Tom

Default Student rode out tsunami in kayak

For interest

http://www.indystar.com/articles/8/234372-9288-102.html

Tom

"Tom" wrote in message
For interest

http://www.indystar.com/articles/8/234372-9288-102.html

Here is the full text - found the link on www.paddling.net

IU student rode out tsunami in kayak

Associated Press
April 4, 2005

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- An Indiana University student kayaking off the coast of
Thailand survived December's deadly tsunami by paddling into deep waters,
where she watched giant waves smash the shoreline.

Camille Kandiko, 23, said recent reports of more earthquakes and potential
for tsunamis reminded her of her brush with death.

Kandiko said she and her aunt owe their lives to her uncle, who made the
quick decision to lead the three kayakers far offshore after he noticed the
ocean's shimmering blue waters receding.

"I was thinking the last thing we want is to be in the middle of the ocean,"
she told The Herald-Times for a Monday story.

"I listened to him and paddled out to deep water, but the whole time I was
thinking, 'We shouldn't be doing this."'

The trio made it several hundred yards off the coast when the first waves
struck on Dec. 26. From the ocean, they watched a 15-foot wave sweep over
the beach and onshore, uprooting giant palm trees.

When they finally reached shore, they had to run to high ground to avoid
another rush of water, and finally moved farther inland.

The next day, they paddled out to a passing yacht. The yacht's owners had
Internet access and allowed Kandiko to e-mail her parents to let them know
she was alive.

The Minnesota native, who is an IU doctoral student in higher education
administration, arrived in Thailand over her Christmas break on her first
trip outside the United States. She flew into Chicago Jan. 3 and was greeted
by her relieved family.

Attached Images
File Type: gif clear.gif (43 Bytes, 46 views)
File Type: gif hdivider_490.gif (183 Bytes, 51 views)