retiredrookie

Default A real rookie with questions

Hi Folks,

This is my first post, and I'm looking for help. I'm retired, know very
little about boats in general, and I'm considering buying a used
pontoon boat for use in a 100 acre lake near the Ohio/Indiana line. The
boat will be used for fishing, and just relaxing with friends and
family. I've never even been on a pontoon, but they look like they will
do the trick for me. I'm aware of the speed issues, but 10 - 20 mph is
enough for us, and I probably won't need to trailer the boat. Could you
give me suggestions on what to look for in a used pontoon boat? Also,
the pros and cons of a pontoon boat would be helpful. All replies are
greatly appreciated. Any helpful websites??

retiredrookie

John H

On 25 Jun 2005 19:50:57 -0700, "retiredrookie"
wrote:

Hi Folks,

This is my first post, and I'm looking for help. I'm retired, know very
little about boats in general, and I'm considering buying a used
pontoon boat for use in a 100 acre lake near the Ohio/Indiana line. The
boat will be used for fishing, and just relaxing with friends and
family. I've never even been on a pontoon, but they look like they will
do the trick for me. I'm aware of the speed issues, but 10 - 20 mph is
enough for us, and I probably won't need to trailer the boat. Could you
give me suggestions on what to look for in a used pontoon boat? Also,
the pros and cons of a pontoon boat would be helpful. All replies are
greatly appreciated. Any helpful websites??

retiredrookie

After hours and hours of research to help you answer your questions, I came up
with: http://www.related-pages.com/pontoonboats/

Most of us aren't 'tooners, but hope you have great luck with yours. The major
think I can remember is, "Don't swim under it when the generator is running!"

If I had one, the first thing I'd do is put a big refrigerator and freezer
aboard. Then I'd stock it with beer and ice cream bars to sell while out on the
water.
--
John H

William Andersen

Go to where you'll be using it and talk with other pontoon boat owners. Ask
them if they would buy the boat they have again. If they wouldn't, ask them
what they'd get instead. you'll get some good ideas of what people like, and
that will help you decide what's important to you.

"retiredrookie" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi Folks,

This is my first post, and I'm looking for help. I'm retired, know very
little about boats in general, and I'm considering buying a used
pontoon boat for use in a 100 acre lake near the Ohio/Indiana line. The
boat will be used for fishing, and just relaxing with friends and
family. I've never even been on a pontoon, but they look like they will
do the trick for me. I'm aware of the speed issues, but 10 - 20 mph is
enough for us, and I probably won't need to trailer the boat. Could you
give me suggestions on what to look for in a used pontoon boat? Also,
the pros and cons of a pontoon boat would be helpful. All replies are
greatly appreciated. Any helpful websites??

retiredrookie

John H

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 21:03:54 GMT, Gene Kearns
wrote:

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 07:22:44 -0400, John H
wrote:

If I had one, the first thing I'd do is put a big refrigerator and freezer
aboard. Then I'd stock it with beer and ice cream bars to sell while out on the
water.

I can NOT, for the life of me, remember exactly where, but the food
network did a piece on ice cream...

There was a company in FL that was based aboard a few small boats that
delivered ice cream much like a nautical "Good Humor" man...

... I thought that was a really neat retirement concept....

We used to go boating on the Potomac and spend a lot of time in Belmont Bay,at
the mouth of Occoquan Creek, at a 'boaters' beach'. On the weekends there would
always be a house boat out there selling beer, ice cream, etc. He was always
mobbed. He'd anchor about 25 yards off shore, and it looked like he was making a
fortune. Now they've turned that area into a state park and made almost
everything illegal (like drinking or picnicking on the beach), so very few
people go there.

But, there are a lot more eagles and deer there!
--
John H

Bert Robbins

wrote:

[...]

Belmot Bay at 6:00 AM on a Saturday or Sunday in the '70's was a great water
ski destination.

John H

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 20:02:26 -0400, "Bert Robbins" wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

It was even better in the mid-80's 'cause the water was cleaner. We had a 15'
Whaler at Fort Belvoir, and Belmont Bay was our destination every Sat and Sun.
Then we went to Germany, returned in '91, and found the place guarded by Park
Police. No beer, no fires, no nothing on the beach. So people quit gathering
there.

Haven't been in several years now, so maybe it's better.
--
John H

retiredrookie

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll check out people on the lake who own
them for ideas. The link was also helpful. Thanks again.