Default Pathfinder update ... the outcome

This has been quite an experience. First time I've ever gone through
this to this extent.

Received a call from Nissan Customer Service today. The dealership is
in the process of installing a new, factory fresh engine in my car.
They are also offering to extend the normal drive train warranty by an
additional three years and are going to issue me a check (don't know how
much yet ... but was told it was "substantial") for my inconvenience.
Car should be ready in the next couple of days.

I had given this a lot of thought as to whether I would accept this as a
settlement and decided that I would. I like the car. The alternative
is to go to arbitration and/or court. I really didn't want to pursue
that because it takes on an adversarial type of relationship, drags
everything out and it isn't worth it in the end. It's just a car.

The other factor is that I have the Massachusetts Lemon Law in my favor.
Lemon Laws vary state to state but in MA there are two conditions
that apply. The first is three failed attempts to fix a specific
problem within one year or 15,000 miles. That one is common to most states.

The second in MA is this: If your car needs to be in the shop for
warranty repair for a total of 15 business days within the first year
or 15,000 miles the Lemon Law applies. The 15 days need not be
consecutive and the problem/repair requirement can be for any problem
covered by warranty. It doesn't have to be the same problem.

My car has already been in the shop for 18 business days. That means if
I have any future problems at all that requires warranty repair, the
Lemon Law immediately applies and they have to buy it back or replace it.

One thing for sure though. I am going to inspect the car thoroughly,
insist that I drive it for at least a day and ... make sure the heat
works before I accept it.

---
http://www.avg.com

On 6/20/17 5:58 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:

[...]

Make sure they stamp the new engine with the same serial number as the
old engine they are going to trash. Also, was there a final
determination of what went wrong and why?

On 6/20/2017 6:02 PM, Keyser Soze wrote:
[...]

I asked about the engine not being original to the car and what affect,
if any, it may have on future resale value. I was assured that because
the replacement was authorized and provided by the manufacturer it would
have no effect. It won't show up on a Carfax report. So, your guess is
as good as mine. The car had 3 miles on it when I took delivery and
currently has 160 miles on it. I don't know how they handle serial
numbers. I am sure there is some type of documentation that is done.
This can't be the first time.

The faulty engine is being shipped back to Nissan Engineering for an
autopsy. Engineering thinks it has a bad block casting or someone
forgot to remove a plastic cap that is inserted before final assembly.

BTW ... Only 1 percent of new cars by all manufacturers end up being
"Lemons". I thought more. Also, the vast majority of Lemon Law issues
apply to new cars, not used cars. Many think it's the other way around.

---
http://www.avg.com

On 6/20/2017 6:16 PM, justan wrote:
Keyser Soze Wrote in message:
[...]

Rumor has it some disgruntled union guy
sabbotaged the engine by
throwing a coke bottle into the casting.

It might turn out to be an assembly problem like that. The Nissan
Customer Service guy said that's one of the reasons they want to do an
autopsy. It could be that other vehicles may have this problem and
Nissan may need to revise the assembly/quality control procedures.

Funny thing is ... if I had purchased this car three days later, I
probably would never had noticed the problem until next fall. It ran
fine. Just no heat. Fortunately Memorial Day was cold and raw here and
that's when I noticed it. Since then it's been A/C weather.

---
http://www.avg.com

On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 18:18:19 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

[...]

I am not sure how anyone would know it is not the original engine. How
many people even know where the engine serial number is and I have
never seen it on a title in any state I have lived in. I know that was
common many years ago but not so much for the last half century.

wrote:

[...]

It's not on the title and the VIN number only identifies what engine the
car is equipped with if more than one is available in that model. In
this case, there is only one engine used in the Pathfinder. The actual
serial number of the engine might be buried on the manufacturer's build
sheet some place but I haven't seen one of them in years either. They
used to hide them in places like in the springs of the back seat.

---
http://www.avg.com

On 6/20/2017 9:32 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 20:41:21 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 6/20/2017 7:21 PM,
wrote:

I am not sure how anyone would know it is not the original engine. How
many people even know where the engine serial number is and I have
never seen it on a title in any state I have lived in. I know that was
common many years ago but not so much for the last half century.

It's not on the title and the VIN number only identifies what engine the
car is equipped with if more than one is available in that model. In
this case, there is only one engine used in the Pathfinder. The actual
serial number of the engine might be buried on the manufacturer's build
sheet some place but I haven't seen one of them in years either. They
used to hide them in places like in the springs of the back seat.

So basically swapping engines is about as important as replacing the
brake pads in the records. I would not sweat it.

I was thinking about this last night. The car will be ready later today
or tomorrow according to the dealership.

Due to the way the MA Lemon Law is written, I probably have the best
warranty you can get for the next 11 months. If *anything* else on the
car requires warranty repair in that time frame (or 15,000 miles) it
will immediately be subject to the Lemon Law. It means I could drive it
for the next 10 months or so, have something go bad under warranty and
Nissan could be required to refund all the money including trade values,
licensing and title fees that I originally paid or give me a replacement
car of equal or better value. There's no allowance for depreciation.

This is due to the second part of the MA law that states that if the car
is required to be in the shop for warranty repairs for a total of 15
days or more during the first year of ownership (or 15,000 miles) it is
subject to the Lemon Law. The 15 days need not be consecutive and the
problem does not have to be the same one. Any combination of warranty
repair requirements qualify.

My car already qualifies should any other problems occur. It has been
in the shop for 19 business days already. :-)

---
http://www.avg.com

wrote:

[...]

"Numbers matching" is only important in collectible cars, where it signifies originality and adds to value. You should be good to go. Good luck!

On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 06:56:37 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 6/20/2017 9:32 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 20:41:21 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 6/20/2017 7:21 PM,
wrote:

[...]

Sounds good. I bet they will be really nice to you for the next year.

2017 Pathfinder update Mr. Luddite General 16 June 21st 17 07:33 PM
Pathfinder update ... interesting news Mr. Luddite General 8 June 10th 17 04:11 PM
Pathfinder update Mr. Luddite General 36 June 4th 17 11:26 PM
Bad outcome amdx[_3_] General 318 January 22nd 14 10:32 PM
How can you dislike this outcome? F.O.A.D. General 5 January 22nd 14 10:32 PM