Default MAN-UP ROOKIE RV-er

Husband--I'm gonna fill up before we hook up

Wife--can we stop at Valero? I like their coffee

Husband--Nope, going to Flying J because I'm a Good Sam Card Carrying American and we are driving a
diesel big rig baby..and the J is a diesel truck stop and we're gonna save us 8-cents a gallon..So
Sorry Baby, you're gonna have to drink trucker coffee. And you might as well get used to it now that
we are RV-er's and driving a diesel!!!

Wife-- OK

Husband--Pumping pure man diesel; sniffing fumes; watching 18-wheelers drive in; admiring brand
spanking new first ever F250 6.7 Liter diesel monster....fighting urge to pound chest.

Husband--mentally calculating massive fuel savings... $3.41 a gallon less 8-cents is
$3.33....watching the pump read-out as the gallons keep ticking.

Husband--jumps in truck with big grin and tells wife they got 28-gallons and saved a whopping $2.24

Wife--sipping coffee asks...so what was final price?

Husband--$3.33 after our Good Sams discount...hits engine start and listens to diesel fire up....

Wife--sips coffee..looks over and softly says....Valero has diesel for $3.14

Husband--almost injures neck as he whips around to see the Valero sign.

Husband--silent

Wife--silent

Husband--WHOLLY CRAP..how can Flying J be $3.41 a gallon and frigging Valero $3.14???

Husband--silent

Wife--maybe it's a testosterone surcharge.

Husband--silent

Wife--so, how much did we save again???

On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 08:20:16 -0600 (MDT), justan wrote:

Poco Deplorevole Wrote in message:
[...]

Sounds plausable. I paid $2.05at a Valero recently. The only
caveat is that you can always count on being able to manouver
your rig in and out of a Flying J. That's important if you can't
back up while hooked up.

You're right about that. My wife can look up the station and get a satellite view very quickly.
Gives a good idea of the possibilities. I wish they'd all put a flashing green light on the diesel
pump. Very often they're hard as hell to find.

On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 12:03:56 -0400, Poco Deplorevole
wrote:

[...]

===

With a long row of pumps they are usually on one end or the other. Of
course if you're towing it's nice to avoid a lot of maneuvering.

wrote:

[...]

At the bigger places, that's generally true. I once went inside to ask where the diesel pump was.
Answer, "Oh, it's around back."

Most definitely wouldn't try to take a 33' trailer 'around back'.

On Tue, 27 Jun 2017 05:56:43 -0400, Poco Deplorevole
wrote:

At the bigger places, that's generally true. I once went inside to ask where the diesel pump was.
Answer, "Oh, it's around back."

Most definitely wouldn't try to take a 33' trailer 'around back'.

Not without looking anyway. ;-)
I have been in some tough spots towing my pontoon, behind a stretch
E-150.
Haven't had to unhook it and take another swing at it tho.

wrote:

At the bigger places, that's generally true. I once went inside to ask where the diesel pump was.
Answer, "Oh, it's around back."

Most definitely wouldn't try to take a 33' trailer 'around back'.

Not without looking anyway. ;-)
I have been in some tough spots towing my pontoon, behind a stretch
E-150.
Haven't had to unhook it and take another swing at it tho.

A few years ago we had a 25' Winnebago, and I towed my wife's car with it on a tow dolly a few times. There's no backing up with a tow dolly, at least not for more than a few feet. One time I made a wrong turn, got into a tight spot, and had to unstrap and unload the car, get the rig turned around, and load everything back up. What a pain.

wrote:

At the bigger places, that's generally true. I once went inside to ask where the diesel pump was.
Answer, "Oh, it's around back."

Most definitely wouldn't try to take a 33' trailer 'around back'.

Not without looking anyway. ;-)
I have been in some tough spots towing my pontoon, behind a stretch
E-150.
Haven't had to unhook it and take another swing at it tho.

A few years ago we had a 25' Winnebago, and I towed my wife's car with it on a tow dolly a few times. There's no backing up with a tow dolly, at least not for more than a few feet. One time I made a wrong turn, got into a tight spot, and had to unstrap and unload the car, get the rig turned around, and load everything back up. What a pain.

I bet if you had a camera on the RV that watched the car, you could
learn how to do it

wrote:

At the bigger places, that's generally true. I once went inside to ask where the diesel pump was.
Answer, "Oh, it's around back."

Most definitely wouldn't try to take a 33' trailer 'around back'.

Not without looking anyway. ;-)
I have been in some tough spots towing my pontoon, behind a stretch
E-150.
Haven't had to unhook it and take another swing at it tho.

A few years ago we had a 25' Winnebago, and I towed my wife's car with it on a tow dolly a few times. There's no backing up with a tow dolly, at least not for more than a few feet. One time I made a wrong turn, got into a tight spot, and had to unstrap and unload the car, get the rig turned around, and load everything back up. What a pain.

I bet if you had a camera on the RV that watched the car, you could
learn how to do it

That would take a lot of practice. Trying to back up something with a
much shorter wheel base than the towing vehicle is tricky. Conversely,
the other way around, like backing up a 53' semi trailer is relatively easy.

Even backing a little lawn trailer with a lawn tractor takes some practice.

---
http://www.avg.com

wrote:

At the bigger places, that's generally true. I once went inside to ask where the diesel pump was.
Answer, "Oh, it's around back."

Most definitely wouldn't try to take a 33' trailer 'around back'.

Not without looking anyway. ;-)
I have been in some tough spots towing my pontoon, behind a stretch
E-150.
Haven't had to unhook it and take another swing at it tho.

A few years ago we had a 25' Winnebago, and I towed my wife's car with it on a tow dolly a few times. There's no backing up with a tow dolly, at least not for more than a few feet. One time I made a wrong turn, got into a tight spot, and had to unstrap and unload the car, get the rig turned around, and load everything back up. What a pain.

I bet if you had a camera on the RV that watched the car, you could
learn how to do it

Since it swivels at the ball hitch and at the plate the front tires sit on, any slight deviation from perfectly straight will jackknife the car and dolly. A pin that locked the plate in place would allow it, but the one I had didn't have one.

That's one of the reasons RV'ers spend a bunch of money so they can tow a vehicle with all four down.