Default Yo Mr. Luddite!

On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 06:18:41 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Saturday, July 26, 2014 8:38:42 AM UTC-4, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 7/26/2014 8:07 AM,
wrote:

On Friday, July 25, 2014 11:23:52 PM UTC-4, Wayne. B wrote:

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 20:33:32 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"

wrote:

Better off with a simple Ford or Chevy that can

be repaired by just about anyone.

===

Personally I prefer a Toyota or Honda that rarely needs to be repaired

by anyone.

I've owned one Honda, bought new in '89. In almost 50k miles I had more trouble with it than the Explorer that came after it had in nearly 80k miles. Plus, the dealer told me that in order to keep up the warranty, I needed to follow the strict "bring it in every 75oo miles" service schedule in the warranty book. Even while the issues it had, including a clutch replacement brought on by a rear main seal leak, were all covered under warranty I spent plenty on "maintenance".

No, the current Audi won't be inexpensive to maintain. But it's a much better car than anything in the Honda or Acura lineup.

There's no question that the various BMW's and the Porsche we had were

excellent, well engineered cars ... at least mechanically. During our

car craziness my wife and I had at one time or another:

2000 BMW 760 (12 cyl)

2002 BMW 330i

2004 BMW X5 (tractor trailer backed up over it in Florida)

2006 BMW M5 (dealer took back due to numerous software problems)

2007 BMW M5 (didn't have long ... similar software problems)

2003 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo ... (finest car I've ever owned or driven)

2007 BMW Z4 Sport (wife bought thinking she could race me in Porsche)

(didn't even come close)

2008 BMW 750

All nice, fun cars but definitely high maintenance, especially the M5s.

We finally got over the car craze. I went back to a pickup truck and

my wife to a Mercury something or other ... (Merc version of a Ford

Explorer)

Haven't had a single issue with either of them. Maintenance consists of

oil changes and new windshield wipers every year.

BMW's do have a reputation of being high maintenance cars, more so than some of the other "luxury" car brands. The lone Porsche I've had, a 2000 Boxster S, was almost trouble free. Only issue was torn rear axle inner CV boots (common on the S model), and while they are fairly inexpensive, the shop wanted 10 hours of labor to do the job. I ended up doing it myself in about 11 hours for a lot less. And I had some new, cool tools left over. Always looking for an excuse to buy new tools. :-)

Of everything I've ever owned, the Porsche had the best road feel, brakes, steering and handling. Hands down. Awesome car.

I'd love to have a Boxter, or Cayman, but like the Miata, there is simply not enough leg room.

wrote:

Better off with a simple Ford or Chevy that can

be repaired by just about anyone.

===

Personally I prefer a Toyota or Honda that rarely needs to be repaired

by anyone.

Plus, the dealer told me that in order to keep up the warranty, I needed to follow the strict "bring it in every 75oo miles" service schedule in the warranty book.

I guess that dealer never read the MAGNUSON-MOSS WARRANTY ACT. They

can not require you to use any particular service provider or any

particular brand of parts or supplies.

I know that. They just try to strong-arm folks into bringing it in to lubricate the door hinges, etc. Another profit center for the stealership.

If I save the receipts for the oil changes and other really required maintenance (and I do), I'm covered. It just takes a fight.

BTW, the 'vette got hit with a known issue, groaning in slow speed sharp turns, like while parking. It was the limited slip clutches in the diff that was making the noise, and GM knew about the problem, issuing a TSB and changing the diff lube formulation. The dealer refused to honor it, making me pay for the fix, even after escalating it up to GM and their customer service rep. The dealer tried to say it was "required maintenance" to change the diff lube at 40k miles, even though GM's own printed material said otherwise. The factory rep backed up the service writer. First, and last, GM vehicle. GM is ****. Too bad, the 'vette was a really fun car.

My last Audi had a couple of minor issues, and the dealer and Audi took care of them, no questions. It may be a little more expensive to do normal maintenance than, say, a GM product but at least they aren't going to cut-n-run on me.

wrote:

Better off with a simple Ford or Chevy that can

be repaired by just about anyone.

===

Personally I prefer a Toyota or Honda that rarely needs to be repaired

by anyone.

Plus, the dealer told me that in order to keep up the warranty, I needed to follow the strict "bring it in every 75oo miles" service schedule in the warranty book.

