Default Galvanic corrosion

On 5/20/2014 8:45 AM, F*O*A*D wrote:
On 5/20/14, 8:39 AM, True North wrote:
Duh, Jimmy.
I bought mine at the only dealer in the entire Atlantic Canada region
and it's within walking distance of the Northumberland Strait, which
is part of the Atlantic Ocean.
I noticed from the Legend site that there are two Quebec dealers near
the mouth of the St Lawrence River where the water is salty.
Looks like there is at least one dealer on the West Coast too.

If you need yet another reason to put FlaJim in your bozo bin, you have
it. The only reason he posts here is to see if he can aggravate those
who don't share his asshole political opinions. Why toss him a bone he
can chew on by acknowledging his posts? Like several of the righties who
pollute this newsgroup, he is boatless and whatever boating knowledge he
might have had ended when those 1970 and 1980 outdrives gave up the ghost.

As usual, you are way off base. Politics repulses me. I seek to agitate
assholes. Simple as that. Have a wonderful day.

On 5/20/2014 8:14 AM, H*a*r*r*o*l*d wrote:
On 5/20/2014 6:57 AM, True North wrote:
Yes Tim, I did tell them my favorite boating destinations...which are
all salt water.
Unless you have cottage on a lake and plan to just leave the boat
there, you'd really be limiting yourself in this area.
All the interesting areas to cruise are on the ocean.

Does your boat builder have a dealership at an ocean location?

On Thu, 15 May 2014 05:00:06 -0700 (PDT), True North wrote:

My new boat started to develop blisters under the gunnel paint where the cover snaps are attached.
After the 2nd season of use, I brought this to the attention of the dealer and Legend boats up in Ontario.
This was last October and the manufacturer still hasn't come up with a plan to remedy the problem.
I did the usual Google research and sent the links to the service manager at my dealer.

Guy at Legend said he didn't want to talk directly with me and problem should be handled through dealer.
They also wanted me to tow the boat back to the dealer ( 180 miles round trip ) so techs could check for stray current, which I did while down anyway for winter servicing. No stray current from my motor.
They also suggested that it could be a stray current problem at the docks I frequent or stray current at local, marinas.
I explained that most of the small boat launches I use have no electrical services and anyway, I'm only there long enough to get my trailer and retrieve the boat.
Anyway I just contacted the General Manager of the dealership (member of family who owns the business) who acted as my salesman two years ago when I showed up while the sales staff were away at a boat show.
He says he will look into problem.

From what I read, we have to remove the snaps that screw directly into the painted aluminum gunnel, sand, prime and paint affected areas.
Then we have to find a suitable gasket or washer to isolate the snap and the aluminum and even coat the shafts of the attaching screw with liquid electrical tape or silicone to isolate them as possible.

My question is, can those self tapping screws be backed out of the aluminum and then be re-installed?
I broke two bits trying with a hand screwdriver last fall, so I google up higher rated impact type bits like the Makita Gold
That should hold up in my corded drill/driver.
Anyone ever attempt this.

Don, I came into this thread late, but I'll give you my two cents worth anyway. Trash the snaps.
Fill the holes with JB Weld for aluminum, or something safe, and get a boat cover that ties on like
the one I had for the Key West. No metal touches the boat and the thing held up very well with heavy
snowfall. As you keep your boat in your yard, you can easily go out and brush the snow off, if that
worries you. Something like this:

http://tinyurl.com/oq8gcdv

There is no way I'd ever put holes into the body of anything to install snaps.

John, the snaps were installed at the factory to support the standup boat cover that you would use while underway.
This cover came as standard equipment with this boat.
I did order the optional stem to stern custom fit travel and summer storage cover because Legend claimed you could trailer it down the highway installed on the boat.

On 5/20/2014 10:09 AM, True North wrote:
John, the snaps were installed at the factory to support the standup boat cover that you would use while underway.
This cover came as standard equipment with this boat.
I did order the optional stem to stern custom fit travel and summer storage cover because Legend claimed you could trailer it down the highway installed on the boat.

How are all of Legend's claims working out for you?
Show me where Legend claims you can travel down the highway with the
storage cover installed.

Went to a local maker of boat covers within walking distance of home and wasn't surprised to hear that they do come across the problem regularly....especially with older boats in for a new cover.
Guh gave me a few tips of how he frees up corroded screws etc.
Then went to the local marine supply store where I talked to an ex coast guard guy who used to install aluminum towers and stainless fittings on our salty coast.
He told me they used nylon washers and gaskets to separate the metals and recommend dedicated a product called Lanocote to apply to the screw shafts.
They didn't carry PB Blaster but he advised that a local hardware store did, so that was my next stop.
Took a peek at their manual impact screw driver, but at $43. I'll see if I really need it.
If I can't find the proper washers locally I may go over time Princess Auto and buy the property sized punch to make my own washers out of ice cream plastic containers.

I was hoping we could maybe use the next size bigger self tappin screw, otherwise it might be a chore removing the the inner panels to get to the bottom of the gunnels in order to use a bolt and nut faster.

I was hoping we could maybe use the next size bigger self tappin screw, otherwise it might be a chore removing the the inner panels to get to the bottom of the gunnels in order to use a bolt and nut faster.

On Tue, 20 May 2014 10:03:24 -0700 (PDT), True North
wrote:

[...]

===

It sounds like your on the right track.

For nylon washers, Amazon is your friend:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Hillman-Gr.../dp/B00HYLZBCU

If you have trouble finding PB Blaster you can make your own with a
50/50 mixture of ATF (transmission fluid) and Acetone.

Bought the PB Blaster at Canadian Tire's auto dept.