John H

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 20:02:26 -0400, "Bert Robbins" wrote:

"John H" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 21:03:54 GMT, Gene Kearns
wrote:

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 07:22:44 -0400, John H
wrote:

If I had one, the first thing I'd do is put a big refrigerator and
freezer
aboard. Then I'd stock it with beer and ice cream bars to sell while out
on the
water.

I can NOT, for the life of me, remember exactly where, but the food
network did a piece on ice cream...

There was a company in FL that was based aboard a few small boats that
delivered ice cream much like a nautical "Good Humor" man...

... I thought that was a really neat retirement concept....

We used to go boating on the Potomac and spend a lot of time in Belmont
Bay,at
the mouth of Occoquan Creek, at a 'boaters' beach'. On the weekends there
would
always be a house boat out there selling beer, ice cream, etc. He was
always
mobbed. He'd anchor about 25 yards off shore, and it looked like he was
making a
fortune. Now they've turned that area into a state park and made almost
everything illegal (like drinking or picnicking on the beach), so very few
people go there.

But, there are a lot more eagles and deer there!

Belmot Bay at 6:00 AM on a Saturday or Sunday in the '70's was a great water
ski destination.

It was even better in the mid-80's 'cause the water was cleaner. We had a 15'
Whaler at Fort Belvoir, and Belmont Bay was our destination every Sat and Sun.
Then we went to Germany, returned in '91, and found the place guarded by Park
Police. No beer, no fires, no nothing on the beach. So people quit gathering
there.

Haven't been in several years now, so maybe it's better.
--
John H