Default Carver boats - a big mistake?

On Saturday, March 18, 2000 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Richard C. Belanger wrote:
Hi:

I have been looking at a new Carver 396. Looks like a nice boat, good
for the family, though not a hard-core offshore design. Everything has
been looking good until I went to http://www.yachtsurvey.com

David Pascoe has a post on Carver's that makes me feel I would be better
off lashing together some logs than getting a Carver. Needless to say I
am more than a little concerned.

He points out major problems in the fabrication of Carver boats - and
essentially says they are unworthy of any consideration.

We have been comparing Carver's to Maxum and SeaRay and have liked the
Carver's better - partly because they seem to be more solidly put
together. Some friends who have newer Carver's and cruise them heavily
have also had good things to say about the seaworthiness of the boat.

I hadn't considered the more hard-core boats like Bertram and Hatteras
since I believed they were completely out of my price range.

Any opinions out there? Would I be making a huge mistake with a
Carver? Should I just keep saving for a better quality boat? My
primary goal is cruising the boat in Massachusetts waters - based out of
Boston.

Thanks,

Rich

I know this post is old but I came across it.So some one else will...DON'T LET THESE GOOFS SCARE YOU OFF FROM PURCHASING A BAYLINER OR CARVER...I WILL POST ONE POINT THAT THESE DUMB ASS BAYLINER BASHERS WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND.A BAYLINER MY IS ONE OF THE BEST YACHTS MADE WITH HULSS THICKER THAN YOUR FINGER.AND THEIR MOST POPULAR DESIGN WAS SLOLEN BY HATTARAS AND STILL USED TO THIS DAY FROM THE 4788 PILOTHOUSE...HAVE A NICE DAY AND ENJOY YOUR BAYLINERS AND CARVERS..GREAT BOATS FOR THE USED MARKET MONEY!!!!...NOT ONLY RICH ASS HOLE DEMOCRAPS CAN OWN A BOAT YOU BLUE COLLAR SMART PEOPLE CAN TOO...
Tim Tim is offline

On Thursday, March 27, 2014 11:01:15 PM UTC-7, wrote:

I know this post is old but I came across it.So some one else will...DON'T LET THESE GOOFS SCARE YOU OFF FROM PURCHASING A BAYLINER OR CARVER...I WILL POST ONE POINT THAT THESE DUMB ASS BAYLINER BASHERS WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND.A BAYLINER MY IS ONE OF THE BEST YACHTS MADE WITH HULSS THICKER THAN YOUR FINGER.AND THEIR MOST POPULAR DESIGN WAS SLOLEN BY HATTARAS AND STILL USED TO THIS DAY FROM THE 4788 PILOTHOUSE...HAVE A NICE DAY AND ENJOY YOUR BAYLINERS AND CARVERS..GREAT BOATS FOR THE USED MARKET MONEY!!!!...NOT ONLY RICH ASS HOLE DEMOCRAPS CAN OWN A BOAT YOU BLUE COLLAR SMART PEOPLE CAN TOO...

Cmon man. Don't hold back. Tell us how you really think!

?;^ )

On 3/28/2014 8:52 AM, Tim wrote:
On Thursday, March 27, 2014 11:01:15 PM UTC-7, wrote:

I know this post is old but I came across it.So some one else will...DON'T LET THESE GOOFS SCARE YOU OFF FROM PURCHASING A BAYLINER OR CARVER...I WILL POST ONE POINT THAT THESE DUMB ASS BAYLINER BASHERS WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND.A BAYLINER MY IS ONE OF THE BEST YACHTS MADE WITH HULSS THICKER THAN YOUR FINGER.AND THEIR MOST POPULAR DESIGN WAS SLOLEN BY HATTARAS AND STILL USED TO THIS DAY FROM THE 4788 PILOTHOUSE...HAVE A NICE DAY AND ENJOY YOUR BAYLINERS AND CARVERS..GREAT BOATS FOR THE USED MARKET MONEY!!!!...NOT ONLY RICH ASS HOLE DEMOCRAPS CAN OWN A BOAT YOU BLUE COLLAR SMART PEOPLE CAN TOO...

Cmon man. Don't hold back. Tell us how you really think!

?;^ )

Did you notice the date of the post this guy was responding to?

"Saturday, March 18, 2000"

Must have a very slow computer.

On Fri, 28 Mar 2014 08:57:24 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 3/28/2014 8:52 AM, Tim wrote:
[...]

And I think the boat being reviewed was a 1994 Carver!

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/boatreviews/Carver370.htm

"The boat that put Carver over the threshold for us is this 1994 model 370 that experienced massive
bottom laminate failure."

Must still be using string land lines.

On 3/28/2014 8:52 AM, Tim wrote:
[...]

Back in 2000 when I was shopping for my first larger boat a local dealer
was really pushing a new Carver on me and making me offers "I couldn't
refuse" (according to him). It was nicely done inside but was one of
those high backed cockpit type that you have to climb up a ladder to
board. I passed, despite his best efforts. That's when I ended up
buying the Navigator. Much better built boat, huge stringers compared
to the Carver. You could tell just by looking at the construction the
Navigator was a well designed and well built boat. Jules Marshall (the
designer) backed off on the bling and focused on structure.

When the bow thruster was installed I saved a piece of the hull that
they cut out. The hull of the Navigator was solid fiberglass that was
1-1/4" thick. I mounted a piece on a framed display board and had it
hanging in the salon.

wrote:

I know this post is old but I came across it.So some one else
will...DON'T LET THESE GOOFS SCARE YOU OFF FROM PURCHASING A BAYLINER
OR CARVER...I WILL POST ONE POINT THAT THESE DUMB ASS BAYLINER
BASHERS WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND.A BAYLINER MY IS ONE OF THE BEST YACHTS
MADE WITH HULSS THICKER THAN YOUR FINGER.AND THEIR MOST POPULAR
DESIGN WAS SLOLEN BY HATTARAS AND STILL USED TO THIS DAY FROM THE
4788 PILOTHOUSE...HAVE A NICE DAY AND ENJOY YOUR BAYLINERS AND
CARVERS..GREAT BOATS FOR THE USED MARKET MONEY!!!!...NOT ONLY RICH
ASS HOLE DEMOCRAPS CAN OWN A BOAT YOU BLUE COLLAR SMART PEOPLE CAN
TOO...

Cmon man. Don't hold back. Tell us how you really think!

?;^ )

Did you notice the date of the post this guy was responding to?

"Saturday, March 18, 2000"

Must have a very slow computer.

It's the latest model Greggster 8088, running Windows 1.1, and is
connected to a 150 BPS acoustic modem.

Please Help Fix My Mistake supsand General 16 June 22nd 06 06:55 PM
Scotty's mistake Joe ASA 146 April 7th 06 03:18 AM
mistake Doug Kanter General 4 August 2nd 05 05:49 AM
Stupid Mistake Dwayne S. Byrd General 7 June 11th 05 03:28 PM
Another mistake? The_navigator© ASA 13 November 24th 03 03:59 AM