Default Another misdirected student!

Just received this in a Facebook message from Nehemias:

Hello Mr. Herring,

You may or may not remember me. I was your 8th grade algebra student for the 1994-1995 schoolyear.
I looked you up because I have been wanting to express my gratitude. That year, I started falling
behind in my assignments. You became concerned for my progress and phoned my mother. You told her
that for you, my learning the material was more important than a grade. And, you gave me the
opportunity to make up every bit of homework I’d missed just so I could learn the important
fundamentals of Algebra.
That was really a turning point in my math education. I’m pleased to tell you that I graduated
from the University of Maryland with a Civil Engineering degree in 2005. I’ve been a practicing
structural engineer ever since, and I’ve currently been promoted to a project manager at a local
consulting firm. I sincerely believe that I wouldn’t be an engineer if it weren’t for you. I’m
happily married with two rambunctious boys and live in Gaithersburg, MD. Mr. Herring, again, I
wanted to thank you for being a great educator who made a difference in my life. I hope you are
enjoying retirement.
Respectfully,
Nehemias Iglesias
P.S.
To this day, I still remember you voice saying all algebraic statements begin with the word “Let”

Yeah, it made the eyes water!

On Sat, 02 Dec 2017 13:47:36 -0500, John H
wrote:

[...]

===

Nice!

---
http://www.avg.com

On Saturday, 2 December 2017 14:47:35 UTC-4, John H wrote:
[...]

To this day, I still remember you voice saying all algebraic statements begin with the word “Letâ€

Yeah, it made the eyes water!

Uh huh!
Who did y'all pay to write that?

On 12/2/2017 1:47 PM, John H wrote:
[...]

Awesome! Worth more than all the $$ in the world.
Congrats!

True North Wrote in message:
[...]

If you had been Johns student you might have turned out better.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

On Sat, 2 Dec 2017 13:55:26 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

[...]

Exactly the way I felt. Didn't remember him until I saw his picture. He was a great kid, but had a
bit of a hard time getting started.

wrote:

Just received this in a Facebook message from Nehemias:

Hello Mr. Herring,

You may or may not remember me. I was your 8th grade algebra student for the 1994-1995 schoolyear.
I looked you up because I have been wanting to express my gratitude.

Cool.
BTW why do army guys end up teaching algebra? My Algebra and Geometry
(plane and solid) was a retired Army colonel. He was West Point in
Robert E Lee's class we think (at least that was the joke) ;-)
The reality was he was 55-60 but when you are 14 that seems ancient.
Most of our teachers were grad students at one of the downtown
universities or recent graduates.

On 12/2/2017 2:39 PM, John H wrote:
[...]

I know the feeling well. Math always came hard for me for some reason
which was a major problem in my chosen occupation.

wrote:

Just received this in a Facebook message from Nehemias:

Hello Mr. Herring,

You may or may not remember me. I was your 8th grade algebra student for the 1994-1995 schoolyear.
I looked you up because I have been wanting to express my gratitude.

Cool.
BTW why do army guys end up teaching algebra? My Algebra and Geometry
(plane and solid) was a retired Army colonel. He was West Point in
Robert E Lee's class we think (at least that was the joke) ;-)
The reality was he was 55-60 but when you are 14 that seems ancient.
Most of our teachers were grad students at one of the downtown
universities or recent graduates.

After graduating from college, for which the Army paid my way (I was a captain then, just back from
Vietnam), I was assigned to a 'utilization' tour. My degree was in math, and the assignment was to
teach math at the US Military Academy Prep School, which was at Ft. Belvoir at the time. I spent two
years teaching various math subjects, mostly Algebra and Geometry, to prospective West Pioint
cadets. I really fell in love with teaching while doing that. Decided that's what I wanted to do
when I retired. Although offered some 'beltway bandit' jobs, I went to GW and got my teaching
credentials. So, that's how I came to be a math teacher.

On Sat, 2 Dec 2017 15:26:37 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

Exactly the way I felt. Didn't remember him until I saw his picture. He was a great kid, but had a
bit of a hard time getting started.

I know the feeling well. Math always came hard for me for some reason
which was a major problem in my chosen occupation.

I always had trouble with algebra but geometry always made perfect
sense to me. I suppose that is why I took 2 geometry credits, one trig
and only one algebra.

As a student of politics... HK General 122 May 2nd 08 12:53 AM
student loan Iamstudent General 1 January 13th 07 01:07 AM
"Student sailors take to the sea" [email protected] General 0 August 29th 05 03:24 PM
Student rode out tsunami in kayak Tom UK Paddle 1 April 7th 05 05:53 PM