Tim Tim is offline

Default Great Trip!

On Sunday, January 15, 2017 at 8:35:19 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 15:48:07 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

On Saturday, January 14, 2017 at 8:33:51 PM UTC-6, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 1/14/2017 7:54 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 14 Jan 2017 13:34:48 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 1/14/2017 12:27 PM,
wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 14:01:54 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

I've been on enough cruises to last me, courtesy of Uncle Sam.

It is not quite the same but I understand the sentiment. When Judy was
in the AC biz, cruises seemed to be the sales prize of choice and she
won a bunch of them.

True. The only time I had an authorized drink aboard ship was when the
Captain ordered "Splice the mainbrace" following an arduous underway
replenishment and refueling in the middle of the winter.

On the CG ocean stations they roll out a keg of beer on "hump day" the
middle of a 4 week patrol. It ends up being just about enough for
everyone to get one of those big navy coffee mugs full.

The cutter my grandson is assigned to just returned from a drug
interdiction patrol during which they seized 90 million dollars worth of
cocaine. The drugs were confiscated from four, high speed outboard
powered boats. They launch a helicopter from the flight deck that goes
out and fires on the outboard engines, disabling them and then an armed
boarding team takes over.

Goodie for 'em!

===

Yes indeed, those drug busts got a lot of publicity here in FL last
week. Unfortunately it's just a drop in the bucket. I'd be willing
to bet that there are another bunch of speedboats and submarines out
there right now.

Oh Im sure there's several but they get what they can and that shows their doing something.

On 1/14/2017 7:54 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 14 Jan 2017 13:34:48 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

It would be very cool to have a video of those helicopters zooming in
for the engine kill. I wonder what kind of armament they use.

On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 20:48:42 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 1/15/17 7:45 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 15:25:57 -0500,

wrote:

On Sat, 14 Jan 2017 22:09:22 -0500,
wrote:

We were still working on a virtual zero budget but 2 of the guys
worked at International Harvester, fixing the same 6-71s the 40 footer
had. They managed to come up with all the parts we needed and get the
engines going. There were several handy guys around to fix the rest of
the broken stuff. I got my "ride" by rewiring the boat.

===

Long live the DD 6-71s. We've put over 6,000 hours on our pair in the
last 13 years or so, 48,000 nautical miles at last count.

I don't know how many hours these guys had on them but this was a 20
year old Coast Guard boat. Fortunately the BM1 and the MM1 fixed these
things for a living and worked in a shop at IH. They did talk Norfolk
into hauling and painting it before we got it and it did make it up to
DC although it may have limped in on one engine. (rumors vary). It
took us a few weekends to get it going and god only knows how many
hours the guys spent on the engines but it was running good when I
left. If the CG had let me stay on the boat, I may have retired from
the reserve but some bean counter decided I was supposed to be in the
electronics unit, not the "deck" unit. I left shortly after that.

Wow...you and the lads protected the mighty Anacostia River from...from
what?

The godless communists of course!
The *******s never made it past the Wilson Bridge on our watch
.... unless they were elected.
Realistically we did assist a number of boaters on the river, hauled
out hazards to navigation other things the other agencies did not care
to do. With no LE powers at all we were just putting a friendly face
on the Coast Guard. We were only there to help. (no boardings, no
inspections, no hassles)

On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 22:22:26 -0500,
wrote:

It would be very cool to have a video of those helicopters zooming in
for the engine kill. I wonder what kind of armament they use.

50 cal with AP rounds.

On 1/15/2017 9:26 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 16:57:05 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

We were still working on a virtual zero budget but 2 of the guys
worked at International Harvester, fixing the same 6-71s the 40 footer
had. They managed to come up with all the parts we needed and get the
engines going. There were several handy guys around to fix the rest of
the broken stuff. I got my "ride" by rewiring the boat.

===

Long live the DD 6-71s. We've put over 6,000 hours on our pair in the
last 13 years or so, 48,000 nautical miles at last count.

Just about broken in, huh?

===

Almost. :-)

At age 36 they now into middle age.

They will probably out live me.

I have a friend who's father bought a 38 foot Hatteras back in the early
to mid 70's. (actually he won it in a poker game but that's a different
story). It was originally equipped with a pair of gas engines and my
friend's father replaced them with DD6-71s. The boat is still being
used every year although the old man can't boat anymore. The only
problem with the swap to the diesels was the change in weight
distribution. A Hat is a heavy to begin with and with the added weight
of the DD671's located too far aft, it just squats and can't climb up to
plane. Doesn't matter because they use it mostly for slow trolling
while fishing.

wrote:
On Sat, 14 Jan 2017 13:34:48 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

..50 cal precision guns.

http://14544-presscdn-0-64.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/hitron_gunner_with_tools_of_the_trade.jpg

wrote:
On Sat, 14 Jan 2017 13:34:48 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Thanks. Here's a fairly good video:

https://youtu.be/cBOGJFvBqw0

Great trip, great food? F.O.A.D. General 2 July 4th 13 02:19 AM
Great Trip through New England JimH[_5_] General 6 October 22nd 08 12:38 AM
Finished Great Loop Trip Miriam Cruising 2 May 7th 08 12:17 AM
great lakes trip bacolod Cruising 8 November 7th 06 08:15 PM
Great Canal and Great Lake trip site Roger Long Cruising 3 June 7th 05 03:21 PM