Junior Member

Smile 1983 Sea Ray 260 Sundancer

In the past, I have sailed the seas in a sailboat but now in my old age want to trailer a boat to different Ports of Call. I also intend to keep my powerboat at home after summer long weekends of boating.

I am seriously considering the purchase of a 26" 1983 Sea Ray Sundancer. It is quite a distance from me and the price could be right for my budget.

QUESTIONS:
1) I have a GMC Sierra that will haul 11,300 lbs. This means that I would have no difficulty in hauling such a weight. BUT how would it be towing such a boat on the highway?

2) Any known problem areas that I should be aware of?

Thank you to all who answer and for your time.

Default 1983 Sea Ray 260 Sundancer

Dolly Grey wrote:

In the past, I have sailed the seas in a sailboat but now in my old age
want to trailer a boat to different Ports of Call. I also intend to keep
my powerboat at home after summer long weekends of boating.

I am seriously considering the purchase of a 26" 1983 Sea Ray Sundancer.
It is quite a distance from me and the price could be right for my
budget.

QUESTIONS:
1) I have a GMC Sierra that will haul 11,300 lbs. This means that I
would have no difficulty in hauling such a weight. BUT how would it be
towing such a boat on the highway?

2) Any known problem areas that I should be aware of?

Thank you to all who answer and for your time.

Towing should not be a problem if you are competent. But a 1983. probably
a money pit. Also a fairly large boat, so consider where you will use it.

"Dolly Grey

In the past, I have sailed the seas in a sailboat but now in my old age
want to trailer a boat to different Ports of Call. I also intend to keep
my powerboat at home after summer long weekends of boating.

I am seriously considering the purchase of a 26" 1983 Sea Ray Sundancer.
It is quite a distance from me and the price could be right for my
budget.

QUESTIONS:
1) I have a GMC Sierra that will haul 11,300 lbs. This means that I
would have no difficulty in hauling such a weight. BUT how would it be
towing such a boat on the highway?

2) Any known problem areas that I should be aware of?

Thank you to all who answer and for your time."

I've been struggling with this question for the last 6 years.
First of all I needed a boat big enough to make the wife comfy, was safe enough to take out in fresh water lakes and rivers to ocean harbours and bays. On the other hand it had to fight into my narrow 10'5" wide driveway nightly.
I didn't want the hassel of an older boat so it had to be new.
This was a bad time as our CDN dollar is only worth a fraction of the US dollar.
Still not sure I got it right

On Wed, 15 Mar 2017 14:31:26 +0000, Dolly Grey
wrote:

In the past, I have sailed the seas in a sailboat but now in my old age
want to trailer a boat to different Ports of Call. I also intend to keep
my powerboat at home after summer long weekends of boating.

I am seriously considering the purchase of a 26" 1983 Sea Ray Sundancer.
It is quite a distance from me and the price could be right for my
budget.

QUESTIONS:
1) I have a GMC Sierra that will haul 11,300 lbs. This means that I
would have no difficulty in hauling such a weight. BUT how would it be
towing such a boat on the highway?

2) Any known problem areas that I should be aware of?

Thank you to all who answer and for your time.

===

Your post raises a number of questions and issues. Let's start with
the boat. You don't say whether or not it has been used if fresh
water or salt water. If salt, the engine is almost certainly overdue
for replacement or major rebuild. If that has not been done it's
probably better to walk away because even if it's running OK now, it
won't be long before the cylinder heads rust out. With a boat that
old the electricals should be thoroughly checked and also the
hydraulics for engine tilt and trim tabs (if any).

Moving on to the trailer, do you have one already or does a trailer
come with the boat? If it comes with the boat be sure to have the
brakes and wheel bearings checked and/or serviced. The condition of
the bunks and/or rollers should also be checked.

Carefully check the brake lights and turn signals. Trailer wiring and
lights are frequent problem areas. Watch your speed first time on the
highway. If the trailer starts to sway or act unstable in any way,
you probably need to adjust the tongue weight by moving the boat fore
or aft. Normally you want tongue weight between 5 and 10 percent of
the total. Correct tire pressure for both the boat and truck are also
important.

True North wrote:
"Dolly Grey

[...]

You'll never get it right. Hopefully your next try will fight in your
driveway. Nightly? That's interesting, too.

wrote:

In the past, I have sailed the seas in a sailboat but now in my old age
want to trailer a boat to different Ports of Call. I also intend to keep
my powerboat at home after summer long weekends of boating.

I am seriously considering the purchase of a 26" 1983 Sea Ray Sundancer.
It is quite a distance from me and the price could be right for my
budget.

QUESTIONS:
1) I have a GMC Sierra that will haul 11,300 lbs. This means that I
would have no difficulty in hauling such a weight. BUT how would it be
towing such a boat on the highway?

2) Any known problem areas that I should be aware of?

Thank you to all who answer and for your time.

Listen to Wayne, He has a SunRay a foot or so bigger than the one you
are talking about. Old boats can be OK, particularly in fresh water.
Here in the salt, they tend to be George Washington's hatchet. It has
had the handle replaced a couple times and it has a new head but it is
the same one that chopped down the cherry tree.
You need to figure out how much was replaced and when because it is
almost all a consumable.
Tim Tim is offline

You'll be fine towing it. I pulled my 23' Marquis with a 90 Mercury station wagon. It did fine. I made sure I had good trailer brakes, though.

If the boat has fresh water use and had excellent maintenance I can't see you needing to do much. But I hope you didn't spend a great deal in it.

On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 12:13:26 -0700 (PDT), Tim wrote:

You'll be fine towing it. I pulled my 23' Marquis with a 90 Mercury station wagon. It did fine. I made sure I had good trailer brakes, though.

If the boat has fresh water use and had excellent maintenance I can't see you needing to do much. But I hope you didn't spend a great deal in it.

He got, I think, a lot of good tips and info. Don't think he's been back to say 'thanks' though.
Tim Tim is offline

3:33 PMPoco Deplorevole
On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 12:13:26 -0700 (PDT), Tim wrote:

You'll be fine towing it. I pulled my 23' Marquis with a 90 Mercury station wagon. It did fine. I made sure I had good trailer brakes, though.

If the boat has fresh water use and had excellent maintenance I can't see you needing to do much. But I hope you didn't spend a great deal in it.

He got, I think, a lot of good tips and info. Don't think he's been back to say 'thanks' though.

John, That happens a lot that is, when it happens...

1983 F.O.A.D. General 16 November 24th 13 05:01 AM
1983 Catalina 38 cavelamb[_2_] Cruising 6 April 5th 10 09:50 PM
Sea Ray 240 Sundancer or 260 Sundancer: Any owner's out there? Bryan General 0 March 17th 06 10:26 PM
Sea Ray 240 Sundancer or 260 Sundancer: Any owner's out there? Bryan General 0 March 17th 06 10:26 PM
1983 15 hp Johnson o/b that just won't run right! Joe General 4 August 13th 03 04:33 PM