I guess that dealer never read the MAGNUSON-MOSS WARRANTY ACT. They
can not require you to use any particular service provider or any
particular brand of parts or supplies.

In the case of the two BMW M5s I had, if BMW couldn't resolve the
software issues that controls everything, including shifting from Park
to Drive, who the heck else was going to fix it? Both of them
experienced the "Red Cog of Death" (orange alert on the panel) and the
car wouldn't shift out of neutral. Happened to some people while
tooling down the highway. Fortunately for me it happened in my driveway
both times. Dealer had to send a flatbed truck down and haul them away.

Also, it's not necessarily a case of repairing items or replacing parts.
Those cars had a very specific and detailed "break-in" procedure with
more than usual dealer "check ups" required to keep the warranty valid.
The car computer recorded all data ... max engine RPM, acceleration
rates, etc. I remember that you had to keep RPMs below a certain level
for the first 1200 or 1500 miles, then start to slowly increase. If
they found you violated any of the break-in restrictions and something
went wrong, your warranty was at risk.

Bottom line ... nice car but a pain in the ass to own.

The Porsche was different. Old school. No fancy electronic controls
with software that crashed or hung up. Six speed manual transmission
and 450 hp in a car under 3000 lbs. Handled like it was on rails at 35
mph or 120 mph. I enjoyed it for a year or so but then realized it just
wasn't "me". I am a pick-up type. Far more practical and functional.

wrote:

[...]

I went the other way, and no longer have a pick-me-up truck.

But I kept the 4Runner. Over 200,000 miles on it at the moment.

Tried one of my near neighbor's rifles this afternoon, a Ruger Mini 14.
I've been interested in one for a while, and have fired one before, but
this was the first time I had an opportunity to put 40 rounds through
one. Accurate enough for me at 50 yards, didn't try anything farther
out. Would be an interesting candidate for a silencer.

Looked like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej39umHaB08

wrote:

[...]

I just saw this the other day for the first time. Turns out the USA
doesn't hold an exclusive claim to "gun nuts".

If you haven't seen it, make sure you watch the entire video where he
demonstrates the fully automatic Glock 17.

"That's what I'm f---in' talkin' about". LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbsgHbXubGU

[...]

That's Kyle Myers, an American who fakes being a Russian. "Have nice day!"

wrote:

[...]

Hah. I didn't know that. Duped was I. Still funny though.

Banned

On Friday, July 25, 2014 4:56:30 PM UTC-4, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 7/25/2014 3:29 PM, Poquito Loco wrote:

Just finished reading about this cute, little thing. Let us know when you get it and what you think

of it. It may put the M5 to shame.

"What" thing?

He's referring to his Dildo.

[...]

He's fun to watch and listen to...

On 7/26/14, 7:28 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 16:55:03 -0400, F*O*A*D wrote:

Tried one of my near neighbor's rifles this afternoon, a Ruger Mini 14.
I've been interested in one for a while, and have fired one before, but
this was the first time I had an opportunity to put 40 rounds through
one. Accurate enough for me at 50 yards, didn't try anything farther
out. Would be an interesting candidate for a silencer.

Looked like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej39umHaB08

Mini 14s are pretty good but I would be surprised that they even let
you have one in the "unfree" state.
It is an assault rifle in places that use that ridiculous term.

I also wonder if your sheriff signs BATF form 4's for the suppressor.

My friend who was a class III collector moved to Virginia to get away
from the bull****.
He had a real nice mini, selective fire, suppressor, optics and all in
stainless.
The suppressor will reduce the muzzle blast quite a bit but you are
still dealing with the crack of the bullet.
The good news in the 5.56x45 is commodity ammo and when things settle
down it will be pretty cheap again.

The Mini 14s and 30s are Maryland legal, except for models with folding
stocks. They are not. Matters not to me...I prefer the wood or plastic
"standard" stocks to the "AR" style stocks. If I decided I wanted one,
I'd be hard pressed to choose between the 14 and the 30.

Mr Luddite Hank General 6 January 26th 14 11:19 PM
Yo Luddite Poco Loco General 2 January 19th 14 01:42 AM
Yo Luddite John H[_2_] General 2 October 10th 13 01:13 AM
For Mr. Luddite... F.O.A.D. General 1 September 17th 13 02:40 AM
Not so much a Luddite in my old age Frogwatch[_2_] General 12 March 22nd 09 03:02 AM