Default Yo Mr. Luddite!

On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 19:28:21 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 16:55:03 -0400, F*O*A*D wrote:

Tried one of my near neighbor's rifles this afternoon, a Ruger Mini 14.
I've been interested in one for a while, and have fired one before, but
this was the first time I had an opportunity to put 40 rounds through
one. Accurate enough for me at 50 yards, didn't try anything farther
out. Would be an interesting candidate for a silencer.

Looked like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej39umHaB08

Mini 14s are pretty good but I would be surprised that they even let
you have one in the "unfree" state.
It is an assault rifle in places that use that ridiculous term.

I also wonder if your sheriff signs BATF form 4's for the suppressor.

My friend who was a class III collector moved to Virginia to get away
from the bull****.
He had a real nice mini, selective fire, suppressor, optics and all in
stainless.
The suppressor will reduce the muzzle blast quite a bit but you are
still dealing with the crack of the bullet.
The good news in the 5.56x45 is commodity ammo and when things settle
down it will be pretty cheap again.

Shows how ridiculous the Maryland law is. Capabilities are the same, looks are different. One's
legal, the other's not...it's an 'assault rifle'. What horse****.

On 7/26/14, 9:25 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 19:53:38 -0400, F*O*A*D wrote:

On 7/26/14, 7:28 PM,
wrote:
[...]

The Mini 14s and 30s are Maryland legal, except for models with folding
stocks. They are not. Matters not to me...I prefer the wood or plastic
"standard" stocks to the "AR" style stocks. If I decided I wanted one,
I'd be hard pressed to choose between the 14 and the 30.

I would lean toward the 7.62x39. The ammo is more available at
commodity prices and it has better down range performance unless you
are just shooting woodchucks or something. The 5.56 is great for
wounding people grievously but not much else.

Most of the 7.62x39 ammo I've seen for sale at decent prices is the
steel-cased Russian crap. I have my doubts about how well steel-cased
ammo cycles. The brass cased ammo in that caliber is much more expensive.

I don't shoot woodchucks or any other critters.

On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 07:54:45 -0400, BAR wrote:

In article ,
says...

On 7/26/2014 4:55 PM, F*O*A*D wrote:
On 7/26/14, 4:40 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 7/26/2014 3:03 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 05:07:43 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Friday, July 25, 2014 11:23:52 PM UTC-4, Wayne. B wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 20:33:32 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"

wrote:

Better off with a simple Ford or Chevy that can

be repaired by just about anyone.

===

Personally I prefer a Toyota or Honda that rarely needs to be repaired

by anyone.
Plus, the dealer told me that in order to keep up the warranty, I
needed to follow the strict "bring it in every 75oo miles" service
schedule in the warranty book.

I guess that dealer never read the MAGNUSON-MOSS WARRANTY ACT. They
can not require you to use any particular service provider or any
particular brand of parts or supplies.

In the case of the two BMW M5s I had, if BMW couldn't resolve the
software issues that controls everything, including shifting from Park
to Drive, who the heck else was going to fix it? Both of them
experienced the "Red Cog of Death" (orange alert on the panel) and the
car wouldn't shift out of neutral. Happened to some people while
tooling down the highway. Fortunately for me it happened in my driveway
both times. Dealer had to send a flatbed truck down and haul them away.

Also, it's not necessarily a case of repairing items or replacing parts.
Those cars had a very specific and detailed "break-in" procedure with
more than usual dealer "check ups" required to keep the warranty valid.
The car computer recorded all data ... max engine RPM, acceleration
rates, etc. I remember that you had to keep RPMs below a certain level
for the first 1200 or 1500 miles, then start to slowly increase. If
they found you violated any of the break-in restrictions and something
went wrong, your warranty was at risk.

Bottom line ... nice car but a pain in the ass to own.

The Porsche was different. Old school. No fancy electronic controls
with software that crashed or hung up. Six speed manual transmission
and 450 hp in a car under 3000 lbs. Handled like it was on rails at 35
mph or 120 mph. I enjoyed it for a year or so but then realized it just
wasn't "me". I am a pick-up type. Far more practical and functional.

I went the other way, and no longer have a pick-me-up truck.

But I kept the 4Runner. Over 200,000 miles on it at the moment.

Tried one of my near neighbor's rifles this afternoon, a Ruger Mini 14.
I've been interested in one for a while, and have fired one before, but
this was the first time I had an opportunity to put 40 rounds through
one. Accurate enough for me at 50 yards, didn't try anything farther
out. Would be an interesting candidate for a silencer.

Looked like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej39umHaB08

I just saw this the other day for the first time. Turns out the USA
doesn't hold an exclusive claim to "gun nuts".

If you haven't seen it, make sure you watch the entire video where he
demonstrates the fully automatic Glock 17.

The Glock 18 is the one that can go full-auto.

The Glock 18 is a selective fire variant of the Glock 17, developed at
the request of the Austrian counter-terrorist unit EKO Cobra. This
machine pistol?class firearm has a lever-type fire-control selector
switch, installed on the serrated portion of the rear left side of the
slide. With the selector lever in the bottom position, the pistol will
fire fully automatic, and with the selector lever in the top position,
the pistol will fire semi-automatically. The firearm is typically used
with an extended 33-round capacity magazine, although other magazines
from the Glock 17 will function, with available capacities of 10, 17, or
19 rounds. Early Glock 18 models were ported to reduce muzzle rise
during automatic fire. Another compensated variant was produced, known
as the Glock 18C. It has a keyhole opening cut into the forward portion
of the slide, similar to the opening on the Glock long-slide models,
although the Glock 18 has a standard-length slide. The keyhole opening
provides an area to allow the four, progressively larger (from back to
front) compensator cuts machined into the barrel to vent the propellant
gases upwards, affording more control over the rapid-firing machine
pistol.

"That's what I'm f---in' talkin' about". LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbsgHbXubGU

Thanks for the info.

Mr Luddite Hank General 6 January 26th 14 11:19 PM
Yo Luddite Poco Loco General 2 January 19th 14 01:42 AM
Yo Luddite John H[_2_] General 2 October 10th 13 01:13 AM
For Mr. Luddite... F.O.A.D. General 1 September 17th 13 02:40 AM
Not so much a Luddite in my old age Frogwatch[_2_] General 12 March 22nd 09 03:02 AM