Default Body Cameras

Looks like one of the immediate reactions to the Ferguson (and other)
shooting(s) is a call for all police officers in the USA to wear a
camera intended to document what occurs in a police action.

Pros? Cons?

"Mr. Luddite" wrote:
Looks like one of the immediate reactions to the Ferguson (and other)
shooting(s) is a call for all police officers in the USA to wear a camera
intended to document what occurs in a police action.

Pros? Cons?

I've read a few articles that state that where the cameras are used, the
number of complaints about police brutality have dropped sharply.
--
Sent from my iPhone 6+
KC KC is offline

On 11/26/2014 11:42 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 20:29:41 -0500, KC wrote:

On 11/26/2014 8:03 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 19:48:46 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

Looks like one of the immediate reactions to the Ferguson (and other)
shooting(s) is a call for all police officers in the USA to wear a
camera intended to document what occurs in a police action.

Pros? Cons?

The only con I have heard is the privacy issue. The pictures are in
the public domain and a lot of people who were not actually arrested
can still have their image popping up on youtube.

Well, if you are in the public domain and somebody films you, from what
I know, that is not an invasion of your civil rights. Now I am not sure
how this works on private property, but I suspect those rules may be
different during police activity??

That is the problem. We expect the cops to be able to go lots of
places where we have the expectation of privacy but that camera is
going to see everything, not just the reason the cop was there.
The cop himself is prevented from using a lot of things he sees but
the camera still sees it.
I am mostly referring to innocent 3d parties, not the object of the
enquiry.

No, I understand completely. They may have to make a "poison pill" law
where they can not use the vid as evidence for a warrant or in court.
Maybe the film can only be used in a court case to prove or disprove the
actions of the cop, or others directly involved in the incident, maybe
only to be viewed at all by court order, and in the presense of a judge.
What I am suggesting is the "daily vid" is sealed and not even the cop
sees it until such time as a judge calls it out....

wrote:

[...]

The videos taken from squad cars are used routinely in courts as
evidence. Most seem to be DUI arrests.

Banned

On Wednesday, November 26, 2014 9:52:02 PM UTC-5, BAR wrote:

They do work for us and we should be able to dictate the working
conditions. The police should wear cameras the entire time they are on
duty.

So should krause, but no one would want to watch any of that ****.

KC
On 11/26/2014 11:54 PM, wrote:
" Not sure how long to keep it, but my idea would be nobody gets to see it
until a judge orders it, and then only in a case where the police or
suspect action is in question, *not for* investigative or to produce a
warrant, collect intel, etc... "

,what are you so worried about?.....
Oh wait a minute....if you act in real life like you do in here, it all makes perfect sense.

Cameras, cameras?? Don White General 19 December 17th 08 04:43 AM
The body never lies Charles Momsen ASA 2 November 30th 08 10:01 PM
Bob knows cameras Joe ASA 1 November 7th 05 03:23 PM
3 more body bags with Bush's name on them Mr Wizzard General 0 November 5th 04 08:43 AM
body stle >cnc General 2 August 12th 04 11:51 AM