:30 AM