Default Yo Bill...to take the heat off

On 9/18/17 2:29 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:

John H Wrote in message:

*To get on the house roof I don't need a ladder. Can climb out a
bedroom window and then have access to entire roof with a step stool.

I don't do house roofs either.* If I get four feet from the edge, severe
vertigo sets in.** :-)

I remember the time I spent in Thunder Bay, Ontario, one week. Really,
really, really cold. And I saw crews shoveling snow off the roofs of
houses. Was told the home insurance companies paid for those crews
because it was a lot cheaper than replacing roofs that collapsed from
the 4' or more of snow load on them.

There was four to five feet of snow on the ground, too, so I guess if
the guys on the roofs fell off, they're be more likely to suffocate in a
snow bank than get seriously injured in a fall.

Amazingly, one night I was there when it snowed at least a foot, and the
next morning, early, the union rep from the local arrived on time to
pick me up. The streets had already been cleared. The snowbanks along
the curbs were huge.

John H Wrote in message:

[...]

I drove a rental to Thunder Bay once. Did what I had to do, and
got out. Kanada in the winter is for the birds.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 13:29:58 -0400 (EDT), justan wrote:

John H Wrote in message:
On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 11:29:32 -0400 (EDT), justan wrote:

John H Wrote in message:
On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 17:15:10 -0400 (EDT), justan wrote:

"Mr. Luddite" Wrote in message:
On 9/17/2017 12:24 PM, Bill wrote:
True North wrote:
On Sunday, 17 September 2017 09:50:07 UTC-3, John H wrote:
This should detract Harry and Donnee from their 'falling from a roof' lies about you.

Friday I leaned a ladder against the trailer, with not nearly enough
lean. Got up to the top,
started to sweep debris off the roof of the bedroom slide, and the
ladder slipped. Down I went,
landing squarely on my right heel on the concrete driveway. Crawled up
the driveway and into the
house to call 911. ER doc says heel bone (calcaneus) is 'shattered' and
will require surgery.

And all I'd had to drink was coffee!

Say what?
Anyone with a lick of sense knows that you place the ladder feet 1 foot
out for every 4 feet high.

I had my smaller 20' extension ladder up against a tree yesterday with
the feet on soft dirt. Needed to replace a snapped clothes line.
No problem.

The ladder should be tied off. Not depending on lean. Especially on dirt,
where the ladder can sink in at a differential rate between the two legs.

70 something year-olds don't belong on ladders. Period. :-)

I am not quite 70 yet but I get dizzy on the second rung.

I got my ladder out and set it up to survey the roof a couple of
days ago. Chickened out and put the ladder away. I did the survey
with the drone instead. Much safer.

You've got a fiberglass roof, right? Mine is EPMD. I like the drone idea, but it would take a long
time to check all the seams on the EPMD roof. Being up on the roof isn't bad. It's not slippery.

I was talking about the house roof John. Getting on the RV roof is
pretty easy but I'm careful about it.
What seams are you talking about?

The EPMD roof is full of seams which are covered with a self-levelling caulk. Sides, front, rear,
any openings (AC, vents, antenna, etc.) - anywhere the rubber roof meets a different material. The
caulk can dry and shrink and then leak. Or, the rubber can be holed by tree branch. I crawl over the
whole thing at least twice a year. To get on the house roof I don't need a ladder. Can climb out a
bedroom window and then have access to entire roof with a step stool.

Oh. I was thinking your roof might not have been made with a
single sheet of material. Mine has lap sealant anywhere there is
a roof penetration, same as yours. I overlay sealant once or
twice a year anywhere I see it cracking.

True North wrote:
[...]

Lap sealant. That's it. Couldn't think of the name.

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 12:54:45 -0400, John H
wrote:

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 12:00:39 -0400, wrote:

I have been doing Flying Wallenda tricks on a ladder the last few
days, rolling in new screen panels. Where are the screen monkeys when
you need one? ;-)

Don't fall on concrete and land on one heel!

I did that in the pool once and it took a year to get over it

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 14:29:22 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

John H Wrote in message:

To get on the house roof I don't need a ladder. Can climb out a
bedroom window and then have access to entire roof with a step stool.

I don't do house roofs either. If I get four feet from the edge, severe
vertigo sets in. :-)

I'll bet it's not vertigo. Most likely it's illyngophobia. I'll let you look it up. I realized I
sufferred from same when I took a motorcycle ride in the French Alps when I was about 63. It also
kicks in in places like the Grand Canyon, Canyonlands, anywhere there is a drop...including the high
part of my roof. I'm OK if I get on my butt and inch my way to the edge.

[...]

Those union guys are simply the best!

John H Wrote in message:

[...]

I would have preferred to be there in the summer for fishing. Still,
there were guys out there ice fishing. Too cold for me. I was there
representing an international union in the amalgamation of several
locals, and there were four days of meetings. Got a nice feature story
on another aspect of the trip, though. That was a lot less boring.

John H Wrote in message:

[...]

As I've said many times, Justine...it's no country for girliemen!

Where's The Heat? Red Cruising 8 March 22nd 08 05:11 AM
Heat/NE Thom Stewart ASA 3 July 17th 06 04:15 PM
Boat Heat Matt General 1 March 5th 05 03:10 PM
"When the heat got on..." NOYB General 255 January 20th 05 06:24 PM
Let there be heat! Gould 0738 General 4 November 29th 04 01:41 AM