Default Galvanic corrosion

Jimmy boy... over the last two seasons I've used the boat 80 percent of the time in salt or brackish water.
I don't expect that to change much.
I have the wrong boat and have to figure how to get into a similar fiberglass version without draining my somewhat limited resources.

On 5/17/2014 7:11 AM, True North wrote:
Jimmy boy... over the last two seasons I've used the boat 80 percent of the time in salt or brackish water.
I don't expect that to change much.
I have the wrong boat and have to figure how to get into a similar fiberglass version without draining my somewhat limited resources.

That might be tough. A savvy used aluminum boat buyer isn't going to be
looking for a pristine buy in a seaport city. Your best bet is to put it
on consignment at an inland dealer. It's too bad you ignored our advice
about aluminum boats in sal****er use. But that's water over the dam.
Let's move on. How can we help you make a better choice this time?

On 5/17/2014 7:11 AM, True North wrote:
Jimmy boy... over the last two seasons I've used the boat 80 percent of the time in salt or brackish water.
I don't expect that to change much.
I have the wrong boat and have to figure how to get into a similar fiberglass version without draining my somewhat limited resources.

There are many aluminum boats that survive salt water use. The USCG uses
them.

They just have to be designed properly using proper materials and
anti-corrosion precautions.
KC KC is offline

On 5/17/2014 7:43 AM, H*a*r*r*o*l*d wrote:
On 5/17/2014 7:11 AM, True North wrote:
Jimmy boy... over the last two seasons I've used the boat 80 percent
of the time in salt or brackish water.
I don't expect that to change much.
I have the wrong boat and have to figure how to get into a similar
fiberglass version without draining my somewhat limited resources.

That might be tough. A savvy used aluminum boat buyer isn't going to be
looking for a pristine buy in a seaport city. Your best bet is to put it
on consignment at an inland dealer. It's too bad you ignored our advice
about aluminum boats in sal****er use. But that's water over the dam.
Let's move on. How can we help you make a better choice this time?

Don't get him going.. it's nice to see him posting like an adult for a
change.

On Sat, 17 May 2014 07:59:22 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 5/17/2014 7:11 AM, True North wrote:
Jimmy boy... over the last two seasons I've used the boat 80 percent of the time in salt or brackish water.
I don't expect that to change much.
I have the wrong boat and have to figure how to get into a similar fiberglass version without draining my somewhat limited resources.

There are many aluminum boats that survive salt water use. The USCG uses
them.

They just have to be designed properly using proper materials and
anti-corrosion precautions.

===

That is correct. There are many aluminum boats in Alaska and the
Pacific North West. They are renowned for their toughness and
relative light weight. I used to sail offshore on a number of
aluminum racing sail boats. It is important however that stainless
fasteners and fittings be properly bedded, and that the right type of
sacrificial anodes are used.

Don, since your issue seems to be primarily cosmetic at this point,
I'd try to remediate the problem as best you can, ignore the rest, and
continue to enjoy your boat. The fish don't care about that shiny new
look.

On 5/17/2014 7:59 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 5/17/2014 7:11 AM, True North wrote:
Jimmy boy... over the last two seasons I've used the boat 80 percent
of the time in salt or brackish water.
I don't expect that to change much.
I have the wrong boat and have to figure how to get into a similar
fiberglass version without draining my somewhat limited resources.

There are many aluminum boats that survive salt water use. The USCG uses
them.

They just have to be designed properly using proper materials and
anti-corrosion precautions.

Sure. If Donny wants to stick with aluminum, he needs to do some
research, focusing on salt water usage, care, and precautions.

Corrosion protection and prevention is a matter that needs attention on
ANY boat.

wrote:

[...]

He could make a decent repair by removing the snaps, filling and fairing
the holes and covering the repairs with a nice vinyl bootstripe. He
will. of course need to find a different method of tying down his cover.

wrote:

[...]

You make an interesting point with the vinyl stripe. That would not
only look good but could also provide an insulating layer for properly
installed stainless snaps, in conjunction with the right bedding
compound. The new snaps don't have to be in the same spot as the old,
just requires moving the snap locations on the cover. The dealer
might even be willing to help with a plan like that.

It isn't just the "mooring" cover that uses the snaps but also the stand up canvas with back and side panels that supposedly allow you to travel at speed in shade or in dry warm comfort in bad weather.

On 5/17/2014 8:34 AM, H*a*r*r*o*l*d wrote:
On 5/17/2014 7:59 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 5/17/2014 7:11 AM, True North wrote:
Jimmy boy... over the last two seasons I've used the boat 80 percent
of the time in salt or brackish water.
I don't expect that to change much.
I have the wrong boat and have to figure how to get into a similar
fiberglass version without draining my somewhat limited resources.

There are many aluminum boats that survive salt water use. The USCG uses
them.

They just have to be designed properly using proper materials and
anti-corrosion precautions.

Sure. If Donny wants to stick with aluminum, he needs to do some
research, focusing on salt water usage, care, and precautions.

Corrosion protection and prevention is a matter that needs attention on
ANY boat.

Yup. Fiberglass isn't exactly maintenance free and has it's own group
of problems.