BoatBanter.com

-   -   Yo Mr. Luddite! (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/161332-yo-mr-luddite.html)

Poquito Loco July 25th 14 08:29 PM

Yo Mr. Luddite!

Just finished reading about this cute, little thing. Let us know when you get it and what you think
of it. It may put the M5 to shame.

Mr. Luddite July 25th 14 09:56 PM

Yo Mr. Luddite!

On 7/25/2014 3:29 PM, Poquito Loco wrote:
Just finished reading about this cute, little thing. Let us know when you get it and what you think
of it. It may put the M5 to shame.

"What" thing?

Poquito Loco July 25th 14 10:20 PM

Yo Mr. Luddite!

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 16:56:30 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 7/25/2014 3:29 PM, Poquito Loco wrote:
Just finished reading about this cute, little thing. Let us know when you get it and what you think
of it. It may put the M5 to shame.

"What" thing?

OK, you can call me a 'dumb ass' one time.

This thing: http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...ngs-we-learned

As soon as I saw it in Road and Track, I thought of you. It is a beautiful car.

Mr. Luddite July 26th 14 01:33 AM

Yo Mr. Luddite!

On 7/25/2014 5:20 PM, Poquito Loco wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 16:56:30 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 7/25/2014 3:29 PM, Poquito Loco wrote:
Just finished reading about this cute, little thing. Let us know when you get it and what you think
of it. It may put the M5 to shame.

"What" thing?

OK, you can call me a 'dumb ass' one time.

This thing: http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...ngs-we-learned

As soon as I saw it in Road and Track, I thought of you. It is a beautiful car.

Naw, no interest in that. Although I can appreciate their quality and
engineering, I got over my attraction with BMW's and Porsche after
having them for a while. High maintenance and service centers are not
always local to you. Better off with a simple Ford or Chevy that can
be repaired by just about anyone.

The new Ford F-150 engine is impressive. Tiny little 2.7L V-6 that
develops 325 hp and 375 lb-ft of torque. Here's a video where they
tested it towing 7,000 lbs up a 6 degree grade against a Dodge Ram with
the eco diesel and a Silverado with a 5.3L V-8 towing the same load.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n2uEx8CojE

Wayne.B July 26th 14 04:23 AM

Yo Mr. Luddite!

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 20:33:32 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

Better off with a simple Ford or Chevy that can
be repaired by just about anyone.

===

Personally I prefer a Toyota or Honda that rarely needs to be repaired
by anyone.

[email protected] July 26th 14 01:07 PM

Yo Mr. Luddite!

wrote:

Better off with a simple Ford or Chevy that can

be repaired by just about anyone.

===

Personally I prefer a Toyota or Honda that rarely needs to be repaired

by anyone.

I've owned one Honda, bought new in '89. In almost 50k miles I had more trouble with it than the Explorer that came after it had in nearly 80k miles. Plus, the dealer told me that in order to keep up the warranty, I needed to follow the strict "bring it in every 75oo miles" service schedule in the warranty book. Even while the issues it had, including a clutch replacement brought on by a rear main seal leak, were all covered under warranty I spent plenty on "maintenance".

No, the current Audi won't be inexpensive to maintain. But it's a much better car than anything in the Honda or Acura lineup.

Mr. Luddite July 26th 14 01:38 PM

Yo Mr. Luddite!

wrote:

Better off with a simple Ford or Chevy that can

be repaired by just about anyone.

===

Personally I prefer a Toyota or Honda that rarely needs to be repaired

by anyone.

I've owned one Honda, bought new in '89. In almost 50k miles I had more trouble with it than the Explorer that came after it had in nearly 80k miles. Plus, the dealer told me that in order to keep up the warranty, I needed to follow the strict "bring it in every 75oo miles" service schedule in the warranty book. Even while the issues it had, including a clutch replacement brought on by a rear main seal leak, were all covered under warranty I spent plenty on "maintenance".

No, the current Audi won't be inexpensive to maintain. But it's a much better car than anything in the Honda or Acura lineup.

There's no question that the various BMW's and the Porsche we had were
excellent, well engineered cars ... at least mechanically. During our
car craziness my wife and I had at one time or another:

2000 BMW 760 (12 cyl)
2002 BMW 330i
2004 BMW X5 (tractor trailer backed up over it in Florida)
2006 BMW M5 (dealer took back due to numerous software problems)
2007 BMW M5 (didn't have long ... similar software problems)
2003 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo ... (finest car I've ever owned or driven)
2007 BMW Z4 Sport (wife bought thinking she could race me in Porsche)
(didn't even come close)
2008 BMW 750

All nice, fun cars but definitely high maintenance, especially the M5s.
We finally got over the car craze. I went back to a pickup truck and
my wife to a Mercury something or other ... (Merc version of a Ford
Explorer)

Haven't had a single issue with either of them. Maintenance consists of
oil changes and new windshield wipers every year.

[email protected] July 26th 14 02:18 PM

Yo Mr. Luddite!

wrote:

[...]

BMW's do have a reputation of being high maintenance cars, more so than some of the other "luxury" car brands. The lone Porsche I've had, a 2000 Boxster S, was almost trouble free. Only issue was torn rear axle inner CV boots (common on the S model), and while they are fairly inexpensive, the shop wanted 10 hours of labor to do the job. I ended up doing it myself in about 11 hours for a lot less. And I had some new, cool tools left over. Always looking for an excuse to buy new tools. :-)

Of everything I've ever owned, the Porsche had the best road feel, brakes, steering and handling. Hands down. Awesome car.

Poquito Loco July 26th 14 05:55 PM

Yo Mr. Luddite!

[...]

Impressive, especially for only 2.7L. Glad it didn't outrun my diesel. Then I'd really feel bad.

If Ford had made a decent diesel when I was buying mine, I'd be driving a Ford.

Poquito Loco July 26th 14 05:57 PM

Yo Mr. Luddite!

wrote:

Better off with a simple Ford or Chevy that can
be repaired by just about anyone.

===

Personally I prefer a Toyota or Honda that rarely needs to be repaired
by anyone.

I've not had any problems with my 2009 Silverado, until now. I'm getting a check engine light for
that glow plug. Haven't fixed it yet. Will put in a new glow plug and see what happens.