Default Yo Bill...to take the heat off

True North Wrote in message:
On Monday, 18 September 2017 16:07:14 UTC-3, justan wrote:
Keyser Soze Wrote in message:
On 9/18/17 2:29 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:

John H Wrote in message:

To get on the house roof I don't need a ladder. Can climb out a
bedroom window and then have access to entire roof with a step stool.

I don't do house roofs either. If I get four feet from the edge, severe
vertigo sets in. :-)

I remember the time I spent in Thunder Bay, Ontario, one week. Really,
really, really cold. And I saw crews shoveling snow off the roofs of
houses. Was told the home insurance companies paid for those crews
because it was a lot cheaper than replacing roofs that collapsed from
the 4' or more of snow load on them.

There was four to five feet of snow on the ground, too, so I guess if
the guys on the roofs fell off, they're be more likely to suffocate in a
snow bank than get seriously injured in a fall.

Amazingly, one night I was there when it snowed at least a foot, and the
next morning, early, the union rep from the local arrived on time to
pick me up. The streets had already been cleared. The snowbanks along
the curbs were huge.

I drove a rental to Thunder Bay once. Did what I had to do, and
got out. Kanada in the winter is for the birds.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

As I've said many times, Justine...it's no country for girliemen!

Yet Donella won't leave. I have a few friends whose Scottish
ancesters come to America via Nova Skosha. Would you call them
girly men?

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

John H Wrote in message:

[...]

You've certainly lived an exciting life.

On 9/18/2017 3:14 PM, John H wrote:
On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 14:29:22 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

John H Wrote in message:

To get on the house roof I don't need a ladder. Can climb out a
bedroom window and then have access to entire roof with a step stool.

I don't do house roofs either. If I get four feet from the edge, severe
vertigo sets in. :-)

I'll bet it's not vertigo. Most likely it's illyngophobia. I'll let you look it up. I realized I
sufferred from same when I took a motorcycle ride in the French Alps when I was about 63. It also
kicks in in places like the Grand Canyon, Canyonlands, anywhere there is a drop...including the high
part of my roof. I'm OK if I get on my butt and inch my way to the edge.

Sounds like what I experience. One of the Florida houses had a two
story high main living room with an overhead fan mounted from the
ceiling. The blades where dirty and I borrowed my neighbor's super high
step ladder figuring I'd climb up an clean them. When I got to where I
could reach the fan blades an overwhelming feeling of dizziness and
nauseousness overcame me and I had to clutch the ladder and close my
eyes otherwise I felt I would pass out and fall. It has happened on
ladders of lesser height as well, even last year when cleaning the
gutters and I was only 3/4 of the way up on a 12 foot stepladder.

It's weird because I've flown small airplanes and even a helicopter with
a big, 360 degree view bubble for a windshield. Never bothers me, even
practicing stalls and having the airplane start to fall out of the sky.
But a 12 foot ladder? No freakin' way.

John H Wrote in message:

[...]

You think spending a business week in the height of winter in a small
city in Canada is exciting, eh? I was impressed by the great number of
Native American place names in the area, though I don't remember any of
them. Oh, and a Finnish restaurant where we had some interesting meals.

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 14:53:08 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

Amazingly, one night I was there when it snowed at least a foot, and the
next morning, early, the union rep from the local arrived on time to
pick me up. The streets had already been cleared. The snowbanks along
the curbs were huge.

===

That happens routinely in the "Lake Effect Snow Belts" on the south
side of Lake Ontario and Lake Erie. Even small towns budget millions
for snow removal.

---
http://www.avg.com

John H Wrote in message:

[...]

New an airline pilot years ago who was afraid of heights. Said the
airplane did not bother him.

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 15:29:44 -0400, John H
wrote:

I did that in the pool once and it took a year to get over it

Did you bust the heel bone (calcaneus)? The ER doc said surgery with screws and plates. I'm hoping
she was exaggerating. But, the more I read about it, the less I like it!

I was afraid that was what it was but it was just a severely smashed
planar tendon. They talked about doing a lot of stuff but I just wore
cross trainers for about a year instead of my boat shoes and it got
better. I still get a twinge now and then but I am basically OK.

John H Wrote in message:

[...]

I don't seem to have the problem. I can just forget I am 15 feet in
the air and do my job. I am pretty careful setting up my ladder and I
usually have a bail out plan (something I can grab, a soft place to
land or something) The trick ends up turning a fall into a jump if you
know you are going down and hope for the best.

John H Wrote in message:

[...]

I doubt all the preparedness in the world would prevent the feeling I
get on a ladder or on a roof, especially near the edge. I've been told
it's really an anxiety attack. I've tried the mind over matter thing,
willing myself not to freak out but when it hits all you can do is wrap
your arms around the ladder and close your eyes until it passes.

wrote:

Amazingly, one night I was there when it snowed at least a foot, and the
next morning, early, the union rep from the local arrived on time to
pick me up. The streets had already been cleared. The snowbanks along
the curbs were huge.

===

That happens routinely in the "Lake Effect Snow Belts" on the south
side of Lake Ontario and Lake Erie. Even small towns budget millions
for snow removal.

---
http://www.avg.com

I've spent a total of months in Canada on projects over the years. Never
saw snow like they get in Rochester, New York though. One of my longest
day trips to the University of Rochester lasted over a week. Snow
started and I couldn't get out.

Where's The Heat? Red Cruising 8 March 22nd 08 05:11 AM
Heat/NE Thom Stewart ASA 3 July 17th 06 04:15 PM
Boat Heat Matt General 1 March 5th 05 03:10 PM
"When the heat got on..." NOYB General 255 January 20th 05 06:24 PM
Let there be heat! Gould 0738 General 4 November 29th 04 01:41 AM