On Friday, July 25, 2014 11:23:52 PM UTC-4, Wayne. B wrote:

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 20:33:32 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"

wrote:

Better off with a simple Ford or Chevy that can

be repaired by just about anyone.

===

Personally I prefer a Toyota or Honda that rarely needs to be repaired

by anyone.

Plus, the dealer told me that in order to keep up the warranty, I needed to follow the strict "bring it in every 75oo miles" service schedule in the warranty book.

I guess that dealer never read the MAGNUSON-MOSS WARRANTY ACT. They

can not require you to use any particular service provider or any

particular brand of parts or supplies.

I know that. They just try to strong-arm folks into bringing it in to lubricate the door hinges, etc. Another profit center for the stealership.

If I save the receipts for the oil changes and other really required maintenance (and I do), I'm covered. It just takes a fight.

BTW, the 'vette got hit with a known issue, groaning in slow speed sharp turns, like while parking. It was the limited slip clutches in the diff that was making the noise, and GM knew about the problem, issuing a TSB and changing the diff lube formulation. The dealer refused to honor it, making me pay for the fix, even after escalating it up to GM and their customer service rep. The dealer tried to say it was "required maintenance" to change the diff lube at 40k miles, even though GM's own printed material said otherwise. The factory rep backed up the service writer. First, and last, GM vehicle. GM is ****. Too bad, the 'vette was a really fun car.

My last Audi had a couple of minor issues, and the dealer and Audi took care of them, no questions. It may be a little more expensive to do normal maintenance than, say, a GM product but at least they aren't going to cut-n-run on me.