Default MAN-UP ROOKIE RV-er

On Tue, 27 Jun 2017 08:56:51 -0700 (PDT), Its Me wrote:

On Tuesday, June 27, 2017 at 11:18:58 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tue, 27 Jun 2017 05:56:43 -0400, Poco Deplorevole
wrote:

At the bigger places, that's generally true. I once went inside to ask where the diesel pump was.
Answer, "Oh, it's around back."

Most definitely wouldn't try to take a 33' trailer 'around back'.

Not without looking anyway. ;-)
I have been in some tough spots towing my pontoon, behind a stretch
E-150.
Haven't had to unhook it and take another swing at it tho.

A few years ago we had a 25' Winnebago, and I towed my wife's car with it on a tow dolly a few times. There's no backing up with a tow dolly, at least not for more than a few feet. One time I made a wrong turn, got into a tight spot, and had to unstrap and unload the car, get the rig turned around, and load everything back up. What a pain.

Having to pull a toad is the main reason I won't consider a motorhome.

wrote:

At the bigger places, that's generally true. I once went inside to ask where the diesel pump was.
Answer, "Oh, it's around back."

Most definitely wouldn't try to take a 33' trailer 'around back'.

Not without looking anyway. ;-)
I have been in some tough spots towing my pontoon, behind a stretch
E-150.
Haven't had to unhook it and take another swing at it tho.

A few years ago we had a 25' Winnebago, and I towed my wife's car with it on a tow dolly a few times. There's no backing up with a tow dolly, at least not for more than a few feet. One time I made a wrong turn, got into a tight spot, and had to unstrap and unload the car, get the rig turned around, and load everything back up. What a pain.

I bet if you had a camera on the RV that watched the car, you could
learn how to do it

That would take a lot of practice. Trying to back up something with a
much shorter wheel base than the towing vehicle is tricky. Conversely,
the other way around, like backing up a 53' semi trailer is relatively easy.

Even backing a little lawn trailer with a lawn tractor takes some practice.

---
http://www.avg.com

Might try it with the whole car on a trailer, but not with a dolly.

wrote:

[...]

It is just practice tho. Short things respond to small inputs faster
but it is still the same geometry.

wrote:

[...]

Once rented a firewood splitter that was on it's own trailer. Went a couple of feet past the tricky entrance of the Tool Rental place and smashed out a taillight trying to back up the stubby little trailer that was too low to see.

wrote:

[...]

Never back without a guide something you can't see.

And, speaking of seeing, you must not have seen this:

On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 09:21:03 -0400, Keyser Soze wrote:

Those are figurative comments, Timmy, not literal comments. Besides,
shouldn't you be at church, helping the other elders poison the minds of
the younger generations with religious bull****?

All that religious bull**** you guys peddle and aim at kids ought to be
labeled for what it is...child abuse.

I can't wait to see Donnie's, "I whole heartedly agree with this post!"

Lack of principle, Donnie, or just too cowardly to stick up for your beliefs?

wrote:

[...]

Naw. The problem, even flat tow, is the wheels of the car or dolly want to
turn independently. Flat tow, the wheels go hard right or left and pretty
much make like you are sliding wheels. Worse than old farm wagons ever
thought of.

wrote:

[...]

Never towed a dolly so I defer to you guys on that.

wrote:

[...]

I've seen farmers who could back up *two* of those damn wagons loaded with hay and get it done with
very little fuss. Just backing one was hard enough for me, 'course I was only a kid.

On Tue, 27 Jun 2017 15:04:45 -0400, John H
wrote:

I've seen farmers who could back up *two* of those damn wagons loaded with hay and get it done with
very little fuss. Just backing one was hard enough for me, 'course I was only a kid.

I was always impressed watching guys backing up double bottom semis.
They can get the back one up to the dock, then unhook and put the
front one in the next bay with minimal lost motion.

wrote:

At the bigger places, that's generally true. I once went inside to ask where the diesel pump was.
Answer, "Oh, it's around back."

Most definitely wouldn't try to take a 33' trailer 'around back'.

Not without looking anyway. ;-)
I have been in some tough spots towing my pontoon, behind a stretch
E-150.
Haven't had to unhook it and take another swing at it tho.

A few years ago we had a 25' Winnebago, and I towed my wife's car with it on a tow dolly a few times. There's no backing up with a tow dolly, at least not for more than a few feet. One time I made a wrong turn, got into a tight spot, and had to unstrap and unload the car, get the rig turned around, and load everything back up. What a pain.

Having to pull a toad is the main reason I won't consider a motorhome.

Well, it's either that or having a big tow vehicle that you end up driving even when you don't need it for towing. Pick your poison. Unlike the dolly, you can back the toad up.