Default Galvanic corrosion

True North wrote:
Went to a local maker of boat covers within walking distance of home and wasn't surprised to hear that they do come across the problem regularly....especially with older boats in for a new cover.
Guh gave me a few tips of how he frees up corroded screws etc.
Then went to the local marine supply store where I talked to an ex coast guard guy who used to install aluminum towers and stainless fittings on our salty coast.
He told me they used nylon washers and gaskets to separate the metals and recommend dedicated a product called Lanocote to apply to the screw shafts.
They didn't carry PB Blaster but he advised that a local hardware store did, so that was my next stop.
Took a peek at their manual impact screw driver, but at $43. I'll see if I really need it.
If I can't find the proper washers locally I may go over time Princess Auto and buy the property sized punch to make my own washers out of ice cream plastic containers.

Now *that's* funny!

True North wrote:
I was hoping we could maybe use the next size bigger self tappin screw, otherwise it might be a chore removing the the inner panels to get to the bottom of the gunnels in order to use a bolt and nut faster.

If you go that way, ask for self _tapping_ screws. You'll get better
results.

True North wrote:
[...]

"Guh" sounds like a decent guy.

True North wrote:
You're missing the point John.
Your suggestions would take care of the stem to stern travel/mooring cover but make the state drive uo can. As unusable.
Think Bimini with full separate side and back panels that you would operate the boat under in foul weather.

I'm thinking the guy that corrected a few of my typos can't spell or
write in complete sentences.

On 5/20/2014 8:00 PM, Wayne.B wrote:
On Tue, 20 May 2014 16:32:28 -0400, H*a*r*r*o*l*d
wrote:

On 5/20/2014 4:14 PM, Poquito Loco wrote:
On Tue, 20 May 2014 11:12:00 -0700 (PDT), True North wrote:

I was hoping we could maybe use the next size bigger self tappin screw, otherwise it might be a chore removing the the inner panels to get to the bottom of the gunnels in order to use a bolt and nut faster.

Nope, bad idea. Fill the holes and put straps on the cover - or buy one with the straps.

He paid $666 for that snap on cover. Now you want he should put straps
on it? He might as well have invested in a $20 tarp.

===

The issue as I understand it, is that he also has a spray
dodger/enclosure that uses the same snaps. Spray dodgers are common
in northern climes, especially on smaller open boats. They can make
it possible to go boating in conditions that would otherwise be wet,
cold and miserable.

What's wrong with foul weather gear. I'm sure you have it and use it.

On Tue, 20 May 2014 20:43:18 -0400, H*a*r*r*o*l*d
wrote:

The issue as I understand it, is that he also has a spray
dodger/enclosure that uses the same snaps. Spray dodgers are common
in northern climes, especially on smaller open boats. They can make
it possible to go boating in conditions that would otherwise be wet,
cold and miserable.

What's wrong with foul weather gear. I'm sure you have it and use it.

===

I used to use it a lot when I was racing sailboats in the North East
because that was the only thing that could keep you dry, not so much
here in Florida or farther south. Most people in the North East who
fish from smaller power boats have some sort of spray protection *and*
they wear foul weather gear. If I'm running on a wet windy day in the
tropics I'll usually wear a bathing suit, rinse it off at the end of
the day and call it good.

wrote:

The issue as I understand it, is that he also has a spray
dodger/enclosure that uses the same snaps. Spray dodgers are common
in northern climes, especially on smaller open boats. They can make
it possible to go boating in conditions that would otherwise be wet,
cold and miserable.

What's wrong with foul weather gear. I'm sure you have it and use it.

===

I used to use it a lot when I was racing sailboats in the North East
because that was the only thing that could keep you dry, not so much
here in Florida or farther south. Most people in the North East who
fish from smaller power boats have some sort of spray protection *and*
they wear foul weather gear. If I'm running on a wet windy day in the
tropics I'll usually wear a bathing suit, rinse it off at the end of
the day and call it good.

There is a benefit from boating in a tropical or sub tropical climate.
It sure beats dodging icebergs and windmills up north. :-)

On Wed, 21 May 2014 03:12:04 -0400, H*a*r*r*o*l*d
wrote:

There is a benefit from boating in a tropical or sub tropical climate.
It sure beats dodging icebergs and windmills up north. :-)

===

I think windmills are kind of cool, icebergs not so much. I'm of the
opinon that most of the people who fight windfarms are experiencing
rectal-cranial inversions. Every large windmill generates the
equivalent power of a 2,000 hp diesel engine, approximately 100
gallons per hour of fuel that could be going to some higher purpose
like running my boat or your RV. :-)

Bingo.. Prize goes to Wayne.
I actually have three covers for my boat.
The winter Navigloo structure and heavy tarp that does a good job for the elongated late fall/winter/spring season.
The stem to stern travel/mooring additional accessory cover that uses some of the factory installed snaps and expects you to install half a dozen more both sides on the gunnels.
Lastly the stand up foul weather "canvas" meant to extend your boating season up here.
This cover and it's 4 extra panels are why a couple dozen male snaps are attached to the boat..along the gunnels, around the curved walk through wind shield, on the stern, etc.etc.