F*O*A*D F*O*A*D is offline

Default Yo Mr. Luddite!

On 7/26/14, 9:25 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 19:53:38 -0400, F*O*A*D wrote:

On 7/26/14, 7:28 PM,
wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 16:55:03 -0400, F*O*A*D wrote:

Tried one of my near neighbor's rifles this afternoon, a Ruger Mini 14.
I've been interested in one for a while, and have fired one before, but
this was the first time I had an opportunity to put 40 rounds through
one. Accurate enough for me at 50 yards, didn't try anything farther
out. Would be an interesting candidate for a silencer.

Looked like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej39umHaB08

Mini 14s are pretty good but I would be surprised that they even let
you have one in the "unfree" state.
It is an assault rifle in places that use that ridiculous term.

I also wonder if your sheriff signs BATF form 4's for the suppressor.

My friend who was a class III collector moved to Virginia to get away
from the bull****.
He had a real nice mini, selective fire, suppressor, optics and all in
stainless.
The suppressor will reduce the muzzle blast quite a bit but you are
still dealing with the crack of the bullet.
The good news in the 5.56x45 is commodity ammo and when things settle
down it will be pretty cheap again.

The Mini 14s and 30s are Maryland legal, except for models with folding
stocks. They are not. Matters not to me...I prefer the wood or plastic
"standard" stocks to the "AR" style stocks. If I decided I wanted one,
I'd be hard pressed to choose between the 14 and the 30.

I would lean toward the 7.62x39. The ammo is more available at
commodity prices and it has better down range performance unless you
are just shooting woodchucks or something. The 5.56 is great for
wounding people grievously but not much else.

Most of the 7.62x39 ammo I've seen for sale at decent prices is the
steel-cased Russian crap. I have my doubts about how well steel-cased
ammo cycles. The brass cased ammo in that caliber is much more expensive.

I don't shoot woodchucks or any other critters.